The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend with a 1999 Esprit and wondering what is the correct color and texture for the rocker covers and intake. Pictures i have seen look more orange then red, this one looks like someone has painted them in the past and are more red in color. The finish also appears to have been textured in places and someone sanded it down in spots.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
If you find the exact match let me know because I have to do do mine too. In the past for small touch up on nicks I have used Mopar orange which is close but not an exact match. The crinkle is another matter. You might have to go 2 stage painting and get the crinkle in another color than re-paint in a close match in orange. You can take the cover to a paint shop and have them scan it and then have them load the paint it into spray cans if you do not have a HVLP gun and compressor or do not know how to mix reducer for the ambient conditions. I think most places have like a 3 spray can min for maybe $17 each??? Its been a while since I did custom loaded spray cans and the prices might have gone up. I used to get paint loaded in cans to touch up the rock chips that pepper the lower front and bumper. Also prices might be different in your area but it could not be that much different. Mopar orange is cheap and off the rack. If you do find a good source for the exact paint make sure to let us know cause a lot of us could use that info.

·
Super Moderator
4,181 Posts
My 88 Esprit engine pictures also look more orange than the redder tones in real life. And that is using both a Nikon point and shoot and a Canon DSLR with standard sRGB color models (flash off, etc.).

So I definitely would try and find a trusted published figure for the color code; would not try matching to an unknown source photo.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
What is curious of this paint is that we have had numerous discussions of this paint on various list and forums going back over 14 years. Am I going senile or what but I can't remember an instance where the paint code or whose paint it is was ever posted. If it was ever posted I missed it. So if anyone knows post the info. As in the past whenever I need a color match be it leather, faded or unknown paint I always got an actual sample or paint chip and sent it off to be scanned. So I have my orange paint peeling on my chargecooler and valve covers and need to repaint so if I can't find the color code. I'm just going to stick my chargecooler into the color scanner at the auto paint store and have them mix me up a batch. The other options is to go Sport 300 gray or as the Brit's call it grey or to use a similar color close to the exterior of the car with matching or accenting hoses. But I have more important stuff like getting my engine parts in order. But you guys keep me in mind if you find the color code info.

Thanks,
Cal H

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
The paint type was posted.

VHT SP204 red

Amazon.com: VHT SP204 Wrinkle Plus Coating Red Can - 11 oz.: Automotive

Trouble is, it is not very robust, no matter what the name of the paint is.

Finish aside, folks have had good matching luck with a coat of Chevy Orange engine paint, then just a "dusting" of Mopar Red engine paint.

Powder coating is much longer lasting, but you cannot get it in crinkle, or for that matter, low-gloss like the VHT. The close match on color is powder # 2001, this is what I had mine done in last year, $250 well spent for professional coating of all the red pieces.

I'll post pics tonight, but as Eddie says, you shouldn't judge color match by Internet photos. (Isn't that why the ladies put on their makeup with different color lighting???) rotfl

·
Registered
480 Posts
I used chevy orange VHT paint. Old wrinkle color was like a plymouth or packard color that has since gone away from what I remember. Some use the VHT red wrinkle, and then paint the chevy orange over that. I did not go wrinkle, so would be easier to clean.

Brian

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
I hear an echo in here Atwell!

Brian
Yeah, I type slow (one finger at a time). I use the other hand to hold on so I don't fall off my chair. :panic:

:rolleyes:

Signed,

"Chopsticks Maestro" :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Of the people that used the paint do you know what was the process used? Did the people use just primer and spray? Or did they go to metal, use adhesion promoter, then self etch primer, followed with wrinkle and 200+ degree bake? Or any other procedure?

Powder coating currently does have different finishes including wrinkle and hammer tone at no addition charge other than gloss. It is very similar to the type used in some aluminum outdoor furniture.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
MidlifeZ you do the chargercooler too? Just wondering if it can withstand the 400 degree bake for powder coating
Not my Lotus. Had intake and valve covers done on a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo and also 1989 Porsche 928 S4, all held up very well. intake on the 928 did get pretty hot too

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Valve covers are a no brainer as they can handle the heat. But the inside of the chargecooler has very thin and delicate fins and piping. I am not sure how 400 degree heat of the powder coat kiln/oven would affect them as in cracking if they should move and or heave with heating and cooling of the process. I think the case would be ok. It would just be awful to fill up the chargecooler on assembly and have coolant going all over the inside of the intake plenum or dripping back to the turbo. Or going through the expense of powder coating and doing a leak test only to find out the insides are messed up and end up with a pretty looking chargecooler door stop.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The paint type was posted.

Trouble is, it is not very robust, no matter what the name of the paint is.
Yes people have listed various paints and codes but they were not the OEM paint or code so that it is still unknown. I think I might still have a little of the Mopar orange paint not available anymore but even that was not an exact match, very close but not exact and not enough left to coat much of anything.

The VHT has a cure time of 20 min at 200 degrees. Unless it was cured it did not stick well. They expected the engine temps to cure the paint on items such as valve covers which is fine but the chargecooler which if working properly is very cool to the touch and perhaps the intake plenum would not cure because of low temps so if it does not stick and flake off it it would be there. So if I used this product I would probably be inclined to stick in it in my oven for the required 20 min @200F. Which I risk death if my wife caught me heating up an automotive part in her oven and smelling up the home LOL. I must do this in stealth when she is away.

Cal H

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes people have listed various paints and codes but they were not the OEM paint or code so that it is still unknown. I think I might still have a little of the Mopar orange paint not available anymore but even that was not an exact match, very close but not exact and not enough left to coat much of anything.

The VHT has a cure time of 20 min at 200 degrees. Unless it was cured it did not stick well. They expected the engine temps to cure the paint on items such as valve covers which is fine but the chargecooler which if working properly is very cool to the touch would not cure because of low temps so if it does not stick and flake off it it would be there. So if I used this product I would probably be inclined to stick in it in my oven for the required 20 min @200F. Which I risk death if my wife caught me heating up an automotive part in her oven and smelling up the home LOL. I must do this in stealth when she is away.

Cal H
and after that cook some roast or something and wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overcook it so the burning smell covers up the paint smell... then say "Damnit sweetheart, I tried to make you a nice dinner and...."

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Powder coating currently does have different finishes including wrinkle and hammer tone at no addition charge other than gloss.
I interviewed 4 shops that did powdercoating. Some were automotive, hot rod and resto shops, some motorcycle, one telescope (!) business.

They all told me that the smooth, glossy coating was "it" with PC. :shrug:

++++++++++++

So, for your perusal, is the shiny PC job I accepted. I don't think it looks so bad. Yeah, the flash makes it look more orange than natural light...

PS, Wouldn't the outside of a chargecooler be about the same temp as an engine?

++++++++++++

Part of what you pay for with PC jobs is the prep. A good shop will mask off any threaded holes or the bolts won't fit. Bare aluminum areas must be masked as well, unless you want to buff the powder off yourself (I did that on the naked aluminum ribs).

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
The VHT has a cure time of 20 min at 200 degrees. Unless it was cured it did not stick well. They expected the engine temps to cure the paint on items such as valve covers

Cal H
Funny, how the valve covers on my car were the "first to go".

Years ago, I painted them with the Chevy/Mopar engine colors as I mentioned (yes, primer then paint). They looked OK (again, the color was close but the texture was different). The paint held up well for ~ 10 years.

When I had the engine out, I got some bad advice about using Gasket Remover...that stuff ruined the paint on several of my remaining red bits. :sad:

Which is why I did the powder coating during my engine refresh.

:up:

·
Cal H
982 Posts
So, for your perusal, is the shiny PC job I accepted. I don't think it looks so bad. Yeah, the flash makes it look more orange than natural light...

PS, Wouldn't the outside of a chargecooler be about the same temp as an engine?
I think shiny is ok, Im just used to matte or texture in the engine bay. On other items such a electronics and data rack matte and texture PC is used to mask finger print and smudges that show well with glossy. So a lot of the pics that MidlifeZ has shown wrink, pebble and other texture PC is fairly common.

About the chargecooler
It is common knowledge among most SE and later 4cyl owners to use a simple test to determine if the chargecooler pump is operating correctly. It is to take a robust drive in a fully warmed up Esprit using WOT and engaging full boost or as much boost as possible. Then pull over and with the engine still idling, immediately open the the engine compartment, then touch the top of the chargecooler with the palm of your hand. A proper operating chargecooler should feel like cold metal. If it feels lukewarm or warmer to the touch than most likely your pump impeller has broken vanes provided you did not wait too long after pulling over to allow the chargecooler to heat soak as the mechanical pump is dependent on engine speed for coolant circulation speed. The running joke was if you palm had LOTUS CHARGECOOLER backwards on your palm then the pump was definitely broken. So even a broken chargecooler will not be as hot as the valve cover (it won't be as hot as a regular radiator as you can touch the chargecooler box). but with a warm chargecooler you will not sustain full boost.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts