The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the excellent pictures of the suspension pieces, I noticed that the control arms have a yellowish finish.

Then I came upon a picture of the control arms of a sample that had seen some seasons and it had that grayish corrosion precipitate.

Are there any rock impact resistant finishes out there besides powder coating? That corrosion looks pretty ugly.
m

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well the arms could be wiped down with an anticorrosion oiley type coating. They are nearly invisible and need to be reapplied every year or so. Or you could have them clear coated - some clear coats are really tough. Lastly some chassis-black paint is tough as nails but changes the look. The hub-carrier/uprights appear to be unpainted steel and get rusty pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I was looking at that yesterday. My control arms are not shiny anymore like in some pictures and the hub carrier is definetelly rusty already. I've never neat picked like this but I'd really like to keep this car as nice as possible so I think I'm going to have the hub carriers painted. The control arms are aluminum and once they develop the "milky" oxydation they should remain that way without much further deterioration; however, there is an anti corrosion product specific for aluminum called ACF-50 that could be good for those, we use ACF-50 in Aviation to coat the inside of the wings of aircraft where corrosion is critical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts