The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Elise and have been thinking about adding a rear spoiler like the one in the attached pic (newer style Exige spoiler, right?).......but I have read a post that it could crack the rear clam over time. Looking for opinions on what people think of the look AND whether it could damage the clam (or mounting options that could eliminate possible damage).
I love the look but don't want to damage my ride......Opinions? Feedback?......Words of Wisdom?

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can't really comment on the structural soundness, but have you looked at the Cup R one? Presumably that one should be OK since it's designed for the Elise. Can't find one though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have that wing/spoiler (Exige 2010) on my Elise. The shop I had installed it at, put in a bracket/brace for it in the boot.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
You can watch the stock 2011 style wing flap around in the rearview at 60mph or more. It flexes a LOT! I sold mine and went with HKFEVER's dry carbon one. No flex. I have an Exige and don't have any clam issues.

San

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I did it ... Like Sage San says, go with the CF and no flapping. I added my own reinforcement and after 1 1/2 years, no signs of structural compromise.
It DEFINITELY adds downforce ... and DRAG so be prepared for lower MPG.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Most people would agree that the Exige GT4 wing is a bit much on an Elise. I modified one with new, shorter, inboard stanchions. It does t flex at all, no clam damage after several thousand miles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
^ you need to bring that thing out sometime. met up with coyne this past weekend, come join this weekend before i sell my k20 turbo lotus.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This is the Exige Cup car, but it's the same on the Elise Cup R, they use extra support braces on both sides under the spoiler within the rear boot:

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
Everyone hates on me for this, but I love the way the Elise looks without a spoiler. I think it looks better without a spoiler. But, everyone has their own opinion!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I installed the same wing but like mentioned above with the Carbon Fiber version from HKFever. Here is my pic and works great, been up to high speeds for long periods at Daytona and no flexing. The only extra structural thing I did was take aluminum plate, cut it to the shape of the base of the wing ends and lined the underneath so no single bolt was pushing harder than the others.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
The only extra structural thing I did was take aluminum plate, cut it to the shape of the base of the wing ends and lined the underneath so no single bolt was pushing harder than the others.
I did the same thing to spread the pressure over a larger area.

San

·
Registered
86 Posts
I purchased the GTC-200 and love it. We did some track tests with and without and it took our 1:44 lap time down to 1:40 so a pretty significant effect.

Also, it's adjustable so you can level it out for road use and give it a more aggressive angle on the track...

It required two holes per post in the rear clam and includes stiffener mounts in the trunk.

APR Performance - Vehicle Application - Lotus Elise / Exige

It also matches the carbon roof I use for the track...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I always though that the later Exige wing looked like it was supposed to be a carry handle.

I would assume that the Elise body, being more flexible, would be less prone to cracking than an Exige though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts