The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just re-discovered my account here... having just spent some intimate time servicing my car: transmission fluid flush, replace M/C, and finally a coolant flush. But had a question about re-fill.

Went the traditional drain and fill, having drained out ~3 gallons from the front and rear. I'm trying to add back coolant, adding till the tank's full with the bleeds open. Ran the engine to "Engine Hot" and got another 0.25 gal in. Saw people drive their cars around to move some more fluid in, but was only able to add another 0.25 gallons in, getting to about 2 gallons now. Wondering for those who filled without the Airlift, was this your experience as well? The heater is on hot and the lines are heating up good so I think that pipeline is cleared. I've also tried applying some air to force coolant in but the fluid just returns to the reservoir, along with squeezing the coolant line. Kinda hoping I'm on the right track and that I just need 3-4 drives around the block to fully bleed the system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a few more drives in and was able to get a little coolant weeping out the rear bleeder, but not getting anything out the front bleeders. However the temp gauge fluctuates a little as I'm warming it up driving around the block (cools down a couple notches as speed goes up) as well as a warmed idle gets a blip above the midline. Prior to the flush, the temp was pretty "linear" in warming up and was pretty set on the mid point, except for the hottest days idling. Reservoir is full at just below the seam, so I'm scratching my head on whether I'm missing something. Any ideas out there??

·
Registered
224 Posts

This is a good place to start. The entire front subframe of my car was replaced and after driving it around for a while I started getting some leaks in the cooling system so I had to tighten some of the hoses and refill. This helped.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
@ZUnlimited Sounds like there's still some air in the system if the temps are fluctuating. If possible, I would find a steep-ish hill or driveway, point the car nose-down, open up the reservoir cap, then run it until the thermostat opens. Hopefully having the high-point near the rear will help move any air bubbles back towards the reservoir to be purged.

The other option could be to put an AirLift on it for a bit and see if you can vacuum out any air bubbles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea definitely read through that DIY thread. One question is that is there supposed to be 2 bleeders in the engine bay? Bobsy’s reply mentioned 2 in the rear, but I’m only finding the 1 just right of the air box.

Will try my driveway curb, only hill I got nearby. Otherwise might just have to order an airlift tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Yes, there are 2 bleeders on/near the block. One to the LHS, in the heater return line. The other is on the RHS on the bypass pipe near the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fumbling around behind the engine (towards front of car) and tracing the hose by the thermostat but I can’t still can’t seem to find it. Do you have a pic to point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. The bleeder is closer to the middle of the engine "V", on its way to the thermostat housing:

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200627154527522_COVER.jpg 1593298600185.png

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hah! I was following the service manual diagram and I assumed based on the outline of the engine it was towards the front 😅. The SC gave it an evil hiding spot. Will give this a shot! Thanks agent!

IMG_8735.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like slowly but surely getting the air out, with idle still ticking above mid fairly quickly. Might need to find a bigger hill nearby and more spirited driving. Initially I left the front liners off for a bit to burp those lines and speeds on the slow side. I'm about 2.3 gallons in now.

Also to note, the brass bleeder is also a 10mm (same as drain). A little obnoxious to get to with the SC, box wrench with the right angle and length gets it done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts