The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with Lotus this week about my car and learned a few things.

First of all, they absolutely do color batch. The issue was brought up because I ordered Laser Blue and was told the next batch of those is scheduled for a late November build. Mine is in that group.

Secondly, cars destined for the west coast are built at the beginning fo the month while cars for the east coast are built at the end of the month. This is new info I had not seen here before.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Joecooool said:
First of all, they absolutely do color batch. The issue was brought up because I ordered Laser Blue and was told the next batch of those is scheduled for a late November build. Mine is in that group.

Secondly, cars destined for the west coast are built at the beginning fo the month while cars for the east coast are built at the end of the month. This is new info I had not seen here before.
Scottsdale Lotus did mention color batching a few weeks ago too. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could mention.

The beginning and end of the month production is interesting!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Joecooool said:
First of all, they absolutely do color batch. The issue was brought up because I ordered Laser Blue and was told the next batch of those is scheduled for a late November build.
They might batch Laser Blue cars and not the other, standard colors. For every batch of orders they take, they probably find out how many Laser Blue orders they have, order that much paint and paint them all together rather than keep an opened paint container around for dyas, weeks, etc. The other colors (except AB? :) ) likely have enough volume that this is not a problem with them.

Enough people have been through the factory on tours and seen what may be very limited color batching, apparently confirmed by the (a) plant manager.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Imagine being the one poor sucker ordering AB!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Joecooool said:
Absolutely. The west coast cars are built on the 1st and the 2nd, and the east coast cars are built on the 3rd through the 31st. :D

·
shay2nak
25,130 Posts
Joecooool said:
I spoke with Lotus this week about my car and learned a few things.

Oh sweet! I've got Laser Blue also, but I haven't been able to get into my dealer's latest batch of 10. What is the delivery date for a build in November?

Is the info accurate for the late November builds for Laser Blue? If so, maybe I should talk to my dealer about squeezing me in.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Re: Re: Conversation with Lotus - new info...

andykeck said:
Absolutely. The west coast cars are built on the 1st and the 2nd, and the east coast cars are built on the 3rd through the 31st. :D

oh, I see. Factoring in color batching, that explains why everyone in the western part of the United States who has an Elise lives in San Diego or Northern California and their colors are predominantly yellow! This excludes those who bought it on THE EAST COAST!! :wallbang:

Guess were this is:

a) Northern Cal;
b) Southern Cal;
c) Not Arizona!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Conversation with Lotus - new info...

Allan Gibbs said:
oh, I see. Factoring in color batching, that explains why everyone in the western part of the United States who has an Elise lives in San Diego or Northern California and their colors are predominantly yellow! This excludes those who bought it on THE EAST COAST!! :wallbang:

Guess were this is:

a) Northern Cal;
b) Southern Cal;
c) Not Arizona!
LA ? :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Surferjer said:
Imagine being the one poor sucker ordering AB!:rolleyes:
Serves him right. :) J/K

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
West coast cars are built the first half of
the month (1-15) and east coast cars
(16-end). The reason being it takes
two weeks longer for cars to reach w.c.
when shipped. This was told to me by
Manhattan Motors in NYC.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Re: Re: Conversation with Lotus - new info...

Allan Gibbs said:
Scottsdale Lotus did mention color batching a few weeks ago too. I just wasn't sure if it was something I could mention.

uh, why wouldn't you be able to mention it???

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I toured the factory in July the colors going through production and waiting to be shipped seemed very random to me. I don't remember seeing Lazer Blue, but the other colors were well represented. I could not see that batching was being done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yikes, after seeing that picture, I am regretting my choice of Saffron. I'm going to have the same problem finding my car in the parking lot as my wife has with her silver Odyssee!:D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
West coast cars are built the first half of
the month (1-15) and east coast cars
(16-end). The reason being it takes
two weeks longer for cars to reach w.c.
when shipped. This was told to me by
Manhattan Motors in NYC.
That doesn't really jive with the 11/11 build date I have been quoted for my car.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
One reason I opted against aubergine (a very, very small reason), was that I was concerned color batching would delay the car 4-6 weeks extra.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Skipping colours?

Joe Cool:
Thanks for your input. It does seem to make further sense from everything that I've read.
My question remains: Are you aware of Lotus ever SKIPPING a colour due to lack of orders? For example, if they didn't get enough orders for Arctic Silver, does it appear likely that they'll just skip them until the next month? I'm desperately trying to figure out why my AS is so much slower than other customers on the same list from the same dealer here in the west coast.
- dechien

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The thing that's confusing about the first half of the month being devoted to west coast cars and vice versa, is that Lotus loads two boats every week, one for each coast.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
One other point is that according to lotus, only 3 cars go in each container. Therefore, while I can see waiting for a multiple of 3 cars before sending to one coast or the other, I don't see the point in waiting two weeks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts