The Lotus Cars Community banner

Contempt for your Lotus: Do you care?

• Yes. I am generally aware and make an effort not to appear uppity.

Votes: 62 44.3%
  • Generally don't give it any thought.

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • No. I earned it, so tough OR kinda enjoy flaunting it.

Votes: 24 17.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people struggle with their personal finances. Hence, there will always be a significant number of people who view us with contempt driving around in what most assume is a very expensive car.

Do you generally remain mindful of this when in public with your Lotus?

If you are aware of the contempt some must feel, do you make an effort not to come off as arrogant or uppity?

At the other end of the spectrum, do you derive a certain amount of enjoyment at the thought of others feeling contempt or jealousy? Or perhaps you feel you've earned it, so tough.

Which of the three attitudes best describes your attitude?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Sports car owners like us and love to talk about their cars with us.

The public loves the car.

Contempt?

Nah......

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm....

Are there others here that doubt there are a significant number of people who would view exotic car drivers with contempt - judging you this way before they know anything about you?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'm sure there's some contempt out there, I've just never really experienced it.

Now Mini owner's, they get all the scorn.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not all that different from the way many view those who drive Bentleys or live in gigantic homes. Conspicuous consumption.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Heck yes there are folks out there with "contempt" for our cars. I always try to be nice and show people my car, but I know that some are jealous and would love to screw with a nice automobile. The only way that contempt alters my behavior is that I tend to keep a much closer eye on the Lotus than I do my other cars.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I live in a town with a Lotus dealer, thus there is money, and I work in an area that has even more money. I haven't run into much attitude. However, I am wary. :shrug:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah, of course there's the "haters", it goes with the territory. Hell, I've even had my car vandalized at work. But I try not to be an a$$hole to people, or act like a douche bag just because I drive a Lotus. There are so many other people out there with nicer cars worth alot more than a Lotus Elise... But at the same time, if someone is acting like a dick towards me, just because they think I'm some rich jerkoff, then they can go to hell. And trust me, I'll be the first to tell them that.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I don't generally notice anyone showing "contempt"... not around here.

I did experience some while driving through the midwest. I was mostly worried some redneck would hurl a beer bottle in my direction ;)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Honestly, I don't really think about it much. But I've always made it a point not to look down my nose at anyone.

When I was in school, I was part of the 'cool' crowd (except my grades were much better :)), but I always made it a point to talk to everybody regardless of their high-school social status. Having talked to some former classmates (at my reunion or otherwise), they always liked and respected that about me.

I tend to think a lot of Lotus owners are probably like that. Friendly, somewhat extroverted, but not to the point of being obnoxious or condescending.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
F*ck 'em and feed 'em fish heads.
:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I closed on my loan for the car today so i am practically in the door. I made SURE to buy a car with tinted windows, not only because of the look but because I am young, 22 (and I dont want people thinking my parents bought the car for me.) but also because I feel its going to rub people the wrong way because they really arent aware of the price tag.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I used to enjoy throwing dimes at people when I was driving in the Lotus...just to make them feel a little richer. :D

Seriously, I was aware of it. Although, it's sometime hard to segregate non-aggressive envy from all the other attention the car gets. But the strange thing is I got more agressiveness driving a Boxster than the Lotus. Not know if it's because it's a Porsche or a "poor man's Porsche."

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I don't really worry about people showing contempt, but I pretty far from uppity. I happily talk cars to people, have let more people "try the car on for size" than I could keep track of. I've had most of the teenage kids in my neighborhood sit in my car (they were skateboarding past and wanted to check out the car one day when I was washing it), now they all smile and wave at me as I drive past.

I'm still careful where I park it and avoid going some places. But heck, people even vandalize Miata's (I have a dent in my front fender from someone throwing a huge rock at me as I drove past some woods) so I can't worry about too much (actually I can worry, I just can't do anything about it).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've received contempt from lots of people, but it had nothing to do with my car.

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Just moon them. That always diffuses the situation, wait or does that diffuse your intestinal gas? :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Usually, the only looks I get from people is when they stare at me wondering how a 6' 2" guy is going to fold himself into such a tiny little car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts