The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It is pretty damn HOT out on the track this summer....I'm wondering if any of you use a cool suit:
Search*Results:*cool suit*-*SafeRacer

Robb I know you have one...

Do you have to take out the passenger seat to mount the cooling box?
Jack, just put one in his cup car and used the passenger seat mounting holes for the box. carl

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I believe there are portable ice water packets now available that can be connected to the cool shirts instead of trying to secure the big bulky containers. Probably only good for one session.

I used a velcroed ice vest underneath a fire suit last year at Texas World Speedway in August (>90% humidity and temperatures well over 100 degrees) and it was marginal at best.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I considered getting one with a soft sided cooler last time I was up at MSR Cresson (it was nearly 100F outside). Unfortunately the smallest softsided cooler box would not fit beind the seats. :-(

Definetely have to be soloed to use one of these. :-(

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
I have the port-a-cool cool shirt setup that just uses a can or refrigerant basically that sprays through the shirt. Should be ok for the shirt time we are in the car. Doesn't require and extra mounting.

COOL SHIRT Porta-Cool Racing Cool Suit System
AJ,

FWIW, I tried it and it didn't work very well for me. In addition, you'll have to be constantly pressing the refrigerant can trigger just to get some minimal relief. You're better off getting the portable bag system ( Racing Portable Bag System - Cool Shirt ) -- should strap into your passenger seat. ;)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
AJ,

FWIW, I tried it and it didn't work very well for me. In addition, you'll have to be constantly pressing the refrigerant can trigger just to get some minimal relief. You're better off getting the portable bag system ( Racing Portable Bag System - Cool Shirt ) -- should strap into your passenger seat. ;)
Thats kind of was I was expecting..I actually already tried wearing the shirt around and the house and using it, wasn't impressed how quickly things warmed back up. PS where were you with this info when I posted my thread asking about it......oh ya, just more informative sandbagging.

I'll probably end up buying the bag system....oh well.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
AJ,

6 or 12 quart ???

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I bought the 12 quart system (portable bag) as well as the cans for quick shots. Tried it out last time I was at Calspeedway karting...in between sessions for cooling down.

Some observations:

-I usually wear a large, but the large in the shirt I got was too big for me so I didn't get adequate coverage since the shirt works best when it's skin tight. (anyone want a white short sleeve large for cheap?)

-the shirt gets drenched just from condensation around the tubing, kinda like air conditioning on windows on a hot day

-it definitely does work as described - when you first turn it on it feels like you are splashing ice water on your skin

-the cans are good for very quick relief but I actually got it to clear out the tubing of water when I'm cleaning the system

I got a long sleeve Carbon X version as well, will try this Friday at BW with the Jack Pack :)

·
lotuschamp014
410 Posts
cool shirt

I just got the 12 qt unit/ w blue shirt. Easy to install.
Got a RV dimmer switch(12 amp) to act as reostat and small blue blub, which will dim
and brighten as I turn the dial. Mounted light ,equal distance on top of shifter
cover to other buttons, warning light ,ect. Flow dial is on right side of shift
linkedge cover (easy to reach) Power is from cig lighter, changed internal
fuse to 10 amp. The dial rotates counterclockwise and clicks to off. Clockwise
to increase flow to max.
wiring easy with bullets for disconect at cooler, fits right under dash, though passenger will have to bend knees. Strap around center and thats it. Don't
know if it makes me faster but more comfortable for sure. Might post
wiring diagram. Will try it @ Buttonwillow.
Vic
Discovery Parts has best deal.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I use the air conditioning.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a RV dimmer switch(12 amp) to act as reostat and small blue blub, which will dim
and brighten as I turn the dial. Mounted light ,equal distance on top of shifter
cover to other buttons, warning light ,ect. Flow dial is on right side of shift
linkedge cover (easy to reach) Power is from cig lighter, changed internal
fuse to 10 amp. The dial rotates counterclockwise and clicks to off. Clockwise
to increase flow to max.
wiring easy with bullets for disconect at cooler, fits right under dash, though passenger will have to bend knees. Strap around center and thats it. Don't
know if it makes me faster but more comfortable for sure. Might post
wiring diagram. Will try it @ Buttonwillow.
Vic
Discovery Parts has best deal.
Sweet...I'd be interested in your setup...where in socal are you located?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
cover to other buttons, warning light ,ect. .
What's the dimmer for? Adjust flow? Not included with kit?

·
lotuschamp014
410 Posts
dimmer switch for cool shirt

Yes. To adjust flow. Cool shirt sells one for $125 + shipping
This one from RV accessory store. $ 36. Blub, knob from Radio shack.
Bullets from any hardware. The light has to grounded.
Cig lighter from Pep Boys. I am in So. Cal.
E- me and I'll fax wire diagram
Cheers Victor

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
Yes. To adjust flow. Cool shirt sells one for $125 + shipping
This one from RV accessory store. $ 36. Blub, knob from Radio shack.
Bullets from any hardware. The light has to grounded.
Cig lighter from Pep Boys. I am in So. Cal.
E- me and I'll fax wire diagram
Cheers Victor
Gas money to get the parts...$100.....LOL :D :D

I love you Victor...see you on Friday. :wave:

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O.k. I just received the Cool shirt and 12 qt system....problem is the 12 qt cooler doesn't fit into my car!...The passenger side floor has the fire extinguisher, so the other option is to harness the cooler, but that doesn't seem safe....any suggestions?

I do need the passenger seat as I will be receiving some driver's instruction...otherwise I would take the seat out at mount it there....

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
myelise...thanks for the info...i did do an ebay search for cold therapy and found the donjoy's....
problem with the trunk mount is the damn cooler is just a bit too tall for the Elise trunk...

looks like i may have to get a portable bag...anyone know where i can get one STAT in socal?....race is on sat so have to get it tomorrow

1 - 20 of 21 Posts