The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are most people using these days for coolant? There are several threads out there but they seem to be dated and I imagine there are better options today.
I use G13 in my other cars and bikes made out of aluminum.

Would G13 be an option in the 918? Or should I be embarrassed for asking the question? :)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Don't be embarrassed. We won't make fun of you (at least, to your face). ?
I found this VW site about the properties of the G13 coolant:

Sounds good for the Esprit (which has lots of aluminum components, even the piping inside the chassis backbone is AL) As usual, they recommended flushing the cooling system rather than mixing different types. (Always a good practice)

I hear ya about trying to keep to one type. As we have changed cars over the years, I now need to stock FOUR different types for our 'fleet'. :mad:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Would
Don't be embarrassed. We won't make fun of you (at least, to your face). ?
I found this VW site about the properties of the G13 coolant:

Sounds good for the Esprit (which has lots of aluminum components, even the piping inside the chassis backbone is AL) As usual, they recommended flushing the cooling system rather than mixing different types. (Always a good practice)

I hear ya about trying to keep to one type. As we have changed cars over the years, I now need to stock FOUR different types for our 'fleet'. :mad:
Would like to hear opinions from other Esprit owners about G13 and or the classic green stuff we're all familiar with. I like the environmental friendly part of G13.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The "good ole green stuff" AKA Prestone, is the coolant the system was designed for. It is readily available and affordable. It can be recycled. Should be tested every year for ph and freezing point and flushed every 5 years. Be sure to use it with soft water mixed 50/50 (if you buy the concentrate). If you buy the pre-mixed DO NOT add water.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
394 Posts
In Orlando there is no concern over antifreeze....but coolant is different. What cools better? Preston's green or water? Water. Is there something that cools better than water? Red Line Oil Water Wetter. My V8 runs a lot of green right right out of the bottle, a lot of distilled water and about 40% of a bottle of water wetter.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
What cools better? Preston's green or water? Water.
Yeah, but water alone doesn't inhibit corrosion. I could be wrong here, but don't water pump seals also benefit from being in contact with coolant vs just water?
I don't know about the 918, but the 910 tells you to do a 40:60 mix antifreeze:water
It says 25%-60% coolant is acceptable depending on climate.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Eyerace is right, water is a significantly better coolant than antifreeze. Water Wetter (Redline) has all of the additives package that antifreeze uses, plus a water pump lubricant. Distilled water and water wetter is ideal and the cooling system will run about 20F cooler. Water and water wetter has a higher thermal conductivity than antifreeze and much smaller bubble size at the cylinder head due to its non-ionic surfactant. G13 is a propylene glycol coolant. The Euorpeans just size their cooling systems to allow for a much poorer thermal conductivity.

Eyerace!, I didn't know you were a Lotus enthusiast too. I'm DanW on ApexSpeed.

Regards,
Dan

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
You KNOW there are several different types of Zerex, right? :rolleyes: One for every day of the week, seems like. :p

I have a headache, now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This quote from the VW site about G13 makes me think it is not suitable for the V8 Esprit:

"On the other hand, G13 is not the best choice for older cooling systems with copper/brass radiators and heater cores. It doesn’t work well with the lead solder. Use antifreeze with G11 or G12 specification instead."

At one point I got the bright idea to try Dexcool AF which is for GM aluminium systems. Then I belatedly read all the warnings about mixing types so I backed off on that approach. Oh well, at least I can put it in the Vette...:cautious:

Like David said I would stick with the tried and true "conventional" green stuff.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Do NOT run straight water. Even with Water Wetter. While W/W may have the additive package that anti-freeze has, you will not have the higher boiling point (or lower freezing point) that you get with using anti-freeze. Race cars do run water and additives but that is because on many tracks anti-freeze is not allowed. If you leak anti-freeze it is VERY slippery and everyone will slide off the track!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. Looks like it's going to be good old Prestone. Haven't used that in years but as David said it's readily available and recyclable.
Nice find 71type65. I didn't see that note about the G13. Good to know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts