The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the GT40s, RSs and Cosworths there was only one fast Ford - the Lotus Cortina. Richard Heseltine finds out what makes it so special...

PH Heroes: Lotus Cortina

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
Nice find! Thanks

This article makes me pine for the old homologation specials. Not just from Ford..

Being required to make a certain number of units for the civilian market created many opportunities for drivers and collectors. Who remembers that the original GT40 was required to carry a spare tire because, it was, after all, a "street car"? :eek: :huh:

Atwell Haines
Owned a Mk2 Cortina GT...our first new car.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The Cortina is a Lotus I have wanted for some time. They are valued very highly in Europe, somewhat less so in North America. I would seriously consider buying one if I saw one in original specification and very good condition for sale in this country.

I love the fact that it can hold four adults comfortably and has a serious racing pedigree.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder who owns the Cortina Jim Clark drove to the touring car championship or if it even still exists...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I wonder who owns the Cortina Jim Clark drove to the touring car championship or if it even still exists...
Here is a reference from a NYT article:

Last December, 40 years after Clark’s death, the Cortina he drove in 1965 sold for $281,808 at the Bonhams Olympia Auction — twice the published estimate.

To read the entire article (which is general about the Cortina, rather than about the auctioned car) go here:

Serious Cash for a Cortina - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts