The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not associated with this seller in any way, and possibly this is a repost too. Maybe even a member here??

I don't like the 'alien' radio fob on the 05-07 Cobra system, so found this on eBay. Not exactly cheap, but this thing works really well and assembled in about 5 minutes. Logo is clear and crisp. Took the key blank to Lowe's and they couldn't cut...then went to local ACE and they had zero problems (have it cut before installing in housing). Anyway, pretty slick and very happy with it.

Lotus Elise/Exige Switchblade Key | eBay

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah he's a member here. I'm pretty happy with mine so far. The locking mechanism that holds the key in the closed position has gotten loose so that it flips out in my pocket at times but overall i like it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have one and do not like it. It looks like he did minor dremeling to a second rate (Chinese?) switchblade key for a different vehicle, and there are a few issues:

- The white outlines around the button icons are extremely tacky. I removed them.
- The "trunk" button is the one that operates the locks and immobilizer. The "unlock" is panic and "lock" has no function. I have to tell people that in advance, it's already caused some confusion. I realize as he's co-opting a key made for a different vehicle, it's not really under his control, but it's not right. If I pay $80 for a key, it needs to be right.
- As discussed, the build quality is poor, OEM keys for almost any vehicle have a higher build quality than this.
- The LED is only visible through a hole he seems to have cut in the side of the body. The LED lens that's already built into the key body does not function. He could have resolved this with a solid 'fiber optic' block of plastic, but it would require him to manufacture it to spec and that's not something he did anywhere on this product except the logo sticker.
- When I pull the key out of the ignition, I have to grip it from the edges instead of the flat sides, or else I'll hit the lock button.

It's a nice attempt (for someone who doesn't seem to have any manufacturing facility) but it's less convenient than the separate fob I already had.

I'm probably going to end up ditching my entire Cobra unit as it's malfunctioning anyway, so it won't matter.

·
Registered
409 Posts
They break very easily. I have one and it cracked when trying to start the car. The seller sent me replacement parts for free so now i have to be extra careful with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I did one myself with a modified 2011 Jetta switchblade. I like it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If it's the same guy that did mine I'm very happy. There is only one button to push on the back to open the locks/disarm alarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
that is awesome jwb4bb. I'd be interested in one like it in BRG if possible.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
jwb4bb - I'd also buy one.. in KG as well :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Javier- Here is your Saffron ready to go out the door. Currently working on a Graphite Gray and a couple of Krypton Green.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'll take one in CF? lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
jwb4bb that looks awesome! would it be possible to get one in solar yellow (or anything close) for me? how much?

·
Registered
208 Posts
whoa thats awsome.. how much?
I tried to msg jwb4bb, but he has exceeded his stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I want one! Paypal ready!:D

CF/AR

·
Registered
742 Posts
The eBay one looks to be a VW key fob. Not a bad price considering they are $150 from the dealer.
On the ebay add if you find his private website you get it for 70 shipped. I'm just not sure of the quality :shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts