The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have read the forums, it's evident that the evora can run hot in slow traffic. I was wondering what if anything can be done about this to help reduce the problem?

I have a Radium CAi.

Does it help to remove the engine cover in total?
I noticed that while facing the front of the car and overlooking the engine compartment on the right hand side there is a tube that seems to come in from the side vent. Would it help to remove this?

Anyway to get more air in the engine compartment by modifying the side vents?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Remove 3rd cat if you have it and we'll need a solution similar to the eliminator on our Eliges. That significantly helped cool my Elise. If you live in an extremely hot area, you can consider removing rear glass and installing louvers. I believe someone has done that already.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Removing the bellypan section under the engine compartment may help lower engine bay temps, but really very few people seem to have a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
That's aero though, not a good piece to remove.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I've experimented with removing the cover and noticed not only did it not affect the engine temperature, the car wasn't as peppy. This is attributed to more hot air reaching the intake thus reducing the oxygen concentration available for aiding combustion.

Anyway, regarding the louvered cover, I was told it does little to reduce the engine temp, but it does drastically reduce the engine bay and cabin temps.

I think the best way to improve on the Evora's cooling system is to add another radiator. The obvious location would be above the engine in the engine bay, in combination with a louvered cover (like it is in the GT4). Of course that's easier said than done.

BTW Has anyone tried using the radiator cooling enhancers? I believe it reduces the viscosity and thus effectively allows heat to transfer quicker. The trade off is that it makes the fluid less resistant bacterial growth.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Here is what we did to reduce heat and it has reduced it by almost 10 Degrees:

1. Full Exhaust system. By just removing both PreCat's and installing a single sport cat all the heat that get's trapped in there will be pushed out.
2. Remove the post CAT also referred to as 3rd CAT.
3. Replace the engine glass cover with the GT4 vented Cover.
4. Change the thermostat

This part is also something i'm looking for and Allen is trying to see if they can make it out of carbon fiber. I believe that part itself can bring twice as much air into the engine area when the car is moving. Also it mean more cooler air for the intake.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would be interested in that part as well. It seems like it would do a good job of funneling air into the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
That's why i'm waiting for someone else to make it. There is noway i would pay $1500 for that stupid part. There are many other projects I have in mind other than that little item.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would be interested in a Carbon fiber part like that as well but for any more then $200 forget it. For such a simple and small piece $1500 = Rip off.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
yeah it's pretty pricey stuff.

a part like that wouldn't be too hard to make yourself.. just takes time and a bit of ingenuity.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts