Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, September 29, 2012

2006 Elise
sport/ tour
8200 miles.

Hey all:

I just ran to the liquor store for some white russian fixings (Lebowski style) and upon cranking heard the whine of the Front Oil Cooler Fan. This certainly caught my attention because I hardly ever hear that fan, even on warm summer days when the car has been working hard.

This, now, was a cold start. Fan is only on when engine is cranked, NOT when key is on and electrics are on. Just when the motor is running.

I washed the car today; nothing unusual there, but I was wondeing if there may be some sort of a short due to water?

I am unaware of any manual switch for this fan, either.

Any suggestions, explanations or assistance is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Did you have the air on?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have the air on?
No, D_P, the cooling fan came on the moment I cranked up. I tried cycling through all the potential settings on the AC/ Heat and the fan kept running.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hmmm... The fans come on because of temp (ECU) or because of the hi pressure switch in the ac line. With it being on only when the engine running, not with the key just on, makes me think maybe the ac clutch was engaged, triggering that side of the circuit.

I dont like the answer, but... You did wash the car, wounder if it will be back to normal tomorrow?

If the fans still run tomorrow, turn the heater fan on, not the ac just the fan, and see if its blowing cold air?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
**Just** went out and started the car, engine on, fan was off (as it *should* be) So all is well. I do not know if, perhaps, a water droplet dried and any short in a switch was removed, or if there is a different modality to what just happened.

Again, drove her about 150 miles (Trail Ridge Road) yesterday, top down in the dark, so had full heater on and re-circulation button on as well. TODAY: washed a cold car this morning (appx 65 degrees 5,000 ft elevation, in sun) and she sat about 6 hours, motor still cold. Six hours later I ran to the store for booze, motor cold, for at least six hours after a garden hose wash. Upon engine start (crank and turnover) the front oil fan immediately came on strong (whine.) The fan would go OFF if I killed the engine, and the fan only ran when the engine was turning, not when electrics were only on. I hoped it was an issue from washing, and went ahead and drove about 3 miles, coolant temps got to nearly 190. Then home and shut down. By this point, front oil coolers were warm. Posted my initial thread, then checked the issue (started up again) 2 hours later, and the fan is no longer running.

However, I still do not understand why this happened;

Doug, I searched lotustalk/ google several hours ago and found THIS diagram, and this August 2012 post:

(post)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/radiator-fan-s-118589/

I also saw a former post about a fellow who was tracking and wanted the fans to start sooner, and YOU (DP) and SirLotus were making suggestions. I do not understand the AC/pressure relationship to the oil cooling fans. I may simply be in need of a lesson! Thanks for the imput! (Scott)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I suspect that the fan running was a combination of two things

1) the car wash
2) the Lucas electric "ghost in the machine" from Lotus's of old:).

The ac/pressure switch is on the high pressure side of the ac and makes the cooling fans run if you are running the ac. Turn off the ac, the ac compressor stop, the high pressure bleeds off, the fans stop.

I am voting that water got somewhere is normally isnt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts