The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did a search.

I know how to do the bleed the old fashion way: 2 man job, 1 man pumping the break, other open/close, etc...

Mine never really felt right, I changed the pads, still not so good feel. I decided I would consider having the dealer do it. I am pretty busy right now and would love to NOT have to do one extra thing right now.

So I called our friends at Criswell. Told them I need to use ATE Super Blue and will bring it with me.

They quoted me $98 for the brakes and $98 for the clutch. :crazyeyes

Sorry, I think that is a crock of shnikies! :mad:

It takes no time at all to do the brakes and you can do it without even taking the frikkin wheels off if you wanted to. The clutch is a little more difficult... I have no clue where the bleeder is in the first place, but am sure I could find it and do it too just as easy.

What do you pay at the dealer? Any dealers out there -poke- want to chime in on what this is supposed to cost? My guess is bleading the brakes would include the clutch since the resevuer is one and the same, no?

I am pretty steemed up about this, so I would LOVE for a different dealer to tell me how this works in the real world, or even some others to let me know what they paid to have it done.

Thanks! :nanner2:
Dave

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Does sound a bit steep, but FYI:

- You have to take the back wheels off (fronts can be left in place)
- You have to take the diffuser and engine tray off to do the clutch

My guess is that most of the cost is in the labor to access the clutch bleed nipple.

Do it yourself - takes me about 2 hours, start to finish.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You absolutely do not need to remove the wheels to do the brakes.

Agree about the clutch, what a pain. Realy though? Diffuser too? Yuck!

I may call again and see what the cost would be if I removed the tray and diffuser for them. I think I would pay $100 for the bleed job... I still think $100 is steep, but it would save me the time, and if my brakes still felt quirky, I could tell them that something is wrong with them and it needs to be fixed on warrenty.

Thanks for the reply, I am feeling better... a little...

Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
TWASZAK1 & REGGIEM,

Does that include pads and fluid or just the flush.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

I'm feeling even better about it all now.

Dave

EDIT: I see that TWASZAK1 said including fluid. Obviosly not pads, those things are spendy!

OK, I will try to haggle with Marty at Criswell and see if I can get them down a little. Doubt they will, but it is certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You have an "Exotic" car now and therefore dealerships have a license to screw you at will!! Bottom line. :mad:
Learn to fix/service simple things by yourself. Recently, I got a $100 quote for ECU dump from Star Motors at Houston, who initially had no idea what a ECU dump was. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
You absolutely do not need to remove the wheels to do the brakes.
You do if you think you have any air in the system up front. The bleed nipple on the front caliper is not at the high point of the system so a thorough job involves taking the caliper off and rotating it to move the bubbles through the crossover tube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TWASZAK1 & REGGIEM,

Does that include pads and fluid or just the flush.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

I'm feeling even better about it all now.

Dave

EDIT: I see that TWASZAK1 said including fluid. Obviosly not pads, those things are spendy!

OK, I will try to haggle with Marty at Criswell and see if I can get them down a little. Doubt they will, but it is certainly worth a try.

Fluid and flush from Lotus of Durham.

I suppose it would be less if you brought your own fluid (I would hope).

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
get a pump it up bottle brake bleeder like Tim had posted - i got one, liek 60-80 bucks and you can do it all in under 2 hours.

if oyu got air in the caliper or ABS though - that might be a bit of a trick - as per andy - or bleed - drive and fire the abs a bunch, bleed again.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
not to thread jack, but what would you pay for install of SS lines and brake fluid? how long would this take?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You have an "Exotic" car now and therefore dealerships have a license to screw you at will!! Bottom line. :mad:
statements like this bother me. the fact isa dealer is a large institution with overhead costs. we charge 65 dollars for an ECU dump. the computer we use to do it is not cheap and i (the tech) need to get paid for my time, the service writer needs to get paid for his time, the parts guy needs to get paid for his time.....i think you see where this is going. we charge 1.5 hours to do a brake and clutch flush at $130.00 an hour, which comes to $195.00 so you are acctually getting the fluid for $5. Before i worked for Lotus i was a VW tech.....guess what we charged 1.5 hours to do a flush there too, and nope, we were not working on exotics. i just think it is unfair to make a blanket statement like that without all of the facts being on the table.
I am sure several people will disagree with what i have said, but i just needed to put my 2 cents out there.

thanks,
T.J.
Lotus Technician
FVMC

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
diffuser doesn't have to come off.
........if you use a lift.......have Jim's jack helper.........or your body is only 1 inch thick.

If not, how would you jack the car up to get under it?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not to thread jack, but what would you pay for install of SS lines and brake fluid? how long would this take?
No worries.

I hear in order to do the brake lines, you need to remove the front clam.

Could be rumor, could be real, I dunno. I have never really looked.

If it is true, I think Lotus calls pulling the front clam alone a 2 hour job.

I need to do that too, but will most likely do it myself when I get the time and money together.

Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T.J.
Lotus Technician
FVMC
Thanks for your time to clear all of this up for us. Truly is appreciated. :wave:

I think if more techs/dealers took the time to explain what is happening, there would be less frustrated people (not zero, but certainly less).

Dave

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
we charge 1.5 hours to do a brake and clutch flush at $130.00 an hour, which comes to $195.00 so you are acctually getting the fluid for $5. Before i worked for Lotus i was a VW tech.....guess what we charged 1.5 hours to do a flush there too, and nope, we were not working on exotics.
I think, maybe, the comment wasn't directed at the 1.5 hours but the shop rate :shrug:. I doubt that the VW rate was $130/hr. I think that may be where the angst was coming from...

At a local dealer that I am intimately familiar with, they have 2 separate shop rates. One for their "exotic" car (Lexus) and a lesser one for their "normal" cars (Mitsubishi). They have a similar rate as the Mitsubishi cars for anything else that they work on. Same techs are working on all of the cars and they get paid differently based on which type of car they are servicing. Guess which cars the techs prefer to work on... Guess which ones they take better care of to make sure those customers return regularly... That alone is probably worth the difference in the rate for the Lexus owners. Personally, I think the rate should be the same for each car (and don't mind if it is the higher of the two as the Mitsu rate is slightly below average for this town) and the techs should get paid based on their work and not the type of vehicle.

But I overpay my nurse just because she deserves it so what do I know :D.

And T.J. as soon as I open my own shop somewhere I will "show you the money." ;).

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Having bled the clutch and brakes several times on my Elise, let me add a few observations:

1. To bleed the clutch cylinder, the Diffuser doesn't have to come off, but the Undertray Assembly DOES have to come off. That is the piece in front of the diffuser with the 3 NACA ducts in it.

2. You can bleed all four calipers WITHOUT removing the wheels. If you align the wheels properly so you can reach through the spokes, you can get a wrench on the bleed nipple.

3. If there is air in the caliper, it's best to remove the caliper, turn it upside down and remove trapped air. More trouble, but worth it.

4. SS Brake lines - on an Elise, no need to remove front clam. On Exige, front clam has to come off.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts