The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Ok, so I'm taking apart the ignition area to try and diagnose the turn signal issue I'm having. From the service manual, searching for "ignition", it appears that I'm going to need to replace both 73 and 72 in 32.03A section. I was trying to lightly tug the plastic piece (73) from the main part (72) and the tiny plastic pin broke off from the middle. Now, of course, turning the ignition, it turns freely with no resistance. Any chance this part is cross referenced with GM or someone cheap? I know, should've checked all of my fuses first. Lesson learned. Trying to get to know the car.

Here's 73 from the manual:

And here's the part where it broke off from:

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
It appears to be the same as a Daewoo Matiz Mk1 & Mk2 ignition switch.
WOW, Bob, I'm IMPRESSED with your knowledge of ignition switches!:cool:

(Unless you were kidding, then it's :thwack: on me) :D

+++++++++++++

I didn't see a pin in the photos LM, but there IS a broken retaining lug on the right side of your first picture. Without that lug doing it's job, the barrel pin would not engage the slot in the switch and just turn free.

Have you tried holding the switch to the aluminum lock barrel temporarily with a zip-tie or something, until you see if the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects can supply the black switch?

EDIT: On the 3rd pic I see a metal pin still in the aluminum casting (under the cadmium bracket). Did you pry the switch out without removing that pin?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried getting it out but it won't come out. I'm guessing I can just replace both parts and refit them?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm a bit curious as to why you needed to remove this part to resolve a turn signal issue. Isn't the turn signal switch/stalk a separate assembly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really couldn't find the info I needed from the service manual so I just started taking things apart to clean contacts since I found one pair that were kind of corroded.

Didn't seem like there were other topics on the forum that discussed resolving a turn signal/hazard light issue so I thought I'd just start with things close to the stalk and go out from there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got the part from davebean. The only issue is finding how to install the new one. Looking closely at the receiving end (on the steering column), it appears that there are extremely tiny screws that are flat head (2 total) for the left and right side where the module is fitted. Has anyone tackled this before that can confirm I need to remove these two small pins before I break something else?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
If you look at your last picture (and my post, #3) that upper "pin" underneath the cadmium bracket looks as if it has a screw slot. Don't know if a screw or pin is in the lower side (just above the brown wire).

If so, that's a BONUS. Sometimes the factories would use a shear bolt that needed to be drilled out, then replaced with new. I think that the ignition switch is retained with two screws or pins that fit through the "hoops" in the first pic (one of which was broken).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I was thinking too, but even the jeweler's set of smaller heads I don't think will fit into that tiny spot. Also just wanted to confirm that these are indeed screws and not riveted/welded pins.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts