The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed the Conti DWS06s in the stock sizes. For as long as I can remember (40k miles) I’ve had RE11s but I drive a lot and I enjoy it for as much of the year as I can so an all season is a good option for me. I know the grip is not the same. Yep I get it but these also don’t turn to glass at 45 degrees nor do they flat spot over the winter. I spent a long time contemplating this decision.

However I feel like the car now drifts left and right at highway speed, likes it’s floating. It’s not really and it sticks remarkably well but it FEELS weird.

Anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tread squirm?

On my Saab viggen when I went from summer tires (pilot super sport) to snows (blizzak ws70) after my first drive with new wheels/tires with snows mounted almost every year I would think I had a flat tire with how much the car danced around. I know it’s a extreme example but it was just the tread squirming.

Playing with tire pressure can help... it does on my present daily driver, Jeep Wrangler unlimited.

As the tires wear you will either get use to it.... or it won’t squirm as much

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Are the tires directional? I've seen some interesting mounting of directional tires that did not feel great at highway speeds.

How is your geometry? New tires can expose misalignment that the old tires masked. These cars get bent wishbones easier than you think.

What do your wishbone bushings look like. When they get worn the geometry is variable and varied :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have Extremecontact DWS06s on my (much much heavier) Pontiac G8 and don't have any issue like that. They do flat spot while sitting overnight in the winter, but they smooth out after they warm up a bit.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I have Extremecontact DWS06s on my (much much heavier) Pontiac G8 and don't have any issue like that. They do flat spot while sitting overnight in the winter, but they smooth out after they warm up a bit.
My wife also has them on her G8 with no squirm, BUT the tread blocks are much shorter relative to the width of the tire on that car. With the narrow fronts on the Elise, tread squirm is more noticeable.

I had them on my Elise due to an ordering error from the shop when I asked for DW and I remember a similar issue until they wore a little. The lack of grip though really is astonishing. I would strongly advise two sets of wheels/tires or else the car will really be let down by them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont have those tires but it could possibly be they like a little lower air pressure. Drop a lb or two and see if it helps with the wandering at high speeds.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,147 Posts
+1 lower tire pressures and see if that makes a difference

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are directional but not symmetrical... and they are mounted and installed correctly.

I’ll take a shot at the tire pressure though. Lower than 26 in the fronts will be really low, in a 1500# race car I rarely got below 20#.

This car has never been tracked or crashed. Not likely an alignment but fair point worth checking.

I purchased these due to reviews by others on this site. Anyone else have the DWS06s on their Elige and care to share feedback.

If it’s just “squirm” due to tread depth I may see if I can get them shaved. My RE11 fronts never wore... these may not either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe I have a very similar experience with mine Conti Extreme Contact Sport when I got it installed. However, when I bring it in for alignment check and the rear passenger toe is way out of specs. After alignment was done, that "floating" symptom is gone. So on your case, make sure you have your alignment check. It might be out of specs.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Love my DSW06's, but we're talking about on a Lexus IS, so different animal altogether.

So you really put this tire on your Exige???

Just wow.

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
I'm running DWS-06 on LSS rims 24f/26r love them on the street!. 15/16 R888R for the track

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running DWS-06 on LSS rims 24f/26r love them on the street!. 15/16 R888R for the track

I gave the 24/26 psi a try. I think it is a small improvement. May try to lower a little further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts