The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good source for buying Lotus recommended coolant. What engine temperture is normal for Florida, I see anywhere from 190 to 205. What would be considered overheating?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The manual states to use the Havoline Orange coolant, but none of the Texaco stations around here have it, but I have found that most auto places carry Orange capped bottles made by other companies it in stock already mixed at a 50/50 ratio, and I have used this without any problem.

I am not sure if the Toyota Red coolant for the Celica engine would be ok, since I'm not sure if they use an all aluminum radiator or not.

My temperature ranges from 183-186 when moving between 60-80 mph to about 203-206 when stopped in traffic for a few minutes. I went for a 5 mile drive today and it was 96 degrees outside and the temperature got up to 203 after letting the car idle in the garage for about 2 minutes when I got home.

After a while the cooling fan will kick on.

Make sure that you bleed the cooling system too to make sure that their aren't any air pockets. There are 3 bleed screws. One in the front, one in the back, and another one on top of the coolant tank. The left side of the reservoir tank should be full, and the right half should be between the minimum and maximum mark.

edit: I also have one of the early cars with 2 oil coolers, (standard on sport package now) so I dont know if this helps the engine to run cooler or not

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
183 to 185 normal cruising operations

200 when my style's being cramped....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in Orlando and see 200 degrees fahrenheit when I'm driving in stop and go in the morning. In normal city driving (downtown and UCF areas) I also average high 196-200.

Whenever I drive to Naples to visit my parents, I get around 190-192 at 80mph on I-75. Hope this helps.

I plan do do a coolant flush in the next few weeks to get ready for summer.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The manual states to use the Havoline Orange coolant, but none of the Texaco stations around here have it, but I have found that most auto places carry Orange capped bottles made by other companies it in stock already mixed at a 50/50 ratio, and I have used this without any problem.
Interesting this thread came up concerning the Havoline coolant recommended for our cars. I have been dong some research lately on the availability of this coolant in the US and have been unable to come to any conclusions. The product called for in the Lotus manual is Havoline XLC (extra life coolant) and all the Havoline coolant I have seen for sale in stores here is Havoline extended life DexCool. A little internet research on the Havoline website shows the only coolant listed for sale here in the US is the DexCool. If you go to their European site all it lists is the XLC as available but not the DexCool. This is where things get interesting--the decriptions for both of these products appear to show them as being identical. Is this just a different name being used for the same product when it is sold overseas? Is the Havoline DexCool a completely different product from XLC? Has anyone been able to get official answers to these questions? :shrug:

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Dan,
Havoline (and Lotus) have confirmed that XLC and DexCool are the same product, just renamed for different markets.
Hope this is helpful to all.
Michael
Interesting this thread came up concerning the Havoline coolant recommended for our cars. I have been dong some research lately on the availability of this coolant in the US and have been unable to come to any conclusions. The product called for in the Lotus manual is Havoline XLC (extra life coolant) and all the Havoline coolant I have seen for sale in stores here is Havoline extended life DexCool. A little internet research on the Havoline website shows the only coolant listed for sale here in the US is the DexCool. If you go to their European site all it lists is the XLC as available but not the DexCool. This is where things get interesting--the decriptions for both of these products appear to show them as being identical. Is this just a different name being used for the same product when it is sold overseas? Is the Havoline DexCool a completely different product from XLC? Has anyone been able to get official answers to these questions? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Dan,
Havoline (and Lotus) have confirmed that XLC and DexCool are the same product, just renamed for different markets.
Hope this is helpful to all.
Michael
another interesting tidbit...
Dexcool is also known as Deathcool and is known for catastrophic engine failure... dont put any GM product in an elise (this includes but is not limited to ecotec engines, K20 is better and cheaper heh)
just do google on dexcool

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
another interesting tidbit...
Dexcool is also known as Deathcool and is known for catastrophic engine failure... dont put any GM product in an elise (this includes but is not limited to ecotec engines, K20 is better and cheaper heh)
just do google on dexcool
Yep, that has been my personnal experience with DexCool/Deathcool in my GM vehicles too. My Elise will be purged of this stuff after the warranty has expired.

·
Registered
143 Posts
so what's the best coolant to use? i had my coolant hose by the radiator become loose so when i refilled, i just used the same havoline orange coolant. now i read all these GM reports of the coolant eating the head gasket and causing catastrophic damage. should i be switching to a different coolant?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
when I got my 240sx the engine had had deathcool in it and the waterpump was trashed and alot of the metal coolant lines were about to rupture. so if I HAD to have that crap in my car I would replace it a regular coolant intervals (every 1-2 years) its advertised as "silica free" but silica is what protects aluminum from being eaten, and whatever they replaced it with doesnt work for as long as advertised

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
so what's the best coolant to use?
I'm not claiming to know what is best, but I do have a plan for my Elise. I have had good success with Evans NPG+ waterless coolant on an antique Triumph TR2. No more corrosion and failed cooling components on this car and it is a lifetime fill. I mentioned this coolant once before here and was told by many it was worthless snake oil marketing and to avoid it all costs, however a few guys that have used it told me they were having great results with it. I am not saying this coolant is for everyone, however my experience has shown it to be an excellent alternative to conventional coolants. So take this recommendation with a grain of salt, do your research and decide if you want to try it......my flame suit is on and YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts