The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious if anyone is as OCD about their Lotus related receipts as I am? I don't have all of them, but I have a good portion. I'm making a spread sheet of the expenses I have. So far I'm at $60k for 5 years of ownership and 24k miles. With the cost of car that's $108k spent on my sweet lil' Elise. My list includes service, body work, insurance, extended warranty, audio, registration, mods , & attorney fees. And this is with all my hook ups/gifts in the industry. I'll keep ya'll posted if I find more receipts.

I'm scared to add up all my Apple receipts. My guess is $20k+ considering I always get the biggest screen laptop and have about 5 now, plus all the freakin' gadgets.

Breakdown - insurance paid for $40k in body work, 20k out of pocket for other items. I only have 1 year of my insurance payments & registration included so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This could be an interesting (and poss. v.scary) thread.
What have you included? Fuel? Damage Repair? Mods? Track days?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
does it include insurance-paid expense (such as bodywork)? If it is, to be able to get the true number, you must not include anything that are not out-of-your-pocket expense.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm curious if anyone is as OCD about their Lotus related receipts as I am? I don't have all of them, but I have a good portion. I'm making a spread sheet of the expenses I have. So far I'm at $39k for 5 years of ownership and 24k miles. With the cost of car that's $87k spent on my sweet lil' Elise. My list includes service, body work, insurance, extended warranty, audio, registration, mods, & attorney fees. And this is with all my hook ups/gifts in the industry. I'll keep ya'll posted if I find more receipts.

I'm scared to add up all my Apple receipts. My guess is $20k+ considering I always get the biggest screen laptop and have about 5 now, plus all the freakin' gadgets.
Yep, it definitely costs a little more, but I'll never go back to a Vette, or Windows! :D

·
Registered
992 Posts
agent xxx, u're like a dream customer! you buy extended warranties and biggest screens. i wish i had more clients like you! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I haven't kept my receipts in one place (I'm terrible at anything OCD), but I think I'm at about 10k after 3 yrs/17k miles. Almost all of it was spent on miscellaneous upgrades. If you put 44k into your car in the first 24k, I hope you either had a catastrophic accident (well, hope isn't the right word) that you repaired out of pocket, or that you have a 400 WHP monster. Lotupoda are dirt cheap to operate.

Edit: you included attorney fees. Ok, 11.5k

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OCD....yes....I have every gas receipt

Don't know how much I've spent on it but 4 years @ 60k miles so prolly a good chunk of change

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
well
70k for the car + shipping + tax + reg fees
~100 bucks for cleaning/paint care products
40 bucks for two oil changes
1200 bucks for a year of insurance(not up yet)
so around 71.5k :D

not including gas or interest or my IC

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm curious if anyone is as OCD about their Lotus related receipts as I am? I don't have all of them, but I have a good portion. I'm making a spread sheet of the expenses I have. So far I'm at $60k for 5 years of ownership and 24k miles. With the cost of car that's $108k spent on my sweet lil' Elise. My list includes service, body work, insurance, extended warranty, audio, registration, mods , & attorney fees. And this is with all my hook ups/gifts in the industry. I'll keep ya'll posted if I find more receipts.

Breakdown - insurance paid for $40k in body work, 20k out of pocket for other items. I only have 1 year of my insurance payments & registration included so far.
I don't think any costs related to a crash should be included in a cost of ownership calculation. This is an extrordinary item and hopefully one that few other Elise owners experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Three years just up but I don't keep receipts at all. Memory though gives A$64k purchase price followed by A$1.5k shipping across country, A$500 rego so total A$66k.

Expenses:
service 1 = $450
service 2 = $2400 - included new front discs and pads plus cam belt change (rover engine)
service 3 = $450
tyres/align = $1750
Insurance = $1k/pa
Registration = $500/pa
Total (excl fuel) = A$9550

Very cost effective :)

Accident damage totalling A$7.5k paid for by those who inflicted it!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Never mind the cost, what about the value!rotfl

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not including the cost of the car, I have spent ~$7,000 over 20 months of ownership.

That includes insurance, fuel, service, tires, oil, parts and repairs.

This has been a MUCH more dependable and easy to maintain car than I ever expected. I've pretty much driven it without a hitch since day 1 (minus a throttle body issue that was fixed under warranty).

·
Registered
274 Posts
"I've probably spent $3000 in a 12 month period, including insurance, gas and maintenance."
==========================================================

well, these types of things are misleading. you have to buy insurance, gas, oil changes, etc, for any vehicle you have. and you dont HAVE to do all kinds of mods.

i'd be more interested in finding out how much Elise owners ABSOLUTELY HAD to put in their car just to keep it running over the time of ownership.

Mike

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Mike, he absolutely had to put gas in his car to keep it running over the time of ownership. :)

Ok... including fuel and attorney fees for the two tickets I've had (one in NYC, one in Toronto, guess which was the lion's share), I'm at 14k for 3 years/17k miles (mostly northeastern US). Based on what I'm seeing, I'm actually toward the high end for an Elise that hasn't had serious engine mods. I bet if we continue down this path we will find that the average is about 3k a year, maybe 4.

In my experience, the costs Sorinne is claiming are typical for a Ferrari 360. Maybe even above average.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
"I've probably spent $3000 in a 12 month period, including insurance, gas and maintenance."
==========================================================

well, these types of things are misleading. you have to buy insurance, gas, oil changes, etc, for any vehicle you have. and you dont HAVE to do all kinds of mods.

i'd be more interested in finding out how much Elise owners ABSOLUTELY HAD to put in their car just to keep it running over the time of ownership.

Mike
If you look at my costs you can strip out the belt service and the brake discs removing $1800 (as the Toyota engined Elise has timing chain vs belt; and the discs were replaced at half life due to faulty info on minimum service thickness), plus I didn't have to replace my tyres but wanted to get stickier rubber - take out another $1700. This leaves "must do" costs at ~$2k per year (annual service/rego/insurance).

If you service the vehicle yourself the $500/yr drops to consumables only.

But that would be a base cost - you have to factor in contingency to that.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ur crazy X! BTW, how much does a wheel alignment cost? I need one in SF!
Hook me up, kid! :)
I just spent $1300 for 4 new tires and alignment, but that was a discount.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I just spent $1300 for 4 new tires and alignment, but that was a discount.
I don't think you're getting a very good discount. -poke-

A set of R888's comes in about $800 a set. Don't think you'll find a much better tire. Did they gold plate the steering rack with that alignment?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts