The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have chosen autocross as our motorsport of choice. We aren't very
. Although the car is small, it has enough room for all of our gear. On longer trips we tow a tire trailer or trailer the car.
We have a year old toddler right now and he fit until he outgrew his lift-out rear facing child seat. Our autocross days generally start by dropping off the little guy at his grandmother's house so we are mostly trailering the car to events right now.

The little guy is large for his age and could move to a front facing car seat in a few months. After using the Mini as an autocross only car for the last 6 months, we are debating whether we keep it or move on to something else. I wouldn't mind something a little more comfortable on the street and I don't have as much time to tinker with cars as I use to. The original plan was to get a an E90 M3 or a Ford Focus RS. I have been a fan of Evoras since they came out. We are in a weird place where tiny backseats fit our needs pretty well. I figured we should at least take a look.

Here are my questions

Do you prefer a 2011-2015 Evora or Evora S for autocross duties? The base Evora is classed better and local B Street competition is pretty good. The S will be more fun for street driving but I am not sure if that extra power is usable on an autocross course. How does the supercharger deal with autocross heat loads? We have to spend time between each running spraying down the Mini's intercooler or it pulls timing.

Are there any trim packages I should look for or avoid? I was a bit concerned about the close ratio gearbox but it thankfully does not affect 2nd gear. It looks like the sport package is pretty much required as it increases the red line for a few extra mph in 2nd gear.

Do I need to worry about cracking the fiberglass on a hard cone hit? Is there anything I can do to strengthen the front corners? Does a starshield help?

Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the Evora? I am interested in towing a 500lb tire trailer or attaching a bike rack depending on the event. I found an Elise hitch made by BOE but I haven't seen anything for the Evora.

What do you use for numbers? I am guessing magnets won't work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I autocross my 2011 Evora NA and can answer a few of the questions you have. I have not cracked anything hitting a cone, and I have killed several as I'm not very good. My local autocross group uses the smaller cones (like maybe 1' tall) though, not the large ones (2' tall), so that may contribute. In terms of numbers, I just use blue masking tape on the doors, peel it off after I'm done. I have talked to other folks who have fiberglass bodied cars, and they have used static cling numbers that you can order online, but they say that these only last for maybe a season and you have to have the surface REALLY clean to get them to stick. Most of them have track only fiberglass cars, and have just either painted their numbers on permanently or used semi-permanent stickers for numbers.

I also use masking tape to tape off the front corners of the car and the rear wheel arches, just to make my life easier. As I tend to hit cones a lot, I just have to peel the tape off to get rid of cone marks instead of having to get them off the starshield or the paint. Sure, it may look kinda dumb, but I'm not autocrossing to look cool, just to improve my driving skills and have fun doing it!

My Evora has the sport pack, which has the close ratio gears, and really I think it works just fine for autocross. Frankly, as soon as I am out of first, I just stay in second the whole time unless there is a really slow u-turn because 1st gear really tops out around 30 mph, and I'd just lose time shifting down and then immediately back into second in the rare occasion that would warrant a downshift. 2nd is good from around 30 up to 70 for me, so it is pretty much perfect through a full run.

In terms of a tow hitch, you are not going to find one for the Evora because there is nowhere to mount one. I replaced the stock exhaust with the Plack exhaust (glorified straight pipe really), and the stock exhaust takes up all the room underneath the rear diffuser. There is nothing structural under there where a trailer hitch could be installed. As a bonus, the Plack makes the car sound like it should and removes around 40 lbs from the rear without changing the classing. The stock exhaust is absurdly large and heavy, and makes the car sound like a sewing machine.

I have no info about the supercharger, as mine is NA, but I've never had any problem with overheating or anything related to that while autocrossing. I will say that there is a guy who runs a Focus RS who is frequently one of the top 5 raw times every meet, and we have several open wheel cars that compete regularly. Granted, he is an amazing driver, but that car is just deceptively fast.

·
Scott M
294 Posts
Hopefully Donour (a good guy, fellow LT member, and successful SCCA B Street racer) can offer some specific suggestions on what he's done, how he travels, and dealing with cone rash on an Evora...

I only autocrossed my Evora S once- at LOG this past August. It was fun, fast, and balanced as you might expect even on Michelin PS4 rubber. I would not be happy with the dampening in stock form if it were my dedicated autocross vehicle as those conditions make the modest body roll/lean feel rather pronounced. I don't know that I'd want to lose the Evora balance of comfort and handling I otherwise enjoy 99% of the time just to "fix" the suspension for parking lot racing.

Having run a '17 Focus RS in 2017 and 2018 across tons of local events and a handful of National events (perhaps 30 days and 200+ runs), I know what it's like to race that far better than the Evora. Ultimately I moved on from the FoRS because it
  • involved too much electronic and mechanical wizardry for me to know exactly how it would behave,
  • is heavy & lumbering, and
  • has panic assist braking which cannot be turned-off or otherwise defeated.
It was nice to be able to load up the race rubber and all my gear for drives out of state, including ~20hrs to Lincoln, NE last year. Now having driven the BRZ on race tires (Bridgestone RE71s) for similar long distances, I realized I can manage without the space of a hatch (though a small tire trailer is probably in my future) only needing to slow down a little bit when hitting heavy rain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts