The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. I live in Texas and I get major swamp ass and a soaked back when I drive with the top off in the summer. I've been thinking about modifying my driver's seat with a grid of holes with air blowing through them powered by a 12v fan. I've used cushions like these before, and they were great. I'm going to need to figure out how to cleanly get holes punched through the leather and the meager padding, and figure out a way to duct the airflow up the back side of the seat though the holes (rows of semi-rigid tubing or a single flat shell backing?).
I didn't get any hits searching the forum, but before the tears ensue after I ruin my driver's seat, I thought I'd see if anyone else had attempted this...and if anyone had a spare seat to sell when I destroy mine. Thanks for suggestions or taunts.

Josh

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they do make them and I have used them before. They work, but have problems. They don't fit the Elise seats very well, as they are too large. They are also made of synthetic fiber (hot), fade quickly, and the ducting crumbles after a couple months- and I'm only about 160 lbs. I also don't like sitting up over an inch higher- The windshield bezel likes to cover up traffic lights even worse, as I'm a tall guy.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
In all seriousness I would try lamb skin wool. Guys who use wranglers out here in AZ swear by it. You can pick up some of the fabrics cheap and even material glue so you don't have to sew. Nothing will fit that bucket out if the box. They make it in black too. Remember; simplify then lighten.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Lambs wool is very good. Keeps one warm in winter, cool in summer. All my loafers are lined with it.

How about those horrid beaded seat covers cab drivers use?

(Don't forget the 6 or so pine tree air fresheners...)

Skwerl, great avatar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts