The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Lotus sport exhaust (stock headers, stock downpipe and stock 3rd cat). I'm considering getting either the Larini or 2bular decat (that removes the 3rd cat) and sticking with the stock headers and downpipe. I'm not in a position to do a full exhaust swap right now, so it's the decat or nothing right now. Does anyone else have that setup? Did the addition of just the decat make a noticeable difference in the sound and performance?

Thanks,
Lynn

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Plack. Your posting is every encouraging, and it seems the muffler versus straight pipe had little effect on power output. I'm just wondering how my Lotus sport exhaust will factor in.

I'm pulling the trigger on the decat today and plan to install myself. This cat HAS to be easier to get to than my A4 (which resulted in a weekend of cursing and under-car gymnastics).

Now I can hear the EV290 tune calling my name . . .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really curious to see how you dyno. Hitting 317(estimated) at the crank before the tune was excellent. If you can get another 15HP with the tune on top of those gains, suddenly we're getting really close to the weight-adjusted Evora S numbers (+130lbs = -13HP). That's a big IF though . . .

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've got a decat for sale that bolts on to the OEM header. $200 shipped.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but yours is for Elise/Exige, correct? I have an Evora.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
oooops. Sorry. Didn't realize Evora. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I had that setup on mine before doing the full exhaust system and It definitely made it sound better. I can't say if i noticed any noticeable power gains from that upgrade until the full exhaust system was installed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had that setup on mine before doing the full exhaust system and It definitely made it sound better. I can't say if i noticed any noticeable power gains from that upgrade until the full exhaust system was installed.
I want to do the same. Did it increase the sound? Any drone? I dont have drone with the stage 1

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to see a dyno comparison of:

3rd decat with stock headers and downpipe
vs
Aftermarket headers and downpipe with the stock 3rd cat

Replacing that 3rd cat is SO much easier/cheaper than doing the headers and downpipe. I'd like to have the difference quantified so the cost/benefit can be truly analyzed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would love to see a dyno comparison of:

3rd decat with stock headers and downpipe
vs
Aftermarket headers and downpipe with the stock 3rd cat

Replacing that 3rd cat is SO much easier/cheaper than doing the headers and downpipe. I'd like to have the difference quantified so the cost/benefit can be truly analyzed.
If you want a Power increase you wil need headers & downpipe. Then exhaust, software & intake.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I currently have the Lotus sport exhaust (stock headers, stock downpipe and stock 3rd cat). I'm considering getting either the Larini or 2bular decat (that removes the 3rd cat) and sticking with the stock headers and downpipe. I'm not in a position to do a full exhaust swap right now, so it's the decat or nothing right now. Does anyone else have that setup? Did the addition of just the decat make a noticeable difference in the sound and performance?

Thanks,
Lynn
Lynn,

Power gains would probably be very minimal (if any) unless you do a tune also. I did it and got a tune (which cured the CE light) mainly for heat reasons, a de-cat will run much cooler then a cat and if you track your car with the cat, I think the heat eventually kills the packing in your exhaust. It sounds cool and shoots flames too so for a couple hundred bucks I think you can't go wrong, and it smells really good.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Disappointing there won't be much of a power increase, but like Ace said, $200 for a nicer sound alone still seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry for the hijack but this seems the place that might have what I'm looking for. Does anyone have some real life rolling road figures and afr's for the Evora S BEFORE any mods?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts