The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 6 months ago. In working on it, I discovered that the wires had all been cut to the immobilizer behind the driver's seat and the module removed. That didn't bother me in the least. I've had enough British cars to willingly skip out on added complexity. (The worst was an 87 Jag XJS V12 that literally had parts go bad sitting in the garage...)
The locks on the Elise didn't work when I got the car, but my understanding was that was a separate system from the immobilizer/alarm. I ordered a new CDL module from England and put it in last week. It didn't fix them. So, back to the key it is.
But wait. There's more. Two days ago, I was driving it and the red light above the tach was blinking. While I was driving, I hit the button on the fob to see if it would go out. Instead, my gauges went dead. The red light comes on and the turn signal light works, but everything else has been dead ever since. I don't see how the key fob would kill the gauges, but it would be a crazy coincidence if it happened randomly the instant I hit the button. Then, in the final insult, I went to a 4 hour job interview today and the second I pulled into the parking spot, the alarm started going off. I didn't even know the siren worked! Best part is that it wouldn't shut off. I unhooked the battery and it still kept going (although at a quieter level). So the alarm stayed on for 4 hours in the parking lot while I interviewed. Way to make an impression. When I got back in to drive home, I found the right fuse and pulled it so it finally shut off.
(Yes, the obvious question is why I didn't pull the fuse earlier. But I was late and didn't know which fuse it was, so I just yanked the battery cable and called it good.)
So I have no idea where to begin. I have no locks. No gauges at all. The red light stays on all the time. And the alarm siren goes off at random. There has to be a common cause. Any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feel your pain. That sounds really complicated. Not really sure where you should start. First check all the fuses with a meter.
I had all sorts of weird things go on with the alarm. If the door pins and pins under the front panels aren't properly pushed in , the alarm doesn't like that. Also the vanity light switch I believe altered the alarm function from what I recall ... From bunch of years back. Sorry and best of luck.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Shortly after buying my Elise years ago, I went out to lunch, and the alarm decided I wouldn't be driving the car back, and went off every time I opened the door.

After towing the car back home, I removed and bypassed the alarm and immobilizer, and didn't look back. Can still lock the car with the keyholes in door handle buttons. Not worth the worry of leaving me stranded again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Shortly after buying my Elise years ago, I went out to lunch, and the alarm decided I wouldn't be driving the car back, and went off every time I opened the door.

After towing the car back home, I removed and bypassed the alarm and immobilizer, and didn't look back. Can still lock the car with the keyholes in door handle buttons. Not worth the worry of leaving me stranded again.
Second this

Remove the whole thing and just use the key locks if you need.
I actually disconnected the central locking and used that switch switch point to switch the starter pins on the immobilizer (the pins that you jump when removing the immobilizer)
So its like a hidden kill switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar issue, and a very similar circumstance. My complete console went dead, except for the regular lights (turn, etc), when trying to start the car (in my case, the start button broke, so I had to break it, and jump some contacts)... When driving, after a minute, the immobilizer blinking light comes back on now.

I have my dash, and half the car torn apart, and I ordered a GARW, and am waiting on it (supposedly shipping in November - wish it was sooner), but I went through everything in the book to get the Tach, Odo, and Speedometer back. I don't have any good news for you, as I've tried everything from the forums, including reflowing all the leads, and even trying to warm it up in the oven, because it's cold out here, but if you find something that works, let me know, because I've given up.

At this point, I'd give my left (_) to pull up the exact odometer reading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for the alarm going off randomly, have you tried pointing your cabin light down? Sounds moronic, but this worked for me, a while back, and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know of a step-by-step to simply remove it all? This sounds crazy...scares me that I could be stranded because of seemingly random things. I'd rather simply remove the thing/bypass it...whatever.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
The consequences are that your battery life and sanity will be improved. All of our Lotuses have them removed and the sky is bluer and the grass greener as a result.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does anyone know of a step-by-step to simply remove it all? This sounds crazy...scares me that I could be stranded because of seemingly random things. I'd rather simply remove the thing/bypass it...whatever.
I followed this but instead of cutting and splicing the car side harness I used the mobilizer plug as a jumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts