The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They love to follow me. Last weekend I was just cruising along 70 or so on Hwy 24 (65 limit in CA) and I see the cop way back in my rear view camera -- he comes flying up next to me on the right side (passenger side). He just stays next to me for about 5 miles, he and his buddy are looking over (younger cops), so I give them the thumbs up sign and then they take off.

Not sure what this is about, but it has happened to me multiple times. My only guess is that they are checking out my NAV display and making sure I'm not watching a DVD or something???

On the street I'm very mild, don't race anyone (I get plenty of challenges) -- leave that for the track -- and for the most part I drive pretty normal with the flow of other traffic. Deserted roads, sure that's another story, but suburbs and city stuff, I'm well behaved.

Anyone else get cops following them?

Rob.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
yeah - and I drive pretty much as you described.

I ignore them. No sense in validating their behavior.

They've pulled up on my ass trying to incite a reaction, swerved into my lane, and some other colorful bull****...

I am not alone in my disdain for LE representatives and their mistreatment of those who they claim to protect and serve.

Through familial and work experience, and unfortunately having to deal with cops regularly, I've found fewer law enforcement agents without a chip on their shoulder than with. Call me crazy or unruly, but there you have it.

For the most part, traffic and patrol is a sh!tty job. I don't know of any cop that wakes up in the morning and says "OH BOY, I can't WAIT to go pull someone over to potentially get an arrest and make money for the county! And if there's an accident, I get to scoop up brains off the highway. And maybe if we're lucky, someone will shoot at us later! WHOO HOO!" Not my idea of a great job.

The best cops I know are using their current position in LE as a springboard into whatever other area of LE they are interested in. A lot of the others can't get out of it, and wind up with PTSD from the horrible situations they're placed in.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure they could pull me over since I don't have a front plate, only rear plate ... but they just seem to wanna follow for a while. Wish I know what they were thinking.

Same deal when I was driving from NorCal to SoCal on I5 -- cop followed me for atleast 25 miles, right on my bumper after he pulled a U on the freeway from the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
that's when you take the next exit, and get the car number as they pass by... then call 911 and let them know what car # is harassing you - especially if they are following at an unsafe distance without lighting you up.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The1sen - You don't call the police to complain about the police.

If you have this 'get even' mindset with cops you won't last long. That is a no-win game. There are thousands of laws on the books to make it very easy for any cop who wants to make your life hell do so with minimal effort. Not to mention draconian police state laws like the Patriot Act which are about dealing with you, not some fictional bad guy.

You don't give them an easy opportunity to mess with you (no front plate, burnt out tailight, etc). Of course they can mess with you whenever they want. Just reduce the odds that they will. Never underestimate their resolve to screw you over. They are thinking 'how can I nail this guy' not 'how can I help this guy.'

You don't talk to police, period. Avoid them and then avoid then some more. Every time you talk to the police you will regret it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wXkI4t7nuc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wXkI4t7nuc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got pulled over once because the cops just wanted to look at the car. Total BS. But I have to agree with Noisycow here (can't believe I just typed that), there is nothing to be gained by challenging the police. Smile and move on.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Through familial and work experience, and unfortunately having to deal with cops regularly, I've found fewer law enforcement agents without a chip on their shoulder than with. Call me crazy or unruly, but there you have it.
...it's an unfortunate truth that a significant portion of the aspiring law enforcement demographic were the grudge-carrying delinquent social underdogs we all knew back in high school - i wouldn't say that they're necessarily a majority of police officers, but their inappropriate behavior certainly makes them the most visible and memorable encounters amongst law enforcement personnel...

...regardless, i've found that if i treat them with cheerful respect, nearly all police officers tend to reciprocate in one form or another - even my front-plate incidents have ended well...as noisycow notes, the odds are precariously stacked against civilians in any confrontation, so it's best to give them reason to move along and find a more compelling target to harass...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Once got a speeding ticket in my Europa, it said on the ticket: visibly fast.

So I said in court: Your Honor, this car is visibly fast sitting still. He agreed.

I get the occasional hairy eyeball in the Esprit, but for the most part they have left me alone. Politeness and sympathy seem to work well. There is the occasional attitude, but the majority I've come into contact with genuinely want to do a good job.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here we go again... Maybe they just are checking the car out. In MY experience when people have a lot of contact with Police it's generally because they are A-holes LOL. Seriously, it's a very small % that have "chips" on their shoulders. It's just exaggerated because EVERY bad story is recounted dozens of times. Unfortunately VERY FEW of the good stories are ever recounted.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
exactly...if you're being followed just pull off at the next offramp or turn, then hop back on the road a few minutes later.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Unfortunately VERY FEW of the good stories are ever recounted.
Maybe because most people have never had a good encounter with LE?

Either they have had NO encounter or a BAD encounter. :shrug:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've had more than my share of experiences with LEOs. Some have been good. Most have not. Cops doing traffic patrol really do hate the world, so unless you're getting pulled over by a Lieutenant or something in an unmarked, they will do everything possible to fill out the quota and stick you with everything you talk yourself in to.

Sit still, hands visible, (with the top on, right hand on the top of the wheel, left hand on the door sill works well), yes sir/no sir answers only. Period, full stop, unless you're lucky enough to know a LOCAL cop who is part of the precinct the cop in question belongs to.

There are still quite a few cops out there who really do stand behind the "to protect and serve" ideal, but virtually none of them work in traffic.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
rotfl Yeah, I'm an A-HOLE Yamanator. I guess I am guilty as charged for talking to the Police. :huh: I definitely shouldn't have talked to them as a city employee. :confused: Familial experience was: my mother married a cop, an arrogant, self centered, mistrusting, typical example of an NYC cop. :rolleyes: I also met some that are fine, rare, but true... As I mentioned, most are ill with PTSD if they stay in their patrol job.

Are you cop by chance? It seems that you post in every cop thread where a negative comment is made about any cop? So I'm just wondering if you're on LT between coffee and doughnut breaks, or if you're related in some way to the cops like I unfortunately was. Then again, if I were a cop, I wouldn't admit to it so I don't expect you will...

NoisyCow, I watched that whole video. That was awesome. I'm glad I don't work with the city any longer, and I am even more glad that you brought that to light. What an amazing game of semantics our legal system can be!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
so far my only cop encounter with the elise was walking back from the costco food court a cop asked me if I wanted to race... I told him it was still in break-in(I didn't even have my plate on yet)

·
Registered
166 Posts
rotfl Yeah, I'm an A-HOLE Yamanator. I guess I am guilty as charged for talking to the Police. :huh: I definitely shouldn't have talked to them as a city employee. :confused: Familial experience was: my mother married a cop, an arrogant, self centered, mistrusting, typical example of an NYC cop. :rolleyes: I also met some that are fine, rare, but true... As I mentioned, most are ill with PTSD if they stay in their patrol job.

Are you cop by chance? It seems that you post in every cop thread where a negative comment is made about any cop? So I'm just wondering if you're on LT between coffee and doughnut breaks, or if you're related in some way to the cops like I unfortunately was. Then again, if I were a cop, I wouldn't admit to it so I don't expect you will...

NoisyCow, I watched that whole video. That was awesome. I'm glad I don't work with the city any longer, and I am even more glad that you brought that to light. What an amazing game of semantics our legal system can be!

You noticed I post in every cop thread? I've posted in exactly one before this and I said basically the same thing. By that logic YOU have posted in "every cop thread". So what's your angle? Well I'm sorry that mommy married a mean bad cop man and you now have issues from it. Truly. I hate to break it to you but there are bad cops out there. Why? Because like priests, like charity organizations like large businesses. It's peopled by HUMANS and humans no matter what organization you're a part of are flawed. There are bad priests there are bad charity workers who steal and don't even get me started on businessmen. One only has to look at the shenanigans of Washington DC to see the problems there.

It just sounds like you have some issues and have a problem with law enforcement. I too was once like you. I got a speeding ticket. I hated cops for it. I got muffler tickets. Hated cops. Now I kinda realize it really slowed me down. The guy was deadpan didn't buy my excuses and simply gave me the summons. Proffessional. I said he was an a-hole afterward. It happens, no one likes to get "sent to the principals office." Most don't see the hard work done behind the scenes making more serious arrests. Why? cause your average citizen has no dealings with those types of people anyway unless it's as a victim.

If you're going to blame a traffic cop place blame where it's due. One the legislators standing behind them getting on their bosses to write more tickets. On the grants that the legislators fund to write tickets ect. For the most part cops don't really care to write a lot of tickets just for their jollys. It's pressure from people you vote into office. Those grants and that pressure is put on there because of accidents.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
rotfl

yup Yamanator... you got me all figured out... everything you said about me was 100% true, especially since I was out of the house when Mom remarried. you're so perceptive! you must be a trained observer, like a cop. do you work in the mall perhaps? rotfl

I'll end my side of the debate with this - I'm wrong, you're right, and my mistrust, along with 95% of the public, is completely unwarranted.

the individual cop on the street, with their nasty attitudes, offensive mannerisms and verbiage, and piss poor work ethic is completely awesome. :rolleyes: you are right.

enjoy your day, and thank you for making me see the error of my ways.:bow:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just like rattlesnakes you give them a wide berth and limit any interaction. Always know that there is nothing to be gained by exposure to them, talking to them, trying to figure them out, etc. You don't have to hate snakes to know that they are not good for your health. Appreciate their purpose and avoid them like any other negative if you can. If for some reason you must be exposed to them, STFU, treat them with false respect, say yes sir, no sir, and get away from them as soon as you can - did I mention STFU?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've been pulled over five times in my lifetime for moving violations. That's over 24 years of driving and I have simply followed the basic rules. Roll down windows, turn radio and car off, hands on steering wheel & being polite. All five times the cops were polite and fairly quick. One let me go with a warning (black motorcycle cop), one was very quick to get things done since I told him I was running late for my test (during college) and the last one, in the Lotus, I chatted with one officer while the other one wrote me a speeding ticket. I would not argue, I know I f...d up and just paid it. The previous one stopped me on the way to Vegas, I know I was doing close to 100 and he wrote me in for doing 89, just 1 below wreckless driving (heeuw). Again I followed the rules, otherwise he could have easily nailed me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
rotfl

yup Yamanator... you got me all figured out... everything you said about me was 100% true, especially since I was out of the house when Mom remarried. you're so perceptive! you must be a trained observer, like a cop. do you work in the mall perhaps? rotfl

I'll end my side of the debate with this - I'm wrong, you're right, and my mistrust, along with 95% of the public, is completely unwarranted.

the individual cop on the street, with their nasty attitudes, offensive mannerisms and verbiage, and piss poor work ethic is completely awesome. :rolleyes: you are right.

enjoy your day, and thank you for making me see the error of my ways.:bow:
Hey man, you made it personal. I didn't even quote you in my initial post and you jumped all over me. I just said that "generally" those who have a lot of contact with Police deserve it. You mentioned your personal stuff and took what I said as an attack on you, even though I didn't even mention you or reference you...

I'm sure you're a great guy and if I saw you out I'd buy you a beer and talk Lotus. I just feel very strongly about this and it's obvious that you feel strongly about it from the other side. Doesn't mean that I would discount what you say in other threads.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yeah - and I drive pretty much as you described.

I ignore them. No sense in validating their behavior.

They've pulled up on my ass trying to incite a reaction, swerved into my lane, and some other colorful bull****...

I am not alone in my disdain for LE representatives and their mistreatment of those who they claim to protect and serve.

For the most part, traffic and patrol is a sh!tty job. I don't know of any cop that wakes up in the morning and says "OH BOY, I can't WAIT to go pull someone over to potentially get an arrest and make money for the county! And if there's an accident, I get to scoop up brains off the highway. And maybe if we're lucky, someone will shoot at us later! WHOO HOO!" Not my idea of a great job.

The best cops I know are using their current position in LE as a springboard into whatever other area of LE they are interested in. A lot of the others can't get out of it, and wind up with PTSD from the horrible situations they're placed in.
Looks like I am going to get sucked into this thread. Yes, I'm in law enforcement. I spent a few years on the street to springboard into federal law enforcement just like you said in your quote. As a young officer in my early 20's I marginally enjoyed running traffic, only because I was hoping for a vehicle carrying a load of dope or some other glamorous charge. What I didn't think about while I was young and indestructible was the fact that I could walk up to any car and not come home to my wife and (at the time) infant daughter because the person in the car was wanted for something I had no indication of or some drunk driver hit me while I was talking to the person on the side of the road. What I enjoyed even less was encountering someone with a chip on their shoulder because my own generation was taught to distrust law enforcement for some reason. My how things have changed following 9/11 where everyone waved to the police and thanked them for putting their lives on the line.

Think about this....law enforcement is a type "A" personality profession. Cars such as the Elise are also enjoyed by the type "A" personality. Did you stop and think they were admiring your car?

I will tell you this, I NEVER, EVER wrote a ticket to someone that was respectful and honest to me during the traffic stop (unless they had warrants). If I walked up to the car and the person greeted me and waited for me to ask them why I stopped them and they responded with some embarrassment that they were rocking out to the radio, just had a fight with their spouse or just wasn't paying attention to their speed and it got away from them and they were sorry, I had no desire to write them. I brought it to their attention and let them go. Believe me, that was usually the exception, not the rule.

Do me a favor and check your own attitude and behavior before painting an entire noble profession with a broad stroke.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts