The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 06 Elise, and have done some extensive cosmetic improvements as well as some mechanical. I love the color and what money I've put into the car. I'm looking at a 09 Exige S260 (Black). Car has low miles and is in immaculate condition. The price is good too. I'm sorta not sure if I should jump up in cost in exchange for all that improvement in performance etc.. I think I'll miss my green car.

Anyone move from elise to exige? any regrets? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Go for it.

I had an Elise SC before.... 09 S260 are rare to find. The only thing that you will be missing is the rear view and that is not a big issue.

·
2006 Exige
931 Posts
I've had both and prefer Exiges, but it sounds like you have your Elise set up perfectly how you like it. Kind of a personal decision. It basically comes down to looks/aesthetics. Both cars are essentially the same underneath, so which do you like to look at more? You just need to add a supercharger and some other go fast bits for your Elise to match/exceed the capabilities of the S260.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I went from Elise to N/A Exige back to Elise then to S220 Exige. If I were to go back to the Elige world, I'd go Exige. The soft top conversion is a snap, and the rear vision issue is completely mitigated with a cheap wireless backup camera.

Now, all that said, I went from S220 Exige to a 1974 Europa Twin Cam Special, so go figure.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
the Exige looks a lot better then the Elise, the Elise will always have that ugly front built in splitter thing and aftermarket splitters look horrible, of course, IMO. My first Lotus was an elise, the soft top was cool to have and the Elise has some angles that look really good but the Exige looks great from all angles, of course, IMO. Also its obnoxious that you have to use your key to open the rear deck of the Elise :)))

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Seems like black would be boring to photograph! Though I guess you could work with reflections and lighting. I would look at CO or something that pops out more.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's this car:

vs what I have now:

I like green better, and I'm attached to my car. Unfortunately I can't afford both... My car has 54k miles on it and I've put a fun 17k on it since April 2012. If I move to the exige my driving habits won't change, the car will get miles on it. Right now its at ~7000 and is an 09. It does stretch my pocketbook a lot. Such a hard choice, I feel privileged to own a Lotus now and to think I'd trade mine after putting in 15k in stuff that I won't get back is a hard pill to swallow, though I knew that going into it.

I don't think I would do much if anything for a while on the S260. Maybe a lid bone and carpet buttons but nothing other than brakes/fluids and tires as needed.

Black is a bitch to keep clean, it is not my first choice in color, but the car will be as near to perfect if I do the deal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What about taking the money you'd spend on upgrading to the 260 and pick up a REV400? I like the Exige and Elise equally, there are some things I like more on one model vs the other but in the end they're both pretty sweet rides. I suppose the Exige will retain it's value a little more long term due to the lower production numbers. But it seems that you can build a better engine with more output for less and keep the Elise, as you've said you'll never recoup the money already invested in the various mods.

But at the end of the day get whatever 'sings' to you. Life is much too short.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What about taking the money you'd spend on upgrading to the 260 and pick up a REV400? I like the Exige and Elise equally, there are some things I like more on one model vs the other but in the end they're both pretty sweet rides. I suppose the Exige will retain it's value a little more long term due to the lower production numbers. But it seems that you can build a better engine with more output for less and keep the Elise, as you've said you'll never recoup the money already invested in the various mods.

But at the end of the day get whatever 'sings' to you. Life is much too short.
This.
If I were to do it again, I'd get the cheaper Elise and put in a Rev400 and be faster than almost every Exige out there. Plus you get to keep the car you have already modded to your liking.
But I really do like the looks of the Exige hatch a lot more.

·
Registered
216 Posts
depends on what you want from the car. i have an 09 s260 and i would love to put the rev400 on it, but i know it will detract from the resale.

if you really get the mod bug, stick with the elise and put the money into it.

all the carbon bits are quite nice, but with the price of cf parts dropping, they really aren't that expensive to copy. also i put 5000km on mine this year alone

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to pass on this. Someday I'll be down here with all you Exige owners, but for now I'm more than happy with my Elise. It's the perfect car for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh BTW, if anyone is interested in inquiring about this car for sale:

Gator Motorsport
3353 West 96th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
Gator Motorsport | Unrivaled Excellence

If I had a do over back when I bought my Elise, I would have snatched this Exige in a second. Also I don't think I would buy a Lotus in the future from any other dealer other than Gator... they just go way over on quality, craftsmanship and integrity.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Has it sold? I don't see it on the web page and the image you posted says 'sold.' :-( I would love an Exige but guess adding a REV300 to my Elise would be much cheaper. Still, wondering what it cost if it's available.

·
Supporting Vendor
494 Posts
Evening all!

We just listed this pristine S260 last week! Should anyone have any questions or wish for more information, please do not hesitate to PM me or send me an email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I had an 05 Elise and heavily modified it to a track car. Later sold it and lost all the mod $ I put into it.

I now have a 2011 S260 and I haven't touched it in terms of mods (except steering wheel tilt).

Just do it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts