The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radiator
Have seen the post on radiators. Will probably go with the elise parts/proalloy unit. If there are other ready made bolt on options, please let me know.

Thermostat
Does anyone know when the thermostat on an exige 240 opens?

Upgraded cooling fans
Similarly does anyone know when the standard fans come on?
Has anyone isntalled a thermo switch?

I'm considering the elise parts fan upgrades:
Talked to Ian and he's not 100% sure whether these bolt onto s240 exige. Can anlyone comment on this?

thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
i don't own a lotus so i'm unsure about what thermostat comes factory. i replaced the thermostat on my 2zz with a trd unit and the difference was clear. because it opens at a much colder temperature, the coolant doesn't get a chance to reach dangerous temperatures. Also, the radiator fan rarely has to turn on which was also a result from the thermostat opening colder. well worth the work if your car frequents hpde's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i think I'll put in a low temp thermostat since the OEM one opens in the range of normal operating temps. That range should drop a bit after the other cooling bits are in.

Another note on the fans, learned that there are many spec SPAL fans for same sizes so the original one may not be the most efficient SPAL fan. Will need to take the clam off to verify...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Keep in mind these engines were designed to run at a specific temperature. When you reduce the coolant temperature you reduce power and increase engine wear.

We'd block parts of the radiator off with blue tape on the track for our Formula Mazda racecar during the cooler months...

I guess that leads up to the question of: Are you having cooling issues?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind these engines were designed to run at a specific temperature. When you reduce the coolant temperature you reduce power and increase engine wear.

We'd block parts of the radiator off with blue tape on the track for our Formula Mazda racecar during the cooler months...

I guess that leads up to the question of: Are you having cooling issues?
yes, point taken, operating under optimal range will advance engine wear. I did the same, taped off my GTR's radiator when using it in the street. Seems the word on the street on optimal operating range for 2ZZ is mid 80s, which is just like most japanese engines... if I am misinformed, please let me know!

My car runs consistantly at 89-91C water when moving (no matter how it's driven, AC on/off), which if the above is true, appears on the high side. On track, I'd imagine those temps to move to mid 90s. Oil temps usually run 5-10C over water so that's in the 100s.

Looking to keep consistent Oil temps in mid 80s. Water down correspondingly.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Seems the word on the street on optimal operating range for 2ZZ is mid 80s, which is just like most Japanese engines... if I am misinformed, please let me know!
Optimal for what? Power, longevity, or emissions. The engine is designed to operate at an optimum temperature - the one the thermostat is controlling the the temperature to. By running it cooler, you can usually make more power, but that is because the ECUs "think" the engine is not warmed up and tend to run richer. This improves power slightly, but greatly increases emissions, and reduces the longevity of your engine. It causes other problems in the long term.

If you want it you engine to last and be more trouble free, run the stock temperature thermostat in it. Believe it or not, the guys that designed the engine really do know what they are doing...

As for adding additional cooling, are you having cooling problems now? If not, maintaining a good clean cooling system will keep it that way, and there is no real need to "upgrade" unless you really just have a lot of extra money that you just have to spend...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't doubt lotus has put out an optimal street car package from their perspective, one that can be sold globally in one spec. Whether this is optimal for me is in quesion. I suspect this will not be enough given the climates where I live and given the intended track use. And in future, the plan is to boost up + ecu.... thus IMO upgraded stabalized cooling is in order.

I am preparing for the track in mid august. 30-35C 80% humidity. The engine will have cooling issues, an exige S version has gone to the same track, couldn't last more than a few laps and had to pit. W temps were over 100. Lots of hard braking and acceleration on this track, relatively low speeds.

For street, the current has worked fine, very stable, impressive. But because the thermostat opens around 88-90c, this won't work for the track if I want to keep my operating temps lower. I need a constant flow.

I believe once an engine is up beyond 70-80C, the ECU considers it warmed, so issues with running richer shouldn't be an issue. I'm guessing the TRD thermo is 68C like most thermos for jap. engines.

I am just speaking out of past experiences and don't have experience with lotus. I have talked to relevant local pupils but interested in the info this forum has to add. So please correct me if I am off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All the information you could want on stats here moremonkey.com • View topic - TRD Thermostat

If you are going to change the rad, look at the Proalloy charge cooler and performance radiator option ;)
Pro Alloy Ltd - The UK's Number One for Alloy Racing Tanks, Radiators & Intercoolers...

Adrian
Thanks for that link.

Already have the rad from elise parts, which if Im not mistaken is the same radiator in the proalloy kit. TRD thermo on order, will go in next month at the same time.

Electric fans, I ordered one SPAL by accident thinking it came as a set of 2. When the clam is off, i will see whether the fan is the same, if it's a higher volume spec, will prob. just use it for the primary.

I'll update results here, for those interested.

As for the cooler, I think I might try the RLS air to air, meth/O2 inj kit ... I like the merits of meth/02 inj for high compression applications, the weight factor, and that the IC is a relatively straight forward bolt on solution (no need to chop and mod).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update on results.

Changed to an elise parts large alum radiator, TRD thermo, motul water - normal running temps 77C, traffic high 80's. Semi hard driving, mid 80s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts