The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you just buy a car with the Touring package, is it possible to upgrade to the sport package later by installing the shocks/struts, wheels and tires from the Sport package? Anyone know the effort involved and the approximate cost to do so?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
supposedly you can get the upgrade from the dealer later, although it will cost more....

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
And there is a spacer change for the steering rack since the car is lower. Oh... you need to lower the car one clip, reset the alignment...or as they say in the UK.. the geo.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I also suspect that if you are willing to wait for a bit, there will be alternatives to the sport package available and you have the luxury of being able to decide between them. You also will not be locked into the sport pack wheels. I for one am looking forward to see Shinoo's rims.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Same with struts... or you can buy the take offs from those that upgrade to adjustable racing struts and aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Racer X said:
As I am sure you know..... but others may not

Shocks and springs.... no struts
Or more commonly (and more properly) called "Coil-Overs" - the real kind...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, that would be correct, but I would add "Coil-Over Shocks" because struts are coil-overs, as well. At least, I have never seen a MacPherson or Chapman strut that wasn't a coil-over. However, I haven't seen everything so if you know of one I am interested. One can never have too much knowledge.

I didn't mean to come off catty, if I did. I knew Randy knew better, but others might not, as I have seen others talk about struts on the Lotus. Heck, Collin Chapman pioneered the use of them in the rear suspension. I think think the idea was that it would make for a lighter suspension.

A little back on topic, I hope the sports package doesn't delay my car too long:(

Greg

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Racer X said:
I didn't mean to come off catty, if I did. I knew Randy knew better, but others might not, as I have seen others talk about struts on the Lotus.
You didn't. I hope I didn't either.

I do get tired of people (who don't know) thinking that coil-overs are some "special" kind of shock that only has adjustable perches. There seems to be something magical to some people that think "coil-overs" mean something extra special. I've seen discussions on the Miata lists about the benefits of adding coil-overs, even though all Miatas have coil-overs...:rolleyes:

By the way, my other Lotus (my Elan) has both coil-overs - front - and Chapman Struts - rear. Chapman struts are simply McPherson struts used for the the rear suspension. And years ago, I did see a McPherson strut suspension that was not a "coil-over". I don't remember what kind of car it was on however. The spring was external to the shock and connected to the lower A-arm...:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
meat said:
On British cars the technical term for shocks is dampers.....:D
They should be called dampers.
The springs are the shocks.

Coilover = coil spring over damper.
Adjustable dampers= user adjustable for valving.
Height adjustable .... there you go.

Coilover as threaded body dampers only, is incorrect . :p
m.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts