The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to replace the front and side plastic grills with mesh from customcargrills.com. I think that they are between 68% and 72% open. Should I be worried about a cooling problem?

Thanks,
ct

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I'm planning to replace the front and side plastic grills with mesh from customcargrills.com. I think that they are between 68% and 72% open. Should I be worried about a cooling problem?

Thanks,
ct
Send kmt63 a PM. His grille kit uses a good mesh, he can tell you what % is open.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
its the 68% open area.i only have the scoop grills though.many people have switched to the mesh grills in front.with no problem in cooling.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I think you're splitting atoms there.:shrug:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Anytime you further restrict airflow you will further decrease the efficiency of the system requiring that airflow. Whether or not it will be a problem however is multifactorial, including the initial efficiency of the system and whether or not the initial airflow meets or exceeds the requirements, the requirements of your car and how you use it (is it FI, do you track the car, do you race the car, do you rarely if ever get over 3000rpm, etc).

I don't think the Lotus cooling system and airflow design are known as one of its strong points.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Well, someone needs to compute the frontal surface area of the mesh and compare it to the surface area of the stock plastic grilles.....:shrug:

·
Registered
526 Posts
i converted all my slats to mesh and have noticed no difference in cooling
+1 the only problem I could see is a whole lot of bugs clogging up the mesh. living in the country I have had quite bug collection after a long late evening drive. :eek:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've converted my radiator, side, and rear deck lid plastic to mesh and have noticed no difference in cooling, if anything it runs a little more cool now - I haven't seen engine temps as high as I used to in stop and go traffic after replacing the slats with mesh. No cooling problems on the track either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts