The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Conversion from Power To Roll-Up Windows?

9K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  cheungms 
#1 ·
Hello,

Adding to my Elise project list...
Would love to ditch the power windows in favor or roll-ups. Anyone have a turn key solution...someone sell a conversion kit?

Thanks!
LL

#4 ·
I love my crank windows, but I understand that they're no longer offered on the base cars. Seems like I heard the supplier went out of business, thus all the cars now come with electric windows. As a result, you may need to contact junkyards to find a wreck that had them. I cannot imagine the cost to buy them from the dealer, but I bet it would be expensive.

#6 ·
Adding to my Elise project list...
Would love to ditch the power windows in favor or roll-ups. Anyone have a turn key solution...someone sell a conversion kit?
I can't quite see the benefit when you compare the pro's and cons between having manual or electric windows.

For the performance minded person, I've heard many times here that manual windows are heavier.
and for the Luxury minded, it's a no brainer.

Being able to roll the windows down without having to insert the key can be handy I suppose, the only perk I can see about having roll ups.
but with electric, being able to easily roll the passenger window down while driving (without a passenger) is also handy.

and electric windows LOOK much better! :D

#11 · (Edited)
For the performance minded person, I've heard many times here that manual windows are heavier. and for the Luxury minded, it's a no brainer.
The electric windows are lighter by something like an ounce total weight. It really isn't a noticeable difference.

Being able to roll the windows down without having to insert the key can be handy I suppose, the only perk I can see about having roll ups.
but with electric, being able to easily roll the passenger window down while driving (without a passenger) is also handy.
It's nice not having to have the key to put up the windows. As for the passenger window, it's just as easy to reach over and turn the crank as it is to reach over and push the button.

and electric windows LOOK much better! :D
This one I disagree with. The push button switch inserted in the hole where the crank should be looks like a cheap after market power window kit. The window switches could be any place else (like in the console or something) and it would look much better (but then Lotus would have to have made two door panels, one with and one without the crank/switch hole).

By the way, the best way to have crank windows instead of the power windows was to not buy the Touring Pack... ;)

#9 ·
I didn't get the "leccy" windows because you have to lean over to the passenger seat to push the button anyway... why not just turn the winder while you're at it?

The metal manual window winders look soooo classic compared to the buttons, IMHO....

#16 ·
...honestly, the only way i can imagine the power windows being preferable would be if both actuator switches were in the center console near the power lock switch, and the door panels kept featureless...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.