The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sunday I pulled into grid and someone said there was a cone stuck behind the front passenger side wheel.

I said "would you mind pulling it out?"

In retrospect, I should have gotten out of the car.

He tugged and tugged, mentioned half jokingly we are going to need a jack... someone else joined in, I nudged the car back and forth using the clutch....and then it finally popped loose. Then I forget about it.

The next morning...backing out of my driveway, I hera a really bad sound from that wheel. Sounds like something is breaking off. I stop the car and look.

The mudflap behind the wheel was loose, all the screws were mostly pulled out. One screw was sticking almost fully out and the tire was catching on it. Not that big of a deal, it just sounded much worse inside.

So anyway, I thought I would post this as a word of advice to others. If a cone gets stuck on the Elise, take your time and be gentle. Maybe even jack up that corner.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yikes, but Randy your suppose to avoid the cones! But then if that were the case the rear fender on my Caterham would not be all stress cracked. I sucked one up between the tire and fender and when it came out I lost some fiber glass bits.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Would it be easier use a knife and just to cut the cone into smaller pieces next time?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutting it up would certainly be an option.

I am thinking it is a freak thing... but the point is that on most cars, you can yank with all your might and free a stuck cone. On the Elise, you may want to use more finesse.

There was no harm to the mudflap or attachment points, they simply pulled out from their threaded holes and seem to thread back in just fine.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Chris, you wuss! ;)

I agree, though. Avoiding the cones is best. All joking aside, I'd rather pull off the wheel than risk more damage. Thanks for the post, Randy. I hope all is back in place.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The wheel well liners and mud flaps are held in by some T-headed plastic or rubber bushings. Which then have a plastic phillips head screw inserted into their center to expand the bushing OD for retention in the body panel hole in which they live. This appears to be a good way to attach things to the composite panels. They are not that strong though, which is okay as they give a little bit hence protecting the more expensive stuff. Better to pop a few loose than crack fiberglass. I've had the front partial liner off to install better low beam bulbs and to raise the aim. And also the LHS rear wheel well cover so that I could access the air filter box when I loaded in a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
things like this and other recent events will insure my staying FAAAAAAAAAAAR off the auto cross course.
Chris;)
Autocross course? This happened in a McDonald's parking lot right?!?! (Wink wink, nudge nudge!) :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I dunno Chris, there seems to be a lot more damage occurring in driveways and parking lots (those not used for autocross, that is) than while autocrossing. This wasn't even real damage...the mudflap popped loose. What other events have you concerned?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
John Stimson said:
I dunno Chris, there seems to be a lot more damage occurring in driveways and parking lots (those not used for autocross, that is) than while autocrossing. This wasn't even real damage...the mudflap popped loose. What other events have you concerned?
There was a short-lived thread about something that may or may not have happened at or near an autocross in which an Elise may or may not have been written off.

By the way, if anybody has any pictures of a Fed. Elise after a hard collision with a solid object I would be interested in seeing them. I don't need to hear the story. I don't want anything incriminating to anybody involved.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm apologizing in advance if you already saw this, but I thought it was hilarious. Apparently someone's OnStar kept kicking on during runs, with the operator noting an airbag deployment. This comes from JJerry on an SCCA board:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"That's hilarious!!! My company designs antennas for OnStar so I got to tell the guys at work. I can see it now...

"Help me I just braked too late and am smoking my front tires. I'm way off line and into the marbles. WHAT DO I DO??!!..."

"Well sir, ease off the brakes until the wheels stop smoking. Have you hit any cones yet?..."

"YES, YES, there are course workers running everywhere!!! and I'm dragging cones under my front spoiler!!"

"I'm sorry sir but I can't help you. Your run is toast. Please exit the coarse; and please pull those cones out from under your car before you cause anymore embarassment to yourself; and try to have a nice day "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be me, unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
James A said:
Yikes, but Randy your suppose to avoid the cones! But then if that were the case the rear fender on my Caterham would not be all stress cracked. I sucked one up between the tire and fender and when it came out I lost some fiber glass bits.
BTDT, BTTS. :mad: :D
I quit autoxing the se7en after that. despite the fact that you're about sitting on the rear axle in these things, the rear can really snag passing objects.
Actually I quit autoxing did more trackdays.
m

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I was working/driving an Auto X in Atlanta this weekend. JamesA comes flying by my station (with passenger) in his Caterham 7. He barely clips a cone with the right front wheel and sends the cone right into the passengers arms! They were so close I could see the shocked look on his face. After a couple more gates he tossed the cone out for us. I guess this is why I have doors on my car? Quite a funny moment.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That reminds me of Johnny (the Paper Boy) in "Better Off Dead." :p "I want my two dollars!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts