The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
rouvier said:
  • Does anyone have any recommendations on places to get the car serviced in the SF Bay area, ideally in or around Palo Alto?
First of all, if you search through old posts, you will see that basically no one has ever said anything good about Boardwalk sales.
And a LOT of people have said many bad things. Although, some people are pleased with their Lotus Service Department.
In general, buying from Boardwalk is probably a baaaaaaad idea.
Getting service there might be OK.

However, by FAR, most people will recommend Silicon Valley Auto Group to you (in Campbell, which is "close enough" to Palo Alto).
They care about the Elise community, have sponsored "Tech Days" at their garage on their day off for the Golden Gate Lotus Club (or was it for Club111? or both?), and get consistently good reviews from people on Elisetalk (with a few minor complaints along the way, obviously).

Also, some people have recommended Dietsch Werks in Sunnyvale for non-warranty stuff (search on "Dietsch" to see other threads).

I would also like to point out that I was very impressed with the sales staff at both Silicon Valley Auto Group in Los Gatos and at British Motorcars (BMCD) in San Francisco.
I don't know anything about the service department at BMCD (yet), but I was pleased with my post-breakin service at SVAG.

EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion. SVAG has its sales office in Los Gatos, but its service garage in Campbell.
So go to Campbell for service, and to Los Gatos to scope out the Lambos and drool over the McLaren F1 (or buy the McLaren if you want a date with SFC VXN :) )

·
Registered
64 Posts
You shouldn't be worried about conversayion ability. Purpose is to drive the car with a big smile on your face through corners

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am in the bay area (live in Santa Cruz, commute to Palo Alto). Sometimes I drive the Exige, mostly I drive my MINI Cooper S.

SVAG is great. It's where I got my car. I asked for free first service and got it.

My GF wasn't feeling well the other day and I drove her over HWY 17 in 5th and 6th gear driving it like a.... well... Toyota, and it's not that bad at all if you shift at lower RPMS.

If you drive it really conservatively, it's pretty docile. A completely different car than if you're redlining and blasting around.

For what it's worth, I bought mine without ever even test driving one. I have no regrets. It's what I wanted. A street legal race car. If you've ever done a racing school in an open wheel formula car, it's kinda like that...

Sure I wish I had a supercharger, but when driving HWY 9, the extra horsepower would do me no good because I'm already sliding and exceeding the tires grip. It's an awesome car....

Went to the Santana row exotic car meet in San Jose last weekend, and got as many, if not more looks than the Lambos and Ferraris...

Just do it.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
rouvier said:
No, no, no. You are supposed to be convincing me not to buy one. Doggonnit, now I'm going to have to pick one up this weekend. :nanner:
Well, it sounds from your first post like you've done your due diligence on it, so you know the down sides very well, all of which are more than compensated for by the performance of the car.

If there's an Elise parking near you daily, have you tried worming a ride out of that person?

Tom

·
Registered
343 Posts
skottoman said:
A street legal race car. If you've ever done a racing school in an open wheel formula car, it's kinda like that...

Skottoman
It drives exactly like a street legal race car (don't own one yet, but I'm working on it)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm picking up my new Exige at SVAG in 24 hours and 23 min! :nanner2: :nanner2: :nanner2:

It's a CO (although it looks yellow in this picture, it's really orange) with LTD slip, touring and starshield

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Awesome man! Coolness.... You will not regret it.
Drove the Exige to work today... oh what fun.
Cheers!
Skottoman

·
Registered
321 Posts
rouvier said:
Damn, I'm not going to get any sleep tonight!
:sad:
Forget about getting sleep for a while. You will lay awake a night thinking about what it would be like to turbo (Forcedfed) or supercharge (Tripoint) the damn thing. You will also become very familiar with Sector 111's website. You will also logon to Elisetalk many times a day just to see if anyone has come up with any cool mods that you can obsess over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
dmoney said:
You will lay awake a night...
Check, got about 3 hours sleep last night

dmoney said:
You will also become very familiar with Sector 111's website.
Check, have already looked over every section and even placed my first over, before I even have the car!

dmoney said:
You will also logon to Elisetalk many times a day
Check, with the exception that I've been here basically all day

·
Registered
311 Posts
You will not regret the Exige. Go everywhere in it. The store, the bar, the track. Hell, I even got the owners of a go cart track to let me drive it on the track.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
rouvier said:
I don't see any reason to not drive it every day that I don't have to carry any more than my laptop to work and back.
rotfl
You will once the AC packs up with ice and does nothing!
:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
codymac said:
You will once the AC packs up with ice and does nothing!
Hasn't happened yet, although it hasn't been exactly hot since saturday, so I haven't had to use it all that much.

pilot said:
You will not regret the Exige. Go everywhere in it. The store, the bar, the track. Hell, I even got the owners of a go cart track to let me drive it on the track.
From saturday until today, I hadn't driven anything else. Today I had to carry some stuff, so I took the Saab.

However, there is a stretch of highway that has seams every 20 feet which are brutal in the exige. (for people around SFbay, I'm talking about southbound 101 between palo alto and hwy 85) I hope they repave this soon, it's murder on me and the car.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
rouvier said:
However, there is a stretch of highway that has seams every 20 feet which are brutal in the exige. (for people around SFbay, I'm talking about southbound 101 between palo alto and hwy 85) I hope they repave this soon, it's murder on me and the car.
Try the third lane from the left - though it may be slower I feel that the comfort is worth it. The carpool lane isnt too bad either.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Darkness said:
The age might have something to do with it, I'm 26, but on the other side of the coin, a friend of mind who is low 50's, wasn't allowed to *sit* in an elise at boardwalk auto center. Granted, he wasn't serious about buying one, just wanted to see what I was so excited about.

This isn't that uncommon around here. Another friend drove his new Evo only after he had handed them a check, but not put the final signatures on the line. I think it all depends on how many of the cars the dealer has. The Exige is a rare car, and when the dealer only has one or two, they can't let everyone who walks in drive them.

Anyway, yes, before I actually buy the car, I'm going to drive it. I don't drive = I don't buy.

Insist on a ride. I was able to test drive an Elise before buying mine. Let them know that you are a serious enthusiast and follower of the marque, and that you are deciding between the Elise, the Exige, and the Exige S, and I suspect that they will let you drive the Elise. :nanner2:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Darkness said:
I'm only $6k away from the Exige I want. I have a rule, if you have to spend 10% more to get what you really want, you should do it.
I like your rule.

You should be able to get into an Elise for the low $40Ks. $6K > 10%.

Stick with the Elise, you will not be disappointed. :up:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Too late, I picked up a CO Exige with Starshield (of course), Touring and LTD Slip.

As for the 10% rule, the elise that I would want would have the Sport Package and Hardtop. This car is $47,870 (MSRP). An exige is basically the same as the above elise, with a different body, and runs $51,915, or $4,050 (8.5%) more.

Looking back on this, I'm 100% sure the downforce of an exige hasn't done me any good, and probably never will. I'm just not a good enough driver for it to matter. It would have been logical to save myself some money and gain rear visibility by getting an elise. But I'm not logical and I don't regret getting the Exige one little bit. :shrug:

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkness1/sets/72157594290477639/

21 - 40 of 57 Posts