The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This would be a fun project. Have been thinking about what I want cars to say to each other for years.

I think they are wrong. This is a step towards cars that will drive themselves. I think this will be a good thing for the younger generation. they will have time for what they already do anyway while driving. Texting, talking on the cell phone, doing makeup, war games on the xbox

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
oh yea, I read about this a few months back. Not a big fan. Supposedly going to be the first step to autonomous cars. And when cars start reporting their position etc to some centralized computer, they said they won't use that data to prosecute anyone for speeding. I say they will use it for that and more. First step to literally every move we make being recorded. not a fan!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
oh yea, I read about this a few months back. Not a big fan. Supposedly going to be the first step to autonomous cars. And when cars start reporting their position etc to some centralized computer, they said they won't use that data to prosecute anyone for speeding. I say they will use it for that and more. First step to literally every move we make being recorded. not a fan!

Your location is always being continually broadcast/reported by your cell phone at all times (even if turned off). Why does this intrusion not bother you?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Your location is always being continually broadcast/reported by your cell phone at all times (even if turned off). Why does this intrusion not bother you?
erm, without a gps enabled phone, they can only get my general location (within like 100m). When turned off, i believe they can only get the last location when your phone was on. The fact they have to triangulate your position etc means that it takes time to do this. As opposed to just directly telling them "hey, I'm on the corner of 22nd and washington, in the rightmost turning lane, accelerating at 2.3m/s^2". Which is accuracy our cell phones don't have, but they will need to make this work. So instead of having to go through hoops to get a general position, an exact position will be readily available to them, hence a substantial difference

If i remember correctly, they supposedly want to start out only using close range comms car-to-car only, with your car constantly communicating your position, speed etc. Not for autonomy, but more of a detection system.

So as I said, it starts out with the best of intentions until "the infrastructure is there, why don't we just ..." comes along

Just my $.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts