The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i consider purchasing a 2008 Exige Cup Car, I am considering the cost of a rebuild and at what point on the hour meter (100 hours? other?).

Approximate answers will do...but how much is it typically for a Cup Car engine rebuild? How much and when does the transmission need to be rebuilt? Are there other service considerations outside of wear aprts like brakes, suspension?

Thanks in advance to all who help me with my questions. Brad

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Might have to be patient or ask Lotus directly, since the crowd that owns the Cup cars is very small.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think there are any internal engine differences on any of the toyota exiges/elises. Lotus buys them from pre-built from toyota and plugs them in.

Lotus adds better cooling and oiling systems to the engines of the cup cars.

The engine does have some weakness, but rather than decrease the time between rebuilds, they general destroy the engine. Search the forum for examples.

if something goes wrong the Toyota 2zz-ge is really cheap as engines go...

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
John Behe at Behe Performance in MD has done a lot of development and maintenance work for one of his customers with a Cup Car. Might want to touch base with him.

Behe Performance

·
Registered
723 Posts
John Behe at Behe Performance in MD has done a lot of development and maintenance work for one of his customers with a Cup Car. Might want to touch base with him.

Behe Performance
Not exactly; the development comes from his "associate" DMH Motorsports

Never-the-less, Behe is the place to go for the mid-Atlantic region.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I don't think there are any internal engine differences on any of the toyota exiges/elises. Lotus buys them from pre-built from toyota and plugs them in.

Lotus adds better cooling and oiling systems to the engines of the cup cars.

The engine does have some weakness, but rather than decrease the time between rebuilds, they general destroy the engine. Search the forum for examples.

if something goes wrong the Toyota 2zz-ge is really cheap as engines go...
+1

its no different from the street car engine or gearbox wise..

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey, look at it this way...they're WAY cheaper than a Porsche Cup car!!! :)

They are light, tires are small, brakes are small, and you only have 4 cylinders.....there are just less moving parts and they are very simple cars, using a Toyota stock drivetrain and motor, not one that's been modified to be a "race motor", so you don't have the ridiculous rebuilds that are required with other race cars. From my experience, and knowing a bunch of people that own them.....just drive them until they break. I've seen very few problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks EVERYONE! Jack, I will return your call soon. hanks for playing phone tag to date...Brad
Also...if you're looking for a Cup car....I have FOUR in stock......very nicely priced.....and you can come TEST DRIVE one of them on the track to see if it's the car for you!!!

If by Jack you mean "Track Jack" you can ask him about us too. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts