The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
An honest, competent mechanic should charge you no more than 1-2 hours labor, so......$180 max.

I've never seen a car that is more simple and easy to work on than my Elise.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I jjust replaced the stock non LSS shocks on my car with the Sachs adjustable coil overs. Liked them so much that I now sell them.

This is the easiest car I have ever had to replace the shocks. Took 10 min per wheel.

The hard part is after you put on adjustable height shocks you should get the car's ride height set to 130mm and then have the car aligned and corner weighted.

Made a heck of a difference in my car. It handles like a completely different car.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Made a heck of a difference in my car. It handles like a completely different car.
I have the same setup....and it IS a completely different car. Before.....I thought i could find it's limits.....NOW... I'm not quite sure I could do that.... The first track day will be interesting.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
^ Do you mean this in a bad way?
Absolutely not..... it's a Formula One car now.... This is an amazing package ! It's shocking how good it handles now.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
kestrel,
go drive a formula car with any engine type in it.
FF, FC, etc............ you will quickly retract your statement.
the elise handles nicely( for a car with a roof), but its not even close to a 1000lb car where you sit a few inches off the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
kestrel,
the elise handles nicely( for a car with a roof), but its not even close to a 1000lb car where you sit a few inches off the ground.
I respectfully disagree. While a 1000 pound car with a design from the 60's may be different, it is not an F1 car or a modern racing car. While I have not driven a F1 car, I have driven modern race cars and I do see the similarity with the Elise. I have also extensivly driven high HP Caterhams which are very close to open wheel light cars.

Saying that I think what he means is that you have to "trust" the limits of the car and not "your senses" of lateral G force. Even in a single seater from a bygone error you still "feel" and drive to your feelings. You can "drive" a single seater FF or FC car.

With a modern car you have to trust the car that it will do what you want it to even if your "body" says...."hey...this is too fast".

That is the comparison I believe he means.

And I would like to give credit to Krestal that he told me about the Sachs shocks. I honestly did not believe him. But now I am a believer.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
kestrel,
Ok.... I forgot to add the :D... I havent driven a formula one car in a while ( :D ) ( joke ) but compared to the stock handling Elise it probably feels CLOSER to a formula one car ! ( :D )

·
Registered
223 Posts
An honest, competent mechanic should charge you no more than 1-2 hours labor, so......$180 max.

I've never seen a car that is more simple and easy to work on than my Elise.
I agree! But some shops will charge an hour of labor per shock!:eek:

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a convenient thread: I need a garage to install my Nitrons in the upcoming month. I know from other LT-ers that HRM charged 3hours and Princeton charged 4hours for installing Nitrons in the last months (excluding corner balancing etc.). So it looks like they took their time?

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
This is a convenient thread: I need a garage to install my Nitrons in the upcoming month. I know from other LT-ers that HRM charged 3hours and Princeton charged 4hours for installing Nitrons in the last months (excluding corner balancing etc.). So it looks like they took their time?
JUst replacing the shocks...and I had never done it before on an Elise took me 50 min and that included removing the tires.

Now that does not include setting the ride height.You have to remove the wheel and do that so I suspect that it will take longer if you have adjustable ride height shocks like the nitrons or the sachs.

I could see this taking 2 hours (maybe more) to replace the shocks and set the ride height without the corner balancing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts