The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my car, I figured I’d stir the pot a little the weekend with a few predictions (in random order):

1. Within 6 months of delivery, someone on this board will run out of talent and total their new Elise.
2. A good percentage of clear bra purchasers will have buyer remorse after 1 year
3. The stock exhaust will satisfy more enthusiasts then we originally thought
4. There is no way the Elise as we know it will survive long term in the US. The ‘07/’08 “S3” will be larger & heavier. My guess 2600 lbs, augmented by more power.
5. History will look back on this “limited” run of Elises as a true enthusiasts dream. Never before has this generation in America seen such a pure, affordable, single minded production performance vehicle; and never will we see the likes of one again.
6. LCUSA will struggle mightily with the Elise demographic. Replacing Johnson was the right move, but LCUSA will miss his influence over the dealer body.
7. Lotus will rank at the bottom of JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Index.
8. Some owners will never figure out how to use that Los Angeles radio.
9. Owning the Elise will generally result in better health, lower levels of stress, and more “fringe” benefits for you single guys.
10. Many LSS owners will be amazed how quickly those soft tires wear. And since tire rotation is limited. I think we’ll see tires coming off at around the 4000 mile mark.

Flame suit on: But keep in mind it I was just bored since it’s so wet over here in the northeast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Tech,
I haven't taken delivery yet but these predictions sound reasonable to me. One question about 2. A good percentage of clear bra purchasers will have buyer remorse after 1 year .
I am considering the clear bra so what do you mean?
Dan Parker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
Don't really understand the buyers remorse. I feel the opposite, I think a year from now those who didn't opt for it will have remorse they didn't and are having to shell out $$$$ for a repaint of the front and rockers. In the overall scheme of things, $995 just isn't that much money for the protection it offers. I think too many of the UK owners have stated the need for this type of protection for us to ignore.

Chris
-Who's very happy with his bra

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
I have a great idea. Since you two disagree so much on the clear bra there's only one solution

I vote for a showdown. You both get together and have a smash up derby with your new elises. Last man driving wins. Then we can have a judging on whether the clear bra helped or not.

Randy can film it all with a car cam and post on elisetalk for all of us!

This will give some of us some entertainment while we wait another 8 months for our cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Your numbers 4 and 5 are key for me. I'm in no big urgency to get another car, but I think that the Elise we can buy for the next two years might be a unique opportunity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
I had a clear bra on my Mk1 for 2 years (fitted after the paint got shagged on a track day and I had to have various parts resprayed to correct the sandblasted effect that was very unbecoming).

It was as perfect on the day I sold the car as when it was fitted.

Folks - listen to people who've owned an Elise WITH a clear bra - there are plenty on SELOC.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Predictions

>1. Within 6 months of delivery, someone on this board will run out of talent and total their new Elise.

That may be generous! It may be closer to 3 months. Question is, will that person 'fess up and report it to us. Hopefully, that person won't be me, and won't total themselves or anybody else.

>2. A good percentage of clear bra purchasers will have buyer remorse after 1 year.

I've never had one, never seen a car with one...this is the only thing I'm uncertain over before I place my order.

>4. There is no way the Elise as we know it will survive long term in the US. The ‘07/’08 “S3” will be larger & heavier. My guess 2600 lbs, augmented by more power.

More power, and the weight will result from the extra bells and whistles needed to broaden the appeal of the Elise to an American audience. This is bound to be the "purest" of the Elise generations that we will ever see on these shores.

>7. Lotus will rank at the bottom of JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Index.

Neck and neck with Land Rover. Those who have never experienced the trials and tribulations of British car ownership will be leading the charge on this one. Toyota engine and transmission notwithstanding.

>9. Owning the Elise will generally result in better health, lower levels of stress, and more “fringe” benefits for you single guys.

God, I hope you are right on this one! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
I'll add another one -- an offshoot of #1:

I agree that there will be several insurance claims generated by this car soon. The result of this will be that ALL of our rates will be impacted (no pun intended). In short, don't get used to the premium you've been quoted right now. A major reason for the rate hike will be that minor impacts (getting gently rear-ended by cell-phone wielding idiots at stoplights, for example) will cost big bucks to repair. The Elise has big potential to get flagged as a high-risk vehicle -- with high collision coverage rates.

Having worked in the past as an underwriter in Personal Lines for a mid-sized insurance company, I speak from experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Tech_KO said:
7. Lotus will rank at the bottom of JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Index.
Exceeded only by MINI USA in arrogance and lack of response to customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Re: Re: Controversial Predictions

BeerBrewer said:
Exceeded only by MINI USA in arrogance and lack of response to customers.
Lack of response? Definitely.
Arrogance? I doubt that sincerely. Growing pains, yes. Arrogance, no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Tech_KO said:
Now that I have my car, I figured I’d stir the pot a little the weekend with a few predictions (in random order):

2. A good percentage of clear bra purchasers will have buyer remorse after 1 year
I can't see why this would be the case considering the Clear-Bra will be covered by the same 3 year bumper to bumper warranty as the rest of the car. However, based on comments by our brethren at SELOC I predict you will have remorse over not having purchased the Clear-Bra option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
TKO< I predict 1 year from now you'll have remorse for not buying the clear bra!:D



beerB,

Guess you haven't met any of the LCU gang, the nicest bunch of people you'll ever want to meet, what you take as arrogance is just that these folks are so busy getting things coordinated, to date they've only added a few people to the staff, assume they'll higher more as they determine the needs.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
hope number 4 is correct about power but not weight...not sure if I'd buy another if it weighed that much more unless power was increased significantly...what I would like to see if similar weight carv with about 250hp...I would buy an exige with 250hp in a minute as long as they could come up with a rear spoiler that was effective but not quite so ostentatious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,204 Posts
#1. I give it 2 weeks.

#2. I totally disagree with. Rock chips & repaints are a bitch, and you will need multiple repaints.

#3. I'm waiting for a titanium ultralightweight unit.

#4 Agreed.

#5. Absolutley correct! These few cars will be the pinnacle..

#6. Don't care..

#7. Don't care since my car will be pretty heavily modified and will only see the dealer for it's 1k mile svc.

#8. My radio & speakers are coming out before ever being turned on (promise)

#9. Agreed for sure!!

#10. Don't care, will probably have three sets of different tires/wheels, Hoosier 03's, Michelin cups, and Proxes (street)
I ordered the LSS pkg for the lack of things that it provides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I'm not sold on the clear bra. My 968 is 10 years old with 75,000 miles and could stand to have the nose re-painted (~$500), but the rest of the car is fine.

I would be willing to bet that after 2 or 3 years the edges of the clear bra will be clearly visible from wax buildup and dirt. So my choice becomes new clear bra every 2 years for $1000 or paint touch ups every 5 years or so for $500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Don't really understand the buyers remorse. I feel the opposite, I think a year from now those who didn't opt for it will have remorse they didn't and are having to shell out $$$$ for a repaint of the front and rockers. In the overall scheme of things, $995 just isn't that much money for the protection it offers. I think too many of the UK owners have stated the need for this type of protection for us to ignore.

Chris
-Who's very happy with his bra

:)
From what I was told by the 3M Rep at the NY Show, their testing says the product will remain in original 'hard to notice seams' condition for a minimum of 7 years.....and most likely much longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,679 Posts
About the clear bra. I have one on my Passat, installed it myself (MUCH easier install than on an Elise). My car is 3 years old, the clear bra is waxed with the car and you have to look for the clear bra to even notice it. After 3 years, I have no regrets and it has done a great job of saving my paint.

Check out the pic and you'll see (or not see) for yourself.



replaced pic, that place does not like hotlinking and replaced it with an ad. evil! randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Nathan968 said:
I'm not sold on the clear bra. My 968 is 10 years old with 75,000 miles and could stand to have the nose re-painted (~$500), but the rest of the car is fine.

I would be willing to bet that after 2 or 3 years the edges of the clear bra will be clearly visible from wax buildup and dirt. So my choice becomes new clear bra every 2 years for $1000 or paint touch ups every 5 years or so for $500.
You sound like a low maintenance, don't care about you or your cars appearance type of guy. If a million white freckles all over your car don't bother you then I agree don't get a clear bra. I consider it the same as brushing your teeth. If you don't care about getting cavities and having bad breath all day then so be it. I personally like to be clean, wear nice shirts with no holes, and have a car that looks like I take care of it with a nice clean body and paint job.

If you haven't owned a clear bra don't make assumptions that you'll see the wax on edges, etc. That comes down to the user. It's not hard to avoid getting wax build up and more so it's real easy to clean it out. They sell small detailing brushes used specifically for nooks and crevices for getting wax out. And don't use cheap wax to begin with. That can cause a problem right there.

Seriously, the clear bra is a saviour. You WILL be regretting not purchasing the clear bra in a month of driving your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Johnny B said:
About the clear bra. I have one on my Passat, installed it myself (MUCH easier install than on an Elise). My car is 3 years old, the clear bra is waxed with the car and you have to look for the clear bra to even notice it. After 3 years, I have no regrets and it has done a great job of saving my paint.

Check out the pic and you'll see (or not see) for yourself.


:confused: What pic? All I see is an advertisement for .25 digital prints.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top