The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I feel the hard points would be the exact same and you wouldn't have to import the whole car. Just buy the used parts from the Uk. I was thinking this would be a sweet project car someday.

Let me know your thoughts.

Z

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
While you are at it, lets convert a maybach to an accord

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
....different chassis from the federal cars, so while doable, might take a good bit of work to make the bits fit right.

·
Registered
623 Posts
While you are at it, lets convert a maybach to an accord
That's so not a fair analogy. The Opal/Vauxhall Speedster was very highly rated. It won Top Gear's car of the year in 2003.

Several reviewers recommended it over the S1 Elise.

On the other hand, it doesn't look as nice as an S1 to my eyes, but it's no accord!

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would start with the Ecotec Turbo and trans. Much more HP available and stronger trans to add HP. I bought my Elise after giving up on getting a 2005 Opel Speedster back to the US from Germany in 2008. Other option is get a Opel Speedster and title as a Kit Car might be cheaper and better re sale then what you would be doing to your Lotus. In Michigan you can title the Opel as a kit car if you put in a new engine or used engine with paper work showing you installed engine to chassis...... Not that hard as I went through process with a factor 5 kit car build a few years ago for kit car title..Not that I have thought about doing this with a Opel Speedster, just saying......:drool:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Basically, I am thinking about keeping my Exige as is. Then buying a used or salvaged Elise and doing the conversion. So everyone relax. I really want something you can't find in the states, would be cool to have the Elise/Exige's sister in the garage!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It is a project - I have no idea why someone would instantly hate you. Stupid to do so.

Sounds like a blast really and to be in something even more rare in the states than an Elise.

Good luck and update us on the project.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you're interested talk to junks over at seloc.org as he can get you all the parts and knows all those cars inside and out having pretty much rebuilt every type

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Pretty sure the chassis is the same actually... but the rear subframe is different.
i am pretty sure its the s1 chassis, and not the s2 chassis, not to be confused with s1 chassis elises that had s2 body bodywork... (so there are 2 different S2 bodyworks, although as i understand it - its just the 'inner' mold that different. and the roll hoop changes too) so it would take some work to be able to instal mount it. along with the different wheelbase due to the different rear subframe

the 2/11 also, does not have the same chassis as the federal (and later euro) cars. i don't think (but i am not sure?) that the s2 chassis existed when they made the opel's and my memory (which is old like rotten eggs) tells me the opel/vaux. had the high sills. (a trade mark of the s1 chassis)

picture courtesy of the googles:

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
What could be motivation for converting an 111R to a Vauxhall VX220 (England)/Opel Speedster (rest of Europe)/Daewoo Speedster (Asia)?

- The "Wow!" effect/looks of the aftermarket scissor/lambo/whatever door(hinges - approx. $1,400)? Doesn't make the car perform better.

- The 17" wheels on all 4 corners? Evidently reduces handling/performance.

- The 5-speed Getrag F23 tranny? Helps the lazy shifter.

- The 2.0L Turbo Ecotec Z20LET (cast iron/200hp @5,500rpm/185lbs/ft/4.7s 0-60/151mph) power plant? You had to be hard pressed to accept this as an advantage.

But maybe - just maybe - you prefer a little greener car by converting your 111R to the experimental diesel version, the Eco-Speedster concept car: 1.3L Ecotec CDTI which still managed to reached a top speed of 156mph with only 112hp. How about its fuel consumption in the MVEG cycle of a miserly 94mpg? Admittedly, this concept involved a lot of carbon fiber bodywork (reducing weight to approx. 1,452 lbs) and much improved aerodynamics (Cd = 0.20). However, I couldn't find any reference to the total cost of such a conversion, nor could I find any 0-60 or other performance parameters.

Bottomline, IMO it's not worth to seriously consider any conversion. Stick with what you got and enjoy the drive.

http://archives.media.gm.com/intl/opel/en/news/pr_old/pressrelease_1061.htm

·
Registered
650 Posts
I believe the S2 chassis was used for the GM Opel Speedster and Vauxhall VX220. Lotus teamed with GM to help pay for development of the new S2 chassis with GM as partner. The GM Speedster/VX220 difference was a GM Ecotec engine that Lotus help engineer and had 17" wheels in front and rear. Production ended in 2005 with the best model adding a Ecotec turbo power

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
This is definitely more than a "project". Its a large black hole you pour money into.
??Maybe we could understand better if you explain what benefits this would provide?
Do we want power---> turbo or SC's available. More power. K20 transplant and go wild with motor. More power. V6 Exige. more power---> add rockets More power---> time to explore the nuclear option

1 - 15 of 15 Posts