The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am doing my brakes on the Elise. The Sands site says to use copper based anti-seize compound. I dont have that nor do any of the stores around here have it.

I do have regualar...what is the difference?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
neither...

You want a graphite based paste that is mean't for the back of brake pads and their shims.
Over time the paste will harden and not slop all over the place, but it will continue to help the brakes pads stay quiet and not squeal or stick.

Don't put grease or antiseize on the brake pads it may contaminate the rotors.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think hes talking about the slide pins on the rear caliper. Only put anti seize on the threads of the pins.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Tony,

I'm not sure which Anti-seize you are referring to as the "regular." There are a many different types with a few differences between them. Basically it boils down to the type or types of metal you will be applying the anti-seize to and the expected temp that those pieces will see. Some metals shouldn't have copper used, etc. Some of the most common types you may encounter are:

Non-metallic anti-seize can be used on all types of metals (stainless steel and other sensitive alloys where copper is prohibited). Non-metallics are typically specialty use items often with molybdenum or resin suspended in a grease base. You will typically see these on rail car couplings, in the food industry, etc.

Aluminum-graphite anti-seize is a general purpose anti-seize that protects typically protects for seize and galling up to 1600 to 2000 degrees F. This is probably what you are calling "regular" anti-seize.

Copper anti-seize is recommended for use on carbon steel. The temp range is typically up to 1800 degrees F.

Nickel anti-seize is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys, brass against steel or when other very dissimilar metals are touching. The protection here extends typically to 2400 degrees F. Nickel is often considered the best for stainless but you can find formulations of alum-graphite and even some of pure copper that are called "Stainless Steel Antiseize." I would use nickel.

Zinc anti-seize is recommended for aluminum against steel and typically protects to about 750 degrees F.

You can find different mixes of graphite with each of the metallics as well, like copper-graphite based, etc. and different mixes of metals such as aluminum-copper with or with out graphite mixed. The list of combinations goes on and on. There are different purity levels of each type of metallic anti-seize, etc. There are also specialty anti-seize compounds but these are typically found in industrial applications, nuclear industries, etc.

EDIT: The above listed temp ranges will vary by manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts