The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2300lbs, 300rwhp

i've always had a special place in my heart for Shelby Cobras. I actually was very close to buying a Superformance Cobra recently but didn't pull the trigger.

Anyway, this car came up for sale and i really want it. Would you rather have this or an Elise? The car will be used for general fun cruising, canyon slamming, and track days. I will be living in So Cal.

I see the following as being the strong points of each car:

FFR Daytona:
sexy as hell
very rare and unique
super fast
Ford parts that i am familiar with (ease of maintenance and low cost replacements)
Super raw, basically a race car
Much better power to weight ratio (300rwhp and 2300lbs)

Elise:
lightning quick handling
new car with new parts and warranty
open top for nice sunny so cal days

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6465&item=2446547506

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I would opt for the Elise, but you should choose the car that suits you best, not the car that other people would choose.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MikeAR303 said:
I would opt for the Elise, but you should choose the car that suits you best, not the car that other people would choose.
well i realize that but it's a tough choice. Both are awesome cars and are really cool in their own respect. I keep going back and forth and cannot come to a decision so hearing how other car enthusiats would make their decision helps.

-Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
<-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh wait, that was my reply on S2Ki. My avatar is different here. :p

I've always liked the Cobras, but I like the Elise better for my everyday needs. If I had the money to have the Cobra and the Elise, I'd do it, but one over the other, the Elise is more practical for me.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tidalwdave said:
<-------------------------------------------------------------

Oh wait, that was my reply on S2Ki. My avatar is different here. :p

I've always liked the Cobras, but I like the Elise better for my everyday needs. If I had the money to have the Cobra and the Elise, I'd do it, but one over the other, the Elise is more practical for me.
haha you can tell this decision is killing me. I think the problem is that i really want both :D AH it's a good problem to have at least

·
Registered
963 Posts
offroadr35 said:
haha you can tell this decision is killing me. I think the problem is that i really want both :D AH it's a good problem to have at least
It's only a good problem to want both, if you can afford both. Otherwise, it's not a good problem. I'm trying to think of ways to keep my S2K and get the Elise. In the end, I'm going to have to sell the S2K though. :(

I'm in your shoes, it's hard to pick between two things you really want.

One one hand though, if you can get the Cobra and get it for a good price, maybe get it? It's more of a collectors car, maybe won't lose value as fast. :confused: That's strictly looking at it from an investment standpoint.

For most fun though, I'd do the Elise.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the toughest parts of the decision is i don't totally know what to expect from the cobra where as i have a pretty good idea about the elise.

what i'm thinkng is that i could buy the cobra now and drive it for about 8 months until my Elise comes. By that time i should be pretty familiar with the Daytona and will know if i'd rather have it or the Elise. Then i figure i could sell it and probably not lose much money, if any.

-Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
offroadr35 said:

what i'm thinkng is that i could buy the cobra now and drive it for about 8 months until my Elise comes. By that time i should be pretty familiar with the Daytona and will know if i'd rather have it or the Elise. Then i figure i could sell it and probably not lose much money, if any.

-Steve
I agree. I was going to post that part, but forgot. :eek:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Easy decision for me... That’s not a Cobra that's a Mustang with a Cobra body... A kit-car. Hmmm would I rather a Ford Mustang or a Lotus Elise...Hmmmm :confused: Lotus... It's a no brainer :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Heh heh - ironic. I was in a similar position, except that I was choosing between the FFR 427 Cobra and the Elise. I even built a a muscled-out Fox body Mustang to use as a donor. The master plan was to build the FFR and stick a "for sale" sign on it for too much money. Once it sold, dump the money into a used Federal Elise. That way I'd get to own 2 cool cars (at different times) and protect myself from massive depreciation on the Lotus.

That plan is no longer feasible because the Elise has consumed all of my passion and desire. Despite the insane performance that an FFR could provide (I was targeting 5lbs/bhp) I just can't get excited about it anymore. I'm getting the Elise and will just have to eat the massive depreciation (which I still expect.)

By the way, I've driven a couple of the FFR spec racers on the track. They are very good performers and a lot of fun. Also - I now have a relatively evil '89 Mustang for sale. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have been in love with the FFR Type 65 Coupe for some time now. Although personally, I would rather buy the kit and build it myself than buy one already assembled. If it came down to choosing between the Elise or Daytona Coupe, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Edit: While it's not a real Cobra, it isn't a Mustang either. It uses a Mustang drivetrain, a few suspension parts and some misc bits, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Newport European has an authentic 427 Cobra if you're interested

The problem, of course, is whether you would want to enjoy driving your car regularly. With the original 427 Cobra, I already know it would be a garage queen if I bought it.

With the FFR Daytona Coupe, I guess you wouldn't feel as bad putting miles on it, but would it really be comfortable for any kind of cruising? I would think that it would be more of a special-purpose vehicle.

I personally would opt for the Elise. I consider it a "practical exotic" that I can use for cruising up the Pacific Coast Highway on pleasant days, but still use for track events and Solo II events. It would be a car I would use without hesitation on nice days.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sonza68 said:
I have been in love with the FFR Type 65 Coupe for some time now. Although personally, I would rather buy the kit and build it myself than buy one already assembled. If it came down to choosing between the Elise or Daytona Coupe, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Edit: While it's not a real Cobra, it isn't a Mustang either. It uses a Mustang drivetrain, a few suspension parts and some misc bits, but that's about it.
i would like to build my own too but because of space and time restraints that's not possible right now. I'll probably build a roadster at some point. This car is just awesome because it is probably the sweetest Type 65 out there.

This is as much a mustang as the Elise is a Celica.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Newport European has an authentic 427 Cobra if you're interested

rtking said:
The problem, of course, is whether you would want to enjoy driving your car regularly. With the original 427 Cobra, I already know it would be a garage queen if I bought it.

With the FFR Daytona Coupe, I guess you wouldn't feel as bad putting miles on it, but would it really be comfortable for any kind of cruising? I would think that it would be more of a special-purpose vehicle.

I personally would opt for the Elise. I consider it a "practical exotic" that I can use for cruising up the Pacific Coast Highway on pleasant days, but still use for track events and Solo II events. It would be a car I would use without hesitation on nice days.

Bob K.
that is exactly my concern and the thing i really don't know about the FFR. I asked on clubcobra and there are guys that put 8-10k miles a year on their roadsters so apparently they aren't THAT unbearable. It is definitely the main issue for me though. I don't want a car that is unbearable to cruise around in.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I used to run around with the SAAC group

I had friends who owned several Shelby Mustangs and I would hang out with them at Shelby American Auto Club (SAAC) events. I can tell you that the Daytona Coupe replicas I've seen have been quite loud. It's not bad for 1 mile, 5 miles or even 10 miles. But after that, the engine exhaust noise just drones and becomes pretty unbearable. And it's easy to lose a certain amount of your hearing because it really is quite loud.

I've test-driven the 120 horsepower Euro-Spec Elise and I have to admit that I can easily see myself putting 150-300 miles each weekend in that car. It's reasonably quiet with the soft top on, and completely bearable with the top off. ("reasonably quiet" means that it's quiet for such a sporting machine, but nowhere near the quiet you'll find in Mercedes or Lexus.)

Additionally, I think the Elise will be easier on your pocket book. The fuel mileage alone makes the Elise such a novelty in my eyes. I can't even imagine another car that can offer 0-60 runs in under 5 seconds and still return fuel mileage in the neighborhood of 30 mpg! (this number is assumed from the Celica GTS' highway mpg numbers)

Bob K.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
No surprise here, that most of us are telling you that all in all, the Elise would be the wiser choice. I assume that you've put out the same question to a Cobra BBS ? It'd be interesting to read what they say. :)

While the cobra replica would be very cool, I'd go with the consensus here that the Elise is probably going to be more practical and usable in the long haul, in addition to being less of a gas-hog and all-around bruiser. Also, witht the Cobra you'll have everyone and their brother coming up to you and asking (you don't even need me to finish the sentence, you already know it) - "Is it real ?" I'll bet that will get old pretty fast. With the Elise, at least it's a REAL Lotus, right ? BTW, a few weeks ago on the freeway I saw one of the better vanity plates that I can remember - it was a Cobra (more common, open version), and the plate was, "REAL2ME" :cool:

Good luck with your choice !

Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
I suspect that the Elise would be a little more user friendly too.

If you need more, wait for the super charger kits for the Elise to come out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I just sold my FFR last month to buy the elise - couldn't justify keeping/insuring both. It is NOT a mustang with a cobra body. It uses the motor, tranny, fuel cell and a few other small items. When I think of kitcars I think of fieros turned into Lambos/ferraris - this is a well designed performance car. It took me 4 months to build. They have one of the nicest, strongest frames around. Mine had a modestly built 302 with about 280 HP and an overall weight of about 2000 pounds.

Very different from the elise. They are very loud and long road trips are tough with all the noise from the side pipes and the wind really kicks up at high speed. But a very fun car and if I ever get the oppurtunity to afford both I would in a second. For more info check out www.ffcobra.com - very informative FFR site. Many on that site are very accomplished autocross/track guys.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
As someone else mentioned, the FFR Daytona Coupe is astoundingly loud inside. It also gets incredibly hot, with very little way to cool down the interior. Potentially a fun toy, but nothing more than that.
The Elise is a much better option for more than 15 minutes of driving around on the street.
Or you can get a real race car for the track for alot less than the kit car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts