The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed that I was loosing coolant at a slow rate. After a drive yesterday was working on fixing my subwoofer and noticed a small pool of coolant on the ground below the right front side of the car.
Its definitely coolant, not washer fluid. Its coming out at the joint where the middle undertray and front undertray meet. I don't see any way that the coolant pipes themselves can be damaged. There is a hose that connects the horizontal pipe from the radiator that runs on top of the front subframe to the long pipe that runs back to the engine. Does anyone know if this can be accessed through the wheel well or will this require removal of the front clamshell to fix? The front end of my car has been rebuilt so its possible that this hose has moved under pressure and/or that the clips need tightening. The manual for the cooling system I downloaded from VSI doesn't have any information about these hoses aside from mentioning that the pipes run in the sill and this would have to be cut to replace them...Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Elise
105 Posts
Ignore

I thought I was in the elise forum. I had a leak here on my elise and it was a leaking bleed screw, maybe the evora has a similar bleed point in the same location?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try the wheel liner first if only because I will have to move some cars around in my garage to put the Evora on the lift to take off the undertrays...
I will report back if only to save anyone else from having to sort out how to get at these hoses.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Here's the view of the pipes with the RF wheel liner removed (I also had the lower A-panel removed in photos but it is not necessary). Also, as Krazykevin mentioned for the Elise, there is also a bleed screw to check on the Evora.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic. Very much appreciated. Lets hope this is an issue with the bleed screw or hose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got around to this. It turned out that the hose out of the main engine cooling radiator was leaking at the connection with the bottom of the radiator. The coolant was running back under the front tray which is why I thought it might be closer to where the return pipe enters the sill. I loosened and re positioned the clamp and am waiting to see if it leaks overnight although I suppose I really need to start the car and let the system get up to pressure before I put it all back together. I am a bit reluctant to really crank on the clamp though because I don't want to damage the radiator outlet. Has this happened to anyone else? Usually once these clamps are on right they don't leak.

Also, I recently found that this inexpensive body fastener kit from Amazon has a lot of fittings that replace the lotus fasteners that get chewed up every time I start taking the car apart.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2020-01-25 17.56.43.jpg

This is where the leak was- the top larger hose is the outlet from the main radiator. The lower hose is the inlet for the small radiator. The coolant was leaking from the larger hose.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
There has been mention of radiator fluid leaks in the past but I don't recall if anyone posted specifically where from (maybe serviced at dealer so they didn't know precise point?).

Hopefully it solves your issue. Let us know after you run it for a bit.
Good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran the engine until the coolant system was pressurized and it looked good so I put it back together and drove for 30 mins and no evidence of leaks so I hope it is fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts