1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
553 Posts
wouldn't purchase it. Read through what boardkat posted.

I spoke to the dealer personally on the phone. Left out a LOT of detail that got me to stay away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I like the low miles and the manufacturer warranty offered until 8/30/2013. I read through boardtalk's link. It was hard to beleive the car was driven for 2k miles and had no chips, so the front being repainted makes somewhat sense. Other than that I'm waiting on the service/maintenance records and an ECU dump.

The only thing not matching Portland's story is in the CarFax which states the vehicle was first in San Antonio, TX and was then sent to Portland with 1,524 miles.

This is what I got from them via email:

This 2009 Exige is the S240 model & it does have the Touring Package and the Track Package – in addition to having Star Shield, Black Pack (all Exige cars had this) and Limited Slip Diff. I’ve included a copy of the original MSRP label – so that you can see/confirm all options & original pricing of the vehicle.

This Exige is still on MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin = no previous owners & hasn’t previously been titled). The vehicle was a show/display car for Lotus USA & was driven around Southern California for events – then driven up to Central California for events there. It has about 2,100 miles on it now – 400 of which we’ve put on taking it to display events, etc around the Portland area. Lotus did some ride/drive demonstration events – but they were part of promotional events to showcase the brand and the vehicles, they were not ‘racing’ or timed events. There is warranty on the vehicle until 8/30/2013.

We’re a franchise Lotus dealer & have been since 2005. When we purchased the vehicle from Lotus USA for inventory, we went through the vehicle thoroughly & made sure that all aspects were in order (keys, books, tools, mechanicals, etc). As you can see by the MSRP amount, it was $72,850 on the sticker!

And When I asked for the CarFax:

With regard to a CARFAX or AutoCheck report, there won’t be one on this vehicle yet. The reason for this is that it’s not been titled. CARFAX and other services track the ownership history of vehicles once they are sold to an end user (or multiple users, in the case of a pre-owned car that’s been sold a few times). As I mentioned previously, this Exige has not been titled & as such, there is not a history report.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Exige's and Elise's get snatched up in a matter of days. This Exige was at this dealership last year when I found my S240 to buy. I know of several people, including myself, that looked into this car and went RUNNING the opposite direction.

You are the buyer, so you have to make the ultimate decision.....but anytime a car as been for sale for MONTHS and MONTHS, dealer OR private party, there is usually a reason, and typically not good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i don't think buying this specific car is necessarily a bad thing - but definitely not at the price they're asking. if you could get them under 50k, i think it's a heckuva deal - just be sure to drive the snot out of it right away while you still have a warranty, to work out any kinks :)
on that note, as a buyer, i'd probably want to be local to the dealership, so that if any "mysterious issues" popped up out of warranty, you could play the goodwill card.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again.

I have the ecu data, any feedback?

Engine Run Timer: 5h 37m 25s (car has 2000 miles)

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Engine Run Timer: 5h 37m 25s (car has 2000 miles)"

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the car has 2000 miles and the engine has been run for less than 6 hours (total??), then wouldn't the average speed have to be over 300mph?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
thanks again.

I have the ecu data, any feedback?

Engine Run Timer: 5h 37m 25s (car has 2000 miles)
Wow, that car's average speed must've been something like 356mph.
Or, the ECU has been reset at one point(which can happen... like the battery being completely dead), and has only been driven around town for past 5.62 hours with no freeway miles.

hmmm...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Engine Run Timer: 5h 37m 25s (car has 2000 miles)"

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the car has 2000 miles and the engine has been run for less than 6 hours (total??), then wouldn't the average speed have to be over 300mph?
Wow, that car's average speed must've been something like 356mph.
Or, the ECU has been reset at one point(which can happen... like the battery being completely dead), and has only been driven around town for past 5.62 hours with no freeway miles.

hmmm...
yea that's the first thing i noticed, must be the data for the past ~300 miles or so

·
Registered
41 Posts
ECU data

Yes, ECU data from this car's time as a demonstrator vehicle has been erased. Looks like an old grandma has been driving it around town since then!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes I would have said it was erased... More reason to stay away unless it was cheaper.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I understand people trying to find pristine examples, but aren't these cars made to be driven hard, though?
I think it'd be nearly impossible to find older/used cars that aren't at least driven somewhat hard, unless you're buying a garage queen from someone who is running out of garage space.
If something breaks, it was to bound to happen sooner or later as Chapman intended.
As long as the car hasn't been in a wreck, what's the big d..............?:confused:

·
Registered
161 Posts
To me, there is a difference between driving a car as it is meant to be driven, and abuse.

There are cars that have been driven hard by the owner, and there are cars that have been driven hard by someone who doesn't give a $#!% about it and likely doesn't know how to drive it properly.

I don't think they have seen the same kind of treatment or wear. I know how I drive rental and demo vehicles and it's nowhere close to how I drive my own vehicle, even if I'm driving it 'hard.'

·
Registered
553 Posts
Think of it this way...

would you rather put your money on a rental car or a car with an owner? yes, you could be buying a car that was driven by a maniac but it is still HIS money and would be less susceptible to abuse...

If someone gave me the keys to an exige and said "take it for a ride... it's a demo car," I'd be doing all kinds of things to see what it can do. It's not my car.

My car was nowhere near "pristine" example. Hell, it wasn't even garaged.... but it was priced well so I took the risk and took my time and effort to make it a "pristine" condition. The only reason I would stay away from this vehicle was when I spoke to the dealer, he did not mention a repaint or anything like that. If he told me the a detailed history of the vehicle, at least I would know what it's been through and have it priced better for buy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts