The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what a corner balance and ride height cost on average. Yes i know each place is different but are we talking like 200 or 500 etc. Ive never had a true ride height and corner balance done, to those who have had it done is it a huge difference? Im sure the answer is yes but i need a little convincing to spend the money:D. Im on nitron singles

Thanks

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I guess it depends how far off your corners are if it is worth it or if you would notice a difference.

An easy baseline is to go to your bulk gravel/dirt supplier and weight the entire car and then just the front, back, and then each corner. If the sum of the corners comes close to the sum of the entire car, you can be fairly confident that you have reliable numbers with which to think about. This can be hard to get to if the scales are raised and not on a fairly level surface so check around.
From that you can decide if you want to fool with your corner weights.

As far as the ride height, you should be able to measure that fairly close on your garage floor. I have yet to hear anyone here talk about settling your car before measuring it. but you'll want to do this to get reliable heights.
That means that you start by taking it for a drive on a fairly warm day and take corners to warm up the shocks so they respond. Pull straight into the garage.
With or without ballast in the seat (ballast and fuel load also comes into play for corner weights, fuel in Elises is somewhat evenly distributed side to side) bounce the front and back up and down and allow to settle. Measure. Repeat. Measure. Repeat. Measure. Repeat. I suggest that you take the car out at least twice and measure at least 3 times each session to see if you are getting consistent data.

Corner weights side to side are more important than even heights side-to-side. AND sway bars transfer load so you will need to disconnect it prior to doing this!

Now you can at least make some decisions.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have yet to hear anyone here talk about settling your car before measuring it. but you'll want to do this to get reliable heights.
This is a good point... every time you unload the suspension (i.e. to take off a wheel and adjust a spring perch) you have to resettle the car by bouncing each corner. Start vigorously, then bounce it more lightly, and you'll get more consistent weight measurements.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
There is no set cost of corner balance that I know of, its shop time. Meaning however long it takes them to balance the car, multiply that by the shop rate and thats your price.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have an appointment in a couple weeks to have it done. They quoted me $150 (they are a BMW race shop that has been around forever). I'm also on Nitron singles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts