The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Im jason. Right now I own a 1993 300zx twin turbo. I plan on going to Iraq as a contractor and will be making some decent coin out there. When I get back I plan on buying another play car. And that is why I am here. I always liked the Esprit TTs, but how reliable are they? Granted I dont intend on DDing my toy cars, but Id like to focus my $s more on upgrades then maintenance. Do these cars have good HP potential on stock internals? Is there a lot of support for aftermarket upgrades for these cars? Is there anything I should consider before buying one of these?
Right now Im considering getting a MK IV supra, a SC300, a LS powered 3rd gen RX7(apex seals are for suckers), a WS6 or something with a LS motor in it, or a 03+ cobra mustang. I dont want to spend more than 35-40k.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Of your choice, the Esprit V8 would be the most tempermental, but also, in my opinion, be the most rare, most fun, and overall cooler car to own. The maint. costs on a well maintained TT V8 Esprit is not too bad. You can def. get a lot more power out of them too, with simple things, like a chip, and exhaust upgrade. I say go for the Esprit.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
My car sneezes
659 Posts
I always liked the Esprit TTs, but how reliable are they?
It depends on the condition of the car and how it's driven. I've put over 20k hard (but not abused) miles on my car with only one repair (at 3k mi) other than reg maint and that was operator error (2nd gear). I've also seen some peple spend thousands ($10k+) to get a just-purchased V8 all sorted. Also, early V8's (00 and older) use a diff liner sealant known to fail. The later V8's don't have this issue

Do these cars have good HP potential on stock internals?
Obviously tuning is the key here and you are limited. I'd say the majority of blown V8's blew at less than 400rwhp because they were not modded properly. With some form of intercooling (no intercooling stock) and a proper air/fuel. I think ~ 450-475rwhp is the safe limit of stock internals, the cast pistons specifically.

Now that may not seem much, but that is very fast on a 2900 lb car with almost no lag (3k-7k rpm powerband)

Is there a lot of support for aftermarket upgrades for these cars?
No. Very little

Is there anything I should consider before buying one of these?
Right now Im considering getting a MK IV supra, a SC300, a LS powered 3rd gen RX7(apex seals are for suckers), a WS6 or something with a LS motor in it, or a 03+ cobra mustang. I dont want to spend more than 35-40k.

It depends on your style of driving and what you want the car for. Do you want something that can handle decently, cheap to mod and can be abused, you cant beat a LSx RX7 or WS6. The cobra has a huge USABLE HP potential but that's all. The Toyota's just have a huge HP potential. ;)

While the Esprit is the most exotic and most balanced, it can't be abused. No burnouts, no clutch dumps, no powershifting (I learned this the hard way). It's a very rewarding car that demands patience and respect. Is that something you are looking for?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
+1 what gmendoz said.

I'd sum it up by saying if you're looking for a plug and play, low maintenance car that can be highly modded, and driven hard without an investment in preventive maintenance, this car probably isn't for you.

AND, when you do go about buying parts, many are very expensive. AND if you cannot do the work yourself, you will absolutely need to pay someone who knows their way around these cars, not your average shop. And you will likely pay dearly for that, too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With ~$40k I may be able to squeeze a Porsche 996TT. Was looking at them online last night. Who wouldnt take a 996TT over an Esprit TT?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want toy cars that I can actually drive. Apparently the Esprit TT doesnt fit the bill. Its quick, and dead sexy, but from what Im hearing, it doesnt like being driven. Its mid engine anyway, which is a bi*ch to work on.

·
My car sneezes
659 Posts
I want toy cars that I can actually drive. Apparently the Esprit TT doesnt fit the bill. Its quick, and dead sexy, but from what Im hearing, it doesnt like being driven. Its mid engine anyway, which is a bi*ch to work on.

Actually quite the opposite. It needs to be driven. Usually low mileage garage queens are the most unreliable. You just cant abuse the car. Drive it hard, yes. Abuse it, no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually quite the opposite. It needs to be driven. Usually low mileage garage queens are the most unreliable. You just cant abuse the car. Drive it hard, yes. Abuse it, no.
MY 300ZXTT is a garage queen. 35k miles. Since she wasnt started/ran regularly all the seals were shot. I upgraded the ecu which brought the boost to 15lbs(this number has been proven to be reliable on these cars) and blew the driver's side turbo seal. Since it isn't mid engine, I get to pull the motor and drop in some goodies. Soon she will be at 550whp on pump gas. I know exactly what you are talking about.

I want another toy car that I dont have to worry about if I shift at ~6k, can peel out in (not rolling burnouts), and drive spiritedly. Im pretty well versed in motors and how to work on them. Since the lotus Id want is mid engine, this is obviously a major inconvenience to perform maintenance/repairs.

That being said, the 300zx has expensive, fairly extensive scheduled maintenance required every 60k miles(costs about $500 just in parts and a few hours to do). Is there anything like that for these cars that I should be aware of?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts