The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How full is this back coolant reservoir supposed to be. I noticed pink dried liquid around the bottom of the engine bay.

here’s the front reservoir for comparison.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The main tank level should be right at the seam. It's low. I'm not sure how full the upper tank is supposed to be but I'm sure it should be higher than that. I can see dried coolant on stuff below the upper tank. Might want to try topping it off, then running the engine and taking a look to see if you can find where it's leaking from.

Reactions: Rahl

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Just replied to your TLF post, but here's more info for you:

"Back" tank (reservoir closest to the rear of the car):

1610483857849.png

"Front" tank (reservoir closer to the front of the car):

1610483902137.png

From your pictures, it seems like the front tank is possibly leaking from one of the hoses or fittings. It's its own closed-loop system, and isn't under as much pressure as the other (main) cooling system.

The rear tank might have been overfilled prior, and some coolant may have been pushed out to make room. Or maybe the reservoir cap is faulty and isn't holding the requisite pressure and is venting. Like @roarf suggested, refill the reservoirs and run the car til warm and observe for leaks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys.

The “rear tank” closest to the back of the car is about 1/2 from the seam. Seems to be within tolerances according to the manual.

The charger tank is the one that looks like it’s leaking. I cleaned it all up but haven’t put any fluid in it. There’s no mention about how low it can go. There is a max line. Which is weird since the manual says to fill to the top?? I’ll go to the max line and see what happens.

Appreciate all the help guys!!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Believe there is a Service Bulletin on the Charge Cooler Tank for cracking and leaking. My dealer changed out under Warranty/Bulletin on my '18 400.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had to have that upper tank replaced under warranty. Faulty seal.

If you take off the rear undertray you’ll probably see pink coolant on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are the best!
I have a maintenance check up coming soon. I’ll have them take a look at that bulletin.

·
Registered
241 Posts
On a related note, what coolant are we supposed to top these up with?
Engine Coolant / Charge Cooler Additive - 50/50:
Toyota Super Long Life Coolant PN675130
Valvoline Zerex Asian Vehicle

·
Registered
249 Posts
It sounds as though you have a slow leak somewhere in the very complicated Evora cooling system. I suggest keeping it topped up using the toyota fluid and keeping an eye on it. If you have a way to pressurize the cooling system (like an airlift or just use compressed air) you can try that and look for leaks. A leak in or around the engine is a lot simpler to fix than one at the front of the car. In addition to the intercooler and the engine the 400 also has the transmission cooler (I assume you have a manual) that could be a source of leaks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this happen to me once. Granted, mine is a NA. But the culprit was a faulty coolant reservoir cap which was overflowing coolant out and onto the engine bay. It's only supposed to overflow at a certain pressure. Apparently they have a limited service life and it's best to have them replaced every two years. After I replaced my cap and topped off the coolant, It has stayed at the same level ever since. Been over a year now. The Toyota part number is below. Or you can google "Genuine Toyota Reservoir Cap 16475-28140". Don't get the ones from the local auto stores. Most inexpensive fix before you try anything else.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Found the leak!!

Bottom of the reservoir where the thicker tube connects. Great.......

Leaks only when under pressure
Good for you, but which reservoir? Charge cooler, or motor? Is leak loose hose connection or defective container? The charge cooler system is under "not fully" pressurized according to TSB, so maybe heat expansion of defect leads also to leakage when car is driven and warm/hot.......if that is the leaking container, which from pics appears to be...........

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine did the same thing though after it was replaced under warranty. Seems the threads on the cap will strip if tightened too much causing the cap to pop loose and blow coolant. When retightening it took very little torque to make it pop off again so I backed it off some and now no leak but fear it's loose enough to work itself off through vibration alone. Definitely a design flaw. At least the pink coolant is easy to spot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good for you, but which reservoir? Charge cooler, or motor? Is leak loose hose connection or defective container? The charge cooler system is under "not fully" pressurized according to TSB, so maybe heat expansion of defect leads also to leakage when car is driven and warm/hot.......if that is the leaking container, which from pics appears to be...........
It’s the charge cooler. Reservoir in the back left of the engine bay. It might be a loose hose connection due to the way the CAI tubing runs under it. Maybe it is vibrated when driven. It doesn’t seem to be too close but it’s a possibility.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts