The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an Exige track car for NASA club racing next summer, hoping to run 20-30 hours per season. Anyone out there have a ball park estimate of annual cost?

·
Registered
846 Posts
As a starting point, I spend about $600 for a local HPDE event on
Fuel, pro-rated consumables and track fees.

Guys doing PRO3 up here (a BMW spec series) have told me a full weekend runs then 4-5K.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I ran my 2-11 in 2013. Figure about 600 an event +/- and add a bit for Hotels and food. Your tire budget will depend on what you run and how much you get out of them.
Keep a few grand on the side for incidentals. Because of your grouping, most likely ST-2, you'll be mixing it up with a lot of German metal. In the Texas group they liked to play demolition derby.
In order to fill run groups we were bunched under the Blitz group which had St-1/2/3 and ST-U, All the GS crowd, Spec 944, and a smattering of other miscellaneous types. Other than a few Vettes all the rest were metal bodied beasties with a few who were willing to push you out of the way if need be.
Hopefully your area groups play nicer.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I ran my 2-11 in 2013. Figure about 600 an event +/- and add a bit for Hotels and food. Your tire budget will depend on what you run and how much you get out of them.
Keep a few grand on the side for incidentals. Because of your grouping, most likely ST-2, you'll be mixing it up with a lot of German metal. In the Texas group they liked to play demolition derby.
In order to fill run groups we were bunched under the Blitz group which had St-1/2/3 and ST-U, All the GS crowd, Spec 944, and a smattering of other miscellaneous types. Other than a few Vettes all the rest were metal bodied beasties with a few who were willing to push you out of the way if need be.
Hopefully your area groups play nicer.
600 per event?!?! If an event is per weekend, then:bow:

I usually go through 2 sets of tires per weekend. At 250/tire, that's 2,000 over the weekend. The heavy cars go through 3-4 sets, so I consider 2 not bad :eek:

Gas is 7$/gallon. 30 minute heats are 5 gallons anyway. 4 heats a day. 8 heats/weekend. So ~300 in gas per weekend. or about 8-10 gallons per hour.

refresh motor in the off season. That's 2-8,000. Refresh tranny in off season, 0-4,000. Wide gap depends on how tired parts got during the season.

Fix stuff that breaks over the season: that will vary a lot, but certainly have funds available for that.

Assuming we're not counting rooming and entry fees, since that's a K across all...

The first year or two, is especially expensive as you prep the car for competition. The 211 is much closer to being ready for the track than an Elise/Exige. Stripping the HVAC, interior extras, hardening the suspension, adding real aero, correctly caging the "Elige", fixing fuel/oil starve issues, etc all add up to very significant dollars- espeically if ou're not doing the work yourself...

-Phil

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dang! it be expensive in your neck of the woods, sounds like california pricing. I get my gas at the local station instead of the track where it costs nearly twice as much. I carry 2 5's and a 15 which usually lasts the whole weekend. And yes I am talking a three day event. Premium here runs around 3.50 - 3.60/gal. Test and tune on Friday and racing on Sat and Sun.
I did not mention setting the car up as I assumed that was already done. If not, then as you say, start adding.
Tires, I can go 2 or 3 weekends on the Hankooks and they hold up really well. Much cheaper than the Yoko's and the only tire within my budget for a season.
Nasa entry fees in texas run between 350 to 450 if you include the T&T day.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
There are obviously some differences in our cars, but I tried to milk tires like that but with everyone else running stickers each day, I had to follow suit to stay in the game. I've developed the car a fair bit more over the past year while staying in the same class.If my skills do the same, I may be able to stay where I need to be past 5 heat cycles... Currently, that's where my tires become hand downs...

I loved the kooks for what they are, but with hoosier paying tires, I found it worth it to switch over to the dark side. Many are switching over to BFG up here. I think NASA recognizes that they're a faster tires given the points applied to them...

I tried Goodyears and couldn't get them to work right on the car...

I digress...

Anyway, tires and off season are the expensive bits of this sport. We didn't mention pads and rotors, but they aren't too bad. Obviously they're going to last longer on a 211 than a 1900lb fat GT car like mine (full body Elise, cage, big tires, aero, coolers, 2 seats, and glass in the doors...)...

I always run race gas as I don't trust pump gas and I need the power to play in NASA's 1 class... So there's a couple hundred I spend, which you don't... a small piece of the pie though...

-Phil

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I believe we're running Yokohamas as the tire awards of choice down here. May be the Hossiers as well, don't know. I looked at the Hossiers but the size differential from spec was a bit more than the Kooks and the price was higher as well. Hence, Hankooks. At 825 a set +/- it was the way to go for this one man, low budget team.
Were you running in Time Trials, (TT) or one of the Sport Touring (ST) groups? What was your competition comprised of? For me it came from the other classes more so than my own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
600 per event?!?! If an event is per weekend, then:bow:

I usually go through 2 sets of tires per weekend. At 250/tire, that's 2,000 over the weekend. The heavy cars go through 3-4 sets, so I consider 2 not bad :eek:

Gas is 7$/gallon. 30 minute heats are 5 gallons anyway. 4 heats a day. 8 heats/weekend. So ~300 in gas per weekend. or about 8-10 gallons per hour.

refresh motor in the off season. That's 2-8,000. Refresh tranny in off season, 0-4,000. Wide gap depends on how tired parts got during the season.

Fix stuff that breaks over the season: that will vary a lot, but certainly have funds available for that.
Assuming we're not counting rooming and entry fees, since that's a K across all...

The first year or two, is especially expensive as you prep the car for competition. The 211 is much closer to being ready for the track than an Elise/Exige. Stripping the HVAC, interior extras, hardening the suspension, adding real aero, correctly caging the "Elige", fixing fuel/oil starve issues, etc all add up to very significant dollars- espeically if ou're not doing the work yourself...

-Phil
how many sets of pads & rotors do you use per year? what's the cost?

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I laughed when I saw this post asking what racing costs.... Not a mean laugh at the OP -- but just a gut chuckle about costs of doing this in general.

Nobody can really answer the question because it all depends.... My costs are nowhere near what someone else's costs are. I'm running a semi with two cars to the track -- usually running from Seattle to Northern California tracks -- that's 6.26 MPG and a 1500 mile round trip... Tires depend on what you're running and how hard you're running. Ditto on brakes... FUEL for these little cars is the cheapest part of all of it! My 590HP 3015 # Mustang uses about 5 to 7 gallons of 110 race fuel per 20 minute session at Thunderhill --- the Lotus uses 7 gallons in 3 20 minute sessions...

For me -- it's all the STUFF that you want to do to the car that costs the money.... Better this - better that... And then there's the wrecks - like when my son spun in T5 at Laguna -- and backed it into the tire wall -- that was 20 GRAND.... and if you're driving hard - and racing -- stuff like that is going to happen from time to time. It's just all part of the fun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Phil, what BFG's are they switching too? I'm guessing R1's? sizes? I run a 205/45/16 up front. I don't think its offered.

Have you run them?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
as a newb, (second track day yesterday)

I cheap out on just about everything as I am still very much a rook.

event itself reg cost is generally between 200-350 per day, (One or two day events) I also purchase track insurance which runs me about 180$ more
I use premium as my car is basically stock, and I have only run on street conti DWS tires. Plenty of warning and less risky for a newb as myself.
Brake fluid flush costs a few bucks if you do it yourself (~4$ per 12oz I use about 4 bottles 16-18$ because I am generous with the bleeding)

but like these guys, it can get way up there. I just am not at that level yet

·
Registered
502 Posts
as a newb, (second track day yesterday)

I cheap out on just about everything as I am still very much a rook.

event itself reg cost is generally between 200-350 per day, (One or two day events) I also purchase track insurance which runs me about 180$ more
I use premium as my car is basically stock, and I have only run on street conti DWS tires. Plenty of warning and less risky for a newb as myself.
Brake fluid flush costs a few bucks if you do it yourself (~4$ per 12oz I use about 4 bottles 16-18$ because I am generous with the bleeding)

but like these guys, it can get way up there. I just am not at that level yet
They are talking about racing and your talking about track days, there is a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts