The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finished up a rebuild on my engine (1989 Turbo non-SE) and the engine is sitting in the shop awaiting the return of the car from the paint shop. AS I've got a little time on my hands and the convenience of having the motor on a cradle I've thought about what's involved in swapping the stock fuel system out for an AN-based set of fuel lines, including the return line. I see that there is a conversion kit sold in Europe for a lot of money (about $350) but with little in the way of information or pictures.

Anyone on the forum been through this project? If so I'd like to hear about how it was done and what the post-conversion outcome has been like. Thanks to one of my shopmates who did some research on this in the past I've got an idea of how to go from the pump to the fuel rail with AN, but it looks like the return line (given how it is attached to the rail) is more problematic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Tom,
I know that Lucas, Karvamore, has done it. Jegs sells some of the saginaw fittings to adapt the fuel rail over and the pump outlets. I would HIGHLY recommend using the newer style hoses with the AN fittings as opposed to stainless steel braided hoses. The newer nylon hoses are much better and won't fray over time! Don't ask me how I know that!
That being said, are your goals to make prodigious power with this powerplant, or to clean up the older hardware? If you just want to clean it up, you are looking at a healthy expense for all of the fittings and lines. I started pricing the components last year and as I reached into the $500 range, I abandoned the idea. The stock fuel system will deliver about 400BHP worth of fuel with the right sized injectors and a good working pump with the stock ID lines and rail.
Artie

·
Registered
859 Posts
You'll definitely want teflon lined hoses if you do it. The regular braided lines start to emanate gas fumes after a while.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fittings

I think I have the input side figured out as far as fittings go - again thanks to Randy H. who did all the leg work. Although the string of adapters necessary looks a little awkward to me from an aesthetic pointy of view. What seems somewhat insurmountable without major machining work is what to do on the return side, other than use the existing barb and hose clamp on a line on that end. Artie, what were you thinking of doing on the return end of the fuel rail?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think I have the input side figured out as far as fittings go - again thanks to Randy H. who did all the leg work. Although the string of adapters necessary looks a little awkward to me from an aesthetic pointy of view. What seems somewhat insurmountable without major machining work is what to do on the return side, other than use the existing barb and hose clamp on a line on that end. Artie, what were you thinking of doing on the return end of the fuel rail?
I was going to use an LS1 fuel rail with an adjustable Aeromotive regulator. Same dimensions and mounting points according to my records. I just realized however, that the engine wasn't going to need 500-600hp worth of fuel if it can't even hold 400 hp worth of boost at the head gasket!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts