The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

How many consecutive HPDEs could I safely get out of one oil change and pre-track inspection?

Thinking of going to NJMP 2 to 4 consecutive days and probably wouldn't have a chance to
do much other than torque lug nuts and check tire pressures in between each day.

Or maybe I need to see a shrink about track addiction :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Personally I change my oil after about 6-8 days on track (4 25 minute sessions per day). I don't do much street driving and when the oil comes out it actually still looks pretty good.

As for the pre-track inspection, I do that every time before I go to the track. This should not be skipped.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
As for the pre-track inspection, I do that every time before I go to the track. This should not be skipped.
Chili, this is really, really, really good advice.

dont be lazy about this stuff guys, you will find out the hard way what happens when you are putting off simple inspections, and just putting a wrench on stuff and verifying that its snug.

perhaps someone who tracks their lotus frequently can put together a list of the stuff that needs to be checked so its easy for those who are not familiar with the cars. This really should be a sticky in the racing den section for the lotus.

I check every suspension part(all the nuts and bolts) on my cars, inspect pads, bleeds brakes, check all fluid levels, inspect the tires for even/correct wear. I also visually inspect anything that i can.

after you get familiar with the car it doesnt take that much time, and it becomes fun, especially when that time comes that you find something loose, or broken, and you prevent disaster to you, your car, or someone else who is out on the track with you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can get my mechanic to point out exactly what he looks for during the pre-track inspection.

I can see the inspection check list, though I'm not entirely familiar with the mechanical bits yet.

(Example NASA - PDA check list from my last event attached.)

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Personally I change my oil after about 6-8 days on track (4 25 minute sessions per day). I don't do much street driving and when the oil comes out it actually still looks pretty good.
The color of your oil has little to do with anything unless there's a major problem with your engine. Go to Blackstone or some other site and order up a free kit. Do a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) and let them tell you how effective your oil still is. Without that, you might as well change it every day or once a year, all of those options are valid based solely on looking at the oil.

I have only part of two days on the oil + unknown interval on the car (same oil as from when I bought my elise used) otherwise I'd let you know what they show. My purely guess is that 8 track days and < 6 months on the oil will be fine, but again without a UOA, it's just a guess.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The color of your oil has little to do with anything unless there's a major problem with your engine. Go to Blackstone or some other site and order up a free kit. Do a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) and let them tell you how effective your oil still is. Without that, you might as well change it every day or once a year, all of those options are valid based solely on looking at the oil.

I have only part of two days on the oil + unknown interval on the car (same oil as from when I bought my elise used) otherwise I'd let you know what they show. My purely guess is that 8 track days and < 6 months on the oil will be fine, but again without a UOA, it's just a guess.
Let me also say I do 6-8 track days in every month or 2 so my oil gets changed quite often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts