The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm considering purchasing a 2007 Elise with about 6,000 miles (10,000km) on the odometer.

Is there anything I need to need to be asking the seller about outside the obvious things like collisions and maintenance? For instance, have there been any recalls that should have been repaired that I may not know about?

Also, are there any reasons I should walk away and not consider purchasing the car?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to being an active member.

·
Registered
903 Posts
There should be an oil line recall that it most definitely needs if it hasn't been done.

Check the front and rear for spider cracks and point them out as a reason for bargaining the price.

Make sure he's giving you the lugnut "key" if it's got locking lugs - and make sure he's giving you the spline as well to remove the rest of the lug bolts

That said - drive it or ride in it with him to understand what kind of car it is. It will beat the **** out of you commuting in it (if that's what you're doing) but will leave you with a smile on your face long after your arms aren't tired and your back-sweat from the sun (this summer at least) has dried.

·
Registered
945 Posts
+1 for the oil recall. I think they discontinued the keyed lugs for 06, but does not hurt to ask.

Make sure you get the alarm PIN from the seller or a dealer.

With 6k on the clock nothing special should have been done. Go over the bodywork with a fine tooth comb and make sure your test drive/ride/inspection includes running the car up to 7500rpm, verifying that the high camshaft engages at 6300rpm if the car is stock (you will notice if it is working as it is very dramatic).

If you are a stickler for "by the book" the coolant should have been changed due to years elapsed, but that's unlikely to be an issue and I'm sure plenty of 05 model cars have been running around for 10 years on the factory coolant by now without issue.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
On top of the above replies:
If you still live in Canada, I would be worried about corrosion, on top of the usual:
1. Loose toe links
2. Oil line recall
3. Stress cracks in the body
4. Check to make sure it's not a salvage
5. Check the radiator for leaks at the plastic end caps
6. Check that the AC is working properly. The fan motor corrodes.
7. Check if all the seals keep water out
8. Ask what upgrades he has done.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm considering purchasing a 2007 Elise with about 6,000 miles (10,000km) on the odometer.

Is there anything I need to need to be asking the seller about outside the obvious things like collisions and maintenance? For instance, have there been any recalls that should have been repaired that I may not know about?

Also, are there any reasons I should walk away and not consider purchasing the car?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to being an active member.

·
Registered
581 Posts
there was a buyers checklist on sticky back when i was on the market. I can find it anymore, (must be looking at the wrong place). Maybe somebody can chime in.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
There are special considerations when looking at a garage queen. Ask about when all the fluids were replaced. Don't skimp on the PPI, find someone who knows lotus a bit. Ask what was the longest time it wasn't driven and if it was winterized correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What's a ppi?

Welcome! Before you buy, you really need to do some reading here. Have a ppi done and have someone here check out the car.
Thanks for the welcome SturgeonGenral.

Help out a novice... what's a PPI? --> ahh, got it.... Pre-Purchase Inspection... already had it done by a local mechanic who happens to own an Elise himself.

And, thanks to the folks who mentioned the recall. I've confirmed the oil line recall was performed as well.

And how do I go about getting someone "here" to check out a car in eastern Canada? What exactly would they be checking out for me?

·
Registered
945 Posts
And how do I go about getting someone "here" to check out a car in eastern Canada? What exactly would they be checking out for me?
Just make a post here, but if your mechanic owns an Elise you're probably fine.

The reason people suggest getting both a mechanic's PPI and a forum member is that an average mechanic can verify that nothing is blatantly broken, but might not know about the little Elise specific issues that could affect the value (verifying that the high lift cam functions, checking for bodywork spiderwebbing, radiator leak issues, and so on).

But if your mechanic has an Elise, you just killed two birds with one stone IMO.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Where are you located?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts