The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have base suspension on an 06 elise and I consider replacing with a set of coilovers. Just wondering how many hours it normally takes at the dealer. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm about to do the same. Apparently, it is super easy to do and doesn't require any special tools. If you get shocks with external reservoirs, it might be tougher.

I'm replacing mine with LSS equipment.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It is super easy. I've had mine off and on three or four times (trying different heights). The only things that would make it more than an hour job would be corner weighting or alignment. These aren't needed IMHO if you're going from standard to LSS or vice-versa. If Ohlins or another similar shock is in your future, corner weighting and alignment adjustments should be done - again IMHO.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I just replaced the bushings with urethane "fulcrum" bushings.
Was a bitch of a job - but feels pretty good so far, and the alignment was unaffected by the bushings.
I had to take the front shocks to it and that was straight forward.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Is replacing a set of coilovers as simple as jacking up the car, unbolting the unit from the lower wishbone and top mount and then replace with new coilovers and torque the bolts to 45 NM? Should we use some blue threadlocker? Am I missing any steps? I know an alignment and corner weighting should be done afterward.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Is replacing a set of coilovers as simple as jacking up the car, unbolting the unit from the lower wishbone and top mount and then replace with new coilovers and torque the bolts to 45 NM? Should we use some blue threadlocker? Am I missing any steps? I know an alignment and corner weighting should be done afterward.
Thats about it..don't forget the beer ;)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I have base suspension on an 06 elise and I consider replacing with a set of coilovers.
Just for the record, the car has "coilovers" already. All Elise shock/springs are coilovers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just for the record, the car has "coilovers" already. All Elise shock/springs are coilovers.
I thought so, too. So which are different between the touring and the Sport (sorry, couldn't resist), the shocks or the springs or both? I've seen many posts about changing these, but which new shocks seem to be the best? I'd like something adjustable. And at what cost both for the purchase and the installation?

Hope I didn't kidnap this thread.

Steve

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I thought so, too. So which are different between the touring and the Sport (sorry, couldn't resist), the shocks or the springs or both?
:thwack: - You asked for it. ;)

The Base package and the Sport Pack both have Bilstien shocks, they are valved differently internally. They both have Eibach springs <spelling?>. The Sport Pack shock and spring combination is supposed to be around 10% stiffer. The majority of the difference is actually in the tires - the A048s have stiffer sidewalls along with more grip.

As for what is the best "upgrade" shocks? I don't know. I'm quite happy with my Base suspension and am quite aware that the car has more capability as it is than I'm capable of using. The result is that I don't really pay attention to the "upgrade suspension" threads. I know that there are the factory Track Pack shocks/springs, Ohins, Nitron, and several others, and each has their supporters. There are many threads in the Suspension section of the forum (this section) with lots of discussions... :shrug:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
As for what is the best "upgrade" shocks?
:thwack:

"Upgrade" is a subjective term. The only acceptable adjective is "after-market." Otherwise you have to allow the misuse of "touring" as acceptable slang.

xtn

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
While on this thread, how difficult is it to adjust the height on the LSS equipped suspension? The last time I had my car off the ground (full detail while getting new tires) I couldn't see any place where the brackets would move. I know it's not a threaded one, so I was expecting to see grooves where it could mount into. It would be nice not to have to crab it up my driveway every day.

Btw, any links with pics? A short search didn't show any, just all the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
While on this thread, how difficult is it to adjust the height on the LSS equipped suspension? The last time I had my car off the ground (full detail while getting new tires) I couldn't see any place where the brackets would move. I know it's not a threaded one, so I was expecting to see grooves where it could mount into. It would be nice not to have to crab it up my driveway every day.

Btw, any links with pics? A short search didn't show any, just all the aftermarket ones.
On the sport shocks, there are two grooves. They're hidden by the spring perch.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
:thwack:

"Upgrade" is a subjective term. The only acceptable adjective is "after-market."
Hence my use of quotes around "upgrade" - besides, the Sport Pack and Track Pack setup is not after-market... ;)

Otherwise you have to allow the misuse of "touring" as acceptable slang.
No, I never have to allow the misuse of "touring" as acceptable slang. Never. :no: :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If you took the sport dampers and put the touring springs on them, would you have a "sport touring" suspension?

;)
I can't tase you, but I can thwack you: :thwack: Actually twice: :thwack:

I forgot the :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts