The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an appointment on June 12 for a corner balance and alignment on my Exige S. My first HPDE track day is June 16. All the settings are stock except that the suspension was lowered a bit less than 1/2" prior to delivery. I have the track pack, and 245s on 8" wheels in the rear, stock 205s on 7" in the front. Although I've never experienced it yet, it looks like the larger rears would rub the whell well rims on hard cornering at the track. I'm not too overly concerned that this adjustment might not be optimal, and am willing to get it redone later. Not my daily driver, never drive in the rain, and for most spirited driving I carve the canyons in LA on weekends. I don't want something too aggressive and unpleasant on the street, but want something that is a good balance between street and track.

For those of you that are familiar with SoCal, Darrin at West End in Gardenia is doing the work and I understand he has done quite a few Elise and Exiges.

Anything I should be aware of before going in? Any advice? I'm not a gearhead, but I can pass on any recommendations to the shop.

Thanks for any advice in advance! :D
-dan

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Take all the camber shims out at all four corners, unless the results are wildly different left-to-right in which case put in the minimum number of shims required to get both sides reasonably close.

Set front ride height 3 or 4 mm lower than rear ride height.

Set front toe to 0 or 1/8 total out.

Set rear toe to 3/16 total in.

Going from memory here, but that's what I like.

xtn

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
hey dan, do your front tires vibrate even more now with the new setup at 85-90mph? Since i lowered my car, it shakes like crazy. I'll have to get it aligned like you anyway.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Take all the camber shims out at all four corners...

xtn
That will probably give you too much camber in the rear, and not enough in the front. My suggestion is to mill the steering arms so you can get all the front camber you want. If you don't do this, be sure to remove the ABS bracket/shim as well.

If you search, you'll find lots of recommendations for alignment specs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
974 Posts
LBC111,

Let me know how your experience with West End goes. I was just reading about Darrin yesterday on one of the mr2 boards. He is supposed to be very skilled and experienced.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
That will probably give you too much camber in the rear, and not enough in the front. My suggestion is to mill the steering arms so you can get all the front camber you want. If you don't do this, be sure to remove the ABS bracket/shim as well.

If you search, you'll find lots of recommendations for alignment specs.

Good luck!
+1. He's going to want to keep some shims in the rear, most likely.

What suspension are you running? I have 245 rears, and as low as my car is (read: LOW) I've never had any rubbing. You should probably be more concerned about the 205's rubbing through your '07 headlight assemblies. :shrug:

I'm running the 195, stock front a048's. The 245's are MH compound, and work very nicely with the stock LTS compound once up to temp on the track.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Why do you guys think pulling all the rear shims could possibly be too much camber? I pulled them all and the best I could get was just under -2 deg.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey dan, do your front tires vibrate even more now with the new setup at 85-90mph? Since i lowered my car, it shakes like crazy. I'll have to get it aligned like you anyway.
Hey Ara... No vibration at all after I switched from the stock wheels to the Volks. I kept the same tires, so I think it really was the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1. He's going to want to keep some shims in the rear, most likely.

What suspension are you running? I have 245 rears, and as low as my car is (read: LOW) I've never had any rubbing. You should probably be more concerned about the 205's rubbing through your '07 headlight assemblies. :shrug:

I'm running the 195, stock front a048's. The 245's are MH compound, and work very nicely with the stock LTS compound once up to temp on the track.
Hey Alan... The 205s in front are stock on the 07 Exige. I went with a 7" wheel width in the front but then decided to keep the tires since the tread was fine and the wheel is ok with that fitment - no rubbing in front, and I assume I would still be ok with 225s - from what I hear anyway.

As far as the rears, although they have never rubbed yet, I am concerned with hard cornering at the track. I'm thinking with more camber in the rear, I might just clear the rim of the wheel well (or whatever it's called!).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take all the camber shims out at all four corners, unless the results are wildly different left-to-right in which case put in the minimum number of shims required to get both sides reasonably close.

Set front ride height 3 or 4 mm lower than rear ride height.

Set front toe to 0 or 1/8 total out.

Set rear toe to 3/16 total in.

Going from memory here, but that's what I like.

xtn
Thanks xtn!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Have one experience with Darin and I wont be returning but most people seem to like him so you should be good. My alignment settings are -1.7 front camber and 0 front toe. -2.3 rear camber and -1/32 total rear toe. Currently non adjustable suspension so thats about all that can be set.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'm sitting here in my car which is on a Hunter alignment rack in Indy.

For some reason my rear camber was at -2.6 and -3.4.

What's really strange is that my left rear tire is corded on the inside, while the right rear (more camber) is fine.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually after we moved the car a bit the rear camber settled to -2.8 on each side, which is fine.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
mind if i ask how much it cost with West End to Corner balance and Align?

I just had Ohlnis DA put on and need to do this...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Darrin did mine as well, he set alignment, ride height and corner balanced the car

will be doing camber/toe adjustments soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts