The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately on my way to work, I take the 465 belt around Indianapolis, I have seen a couple State Troopers on the side of the road looking at oncoming traffic through binoculars. My radar detector didn't go off, so I can't imagine it is some type of new radar gun. What are they checking for???...seat belts? Anyone know?...just curious about our hard at work tax dollars!

Andy

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Birds? Cops could be avid bird watchers!!! shame on you for thinking different!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Could be old school, timing you between two landmarks.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
Other way around. Use binocs to spot the popos. Especially on long, straight highways.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Other way around. Use binocs to spot the popos. Especially on long, straight highways.
...yeah, driving a lightweight high-performance sportscar while using binoculars isn't a very good idea, besides which you'd be lucky to get a discernable image at even five power with our suspension... ;)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
^ :eek: thats just not fair!!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
They aren't aren't looking to serve and protect you, I can guarantee that.

On the way to AL for the LOG meeting yesterday **** and I saw a revenue generation party. One cop lasering from an overpass and right past it TWELVE cop cars in a line up the onramp waiting to pick people off. (Ok so there were like 8 on the onramp and 4 with people pulled over). Their baiting station was at the top of a hill so as you were approaching the trap you could not see the flashing lights of all the cars pulled over the crest of the hill. What a bunch of $%^&*# $%&($!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Every year during the Moto GP at Laguna Seca the 12th street overpass of Highway 1 is jammed with Highway Patrol. Got followed by 8 motorcycle officers last year as I came off the ramp, hadn't done anything, just bad timing. Cruised at 65 and eventually they passed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I used to say I was glad to be in Canada because you never really saw a cop stopped on the side of the road unless he was helping someone change a tire, but they've started cracking down up here too

·
Registered
804 Posts
I used to say I was glad to be in Canada because you never really saw a cop stopped on the side of the road unless he was helping someone change a tire, but they've started cracking down up here too
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl
Try driving in Calgary. They don't need officers hiding behind bushes. The gazillion speed cameras do a fine job all by themselves.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They aren't aren't looking to serve and protect you, I can guarantee that.

On the way to AL for the LOG meeting yesterday **** and I saw a revenue generation party. One cop lasering from an overpass and right past it TWELVE cop cars in a line up the onramp waiting to pick people off. (Ok so there were like 8 on the onramp and 4 with people pulled over). Their baiting station was at the top of a hill so as you were approaching the trap you could not see the flashing lights of all the cars pulled over the crest of the hill. What a bunch of $%^&*# $%&($!
They do the same thing on 65 South around Birmingham / Cullman Alabama throughout the year, usually when there are races down at Barber Motorsports Park.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't complain about the officers, complain about (and to) your Governor, and Legislature. These individuals are the ones who ultimately write the citation quotas into the standard operating procedures of the departments and hold the policy making power. The road officers (especially State Police Officers) are (for the most part) simply doing the job that they have been ordered to do by their superiors at the pleasure of employment. What are they going to do, tell the Sheriff, Chief, or the Superintendent "NO" when he tells them to write "X" number of tickets:confused:? How many times do you tell your boss your not going to do as you are ordered:no:? We are not all out to get you, just out to do the job we are employed to perform and don't have much say in the matter on how it's done. For those of us who have the option to write or not to write (free of a quota SOP.) you will find that citations come few and far between and we don't enjoy handing you a $150.00 fine any more then you like getting it.

Example: The traffic project on the Tail of the Dragon. Enforcement has been ordered by the TN. Governor with a mathmatical requirement of citations to show work is being done. It's not Blount Co. Deputies or the Tenn. Highway Patrol officers fault that enforcement is so thick, it's what they were orderded to do. If you want it changed you have to change the persons in charge.

·
Registered
257 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl
Try driving in Calgary. They don't need officers hiding behind bushes. The gazillion speed cameras do a fine job all by themselves.
No kidding. My wife and I earned three tickets in two weeks from the same spot. They installed a camera near an on-ramp which was located just after a sign dropping the speed limit. When entering Bow Trail (I think) you'd never know the speed limit was lower, because there wasn't a sign. Other than that, my encounters with Mounties were all quite positive and unfailingly polite.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I got like six tickets in one day from the same spot near the airport in Amsterdam (Netherlands) so I feel your pain. Speed cameras are wrong on so many levels. The fact that the tickets are no-point is proof positive that they are there purely for revenue generation. Crap like this is why I believe ticket revenue should be taken out of circulation rather than spent on ANYTHING WHATSOEVER.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I thought Laser Guns had to be held accuratley still. Isn't that why they train officers to hold the laser guns on the hood of the car or edge of the door? How can the binoculars be held accuratly still to obtain an accurate reading?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts