The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my '06 Elise and picked it up this Saturday when I found this part in the trunk. Could anyone identify it? The previous owner says he's never seen it & the dealership that performed the inspection said that they never took any part out of the car during the inspection. I just want to know if I should be driving without this part on the car? There is no part number or even any Lotus lettering on this part.

Attachments

·
give me my second cam!
477 Posts
Its the intake snorkel that is attached to the airbox. Lots of people remove it...its not required to be attached in order to drive the car.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It makes glorious sounds with that snorkel removed when you hit the second cam. I heard that it was added to quiet down the intake sound for the US market. Not sure if that's true but that is what it does

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
i always assumed the snorkel was there to keep water out. Given its shape, makes water pretty difficult to get into the airbox

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the help. I shouldn't worry then. It does sound like how angels in motorsports heaven would sing after the race cam engages :D.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It makes glorious sounds with that snorkel removed when you hit the second cam. I heard that it was added to quiet down the intake sound for the US market. Not sure if that's true but that is what it does
It's also on european 111R ! But anyway any 111R deserve a TRD airbox (also called "cup airbox") instead of the original air box :)

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Many people's first mods include pulling the sun visors and the intake snorkel.

I think its major function is to modulate the exhaust note, making the car more appealing to soccer moms. Now all they have to do is add five more seats, a sliding door, and six cup holders...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Haha. That goofy thing attaches to the airbox with one tiny screw. It doesn't even seal tight to the circular inlet on the box... :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts