The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a practice or trick on how to get to the 3 nuts to remove the holding tank on my Lotus Esprit 1990 ? Is there a known replacement unit ? is stainless the way to go?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
If you had the boot floor removed, then there is an easy access hole from behind the coolant tanks. Here you can use a ratcheting wrench easily.

Otherwise you'll need a bunch of U-joint extensions on a ratchet, or better is a snake like driver extension.

I bought a new coolant tank from Lotus in a Sale for £55, but I think the normal price is £255...

I looked into having one made, and it would have been at least $400.

There was discussion about this issue recently here
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/1995-s4s-coolant-tank-header-tank-199313/

this is the tank mentioned (goes for £275)

If you get a replacement, you have to transfer your sensors, or buy new...
My new tank didn't come with them, so I bought new Grommets from JAE, and reused my sensors.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,091 Posts
If you had the boot floor removed, then there is an easy access hole from behind the coolant tanks. Here you can use a ratcheting wrench easily.

Here's a better pic of the hole in the RH engine wall. You can see the three bolt-holes that mount the header tank. You reach the header tank bolts from the oval opening.

I'd suspect that removing the trunk floors on the GM MPFI cars ('89+) are easier since they don't have as many connections to the control box on the rear engine wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
HI Vulcan Grey

Who did you get the replacement from?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, It's what I tought, I will check with local the Lotus dealer. There is one on eBay for 250pounds.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just ordered a stainless steel one from Lotus Bits came out to 487 shipped to USA.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I made my own tanks...with a little help. Total cost was under $200.

I bought some 2x4" and 4x4" aluminum square stock and 1/8" plate on eBay, also ordered 2 radiator necks, a handful of aluminum weld bungs, brass pipe fittings and caps.

I had a local guy weld everything up, did a nice job and was dirt cheap (charged me $100 for the tanks and chargecooler).

I think they look way cooler than the round stock tanks, they're a little longer than the stock ones and the square shape adds some volume too.

I used PEC compression fittings to mount the sensors...slipped a short piece of the plastic tube over the sensor for electrical isolation, inserted the tube into the fitting and snugged it up with the compression nut...way better than the OEM rubber grommet.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts